combat penalty

Started by WampireHunter, February 26, 2004, 09:12:37 AM

I dont know if i should ask it or not, but here it comes;

Do any of you know if "very light", "no problem" and "light" encumbrances give penalties in combat. Surely the rest do, but i couldnt see a remakrable difference in my character's combat efficiency in those three encumbrances. May be the penalty begins with easily manageable. Do any of you have experiences on that?

As with most questions that ask how the code works, most people will tell you to find out yourself.  See, the code is basically hidden from us for a reason...people start to exploit the code when they know how it works.  Just go off the assumption that any encumberance can affect your ability...to do anything that being encumbered would affect.  The more encumbered you are, the more of a penalty you would accrue.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "WampireHunter"Do any of you know if "very light", "no problem" and "light" encumbrances give penalties in combat.
Would you get it IRL? Yes. Would your character get it ICly? Yes. Then you should roleplay accordingly and don't worry about whether or not the code is able to portray this realistically.

Would you fight with heavy encumberance regularly if the code didn't take it into account? Would it be IC for you to?

The only problem I have with the way this works, is that in real life you would know the moment you were carrying enough to impede your movements.
As it stands the only way to tell is by guessing from the encumbrance and getting into combat to test it out.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "jhunter"As it stands the only way to tell is by guessing from the encumbrance and getting into combat to test it out.
No need to. Since you can safely assume that it would matter IRL, you can just handle it as something that does matter. No matter if the code makes it matter or not.
This incredible game is giving us so much liberty in our RP. We're free to use it, I think.

Edited since I reread the original post. I had let myself be mislead by the posts to follow to assume that the original question had been on encumbrance in general while in fact it was only on the very light "levels" of encumbrance.
Makes the whole thing a lot more difficult. Heck, I often can't tell IRL how much I'm loaded. At that level, distribution of weight matters so much more. If asked if the code takes anything into account, I still tend to reply with "it's diku based, it's not perfect, and that's all for the charme of leaving the liberty of interpretation and RP".
while true{
If Armageddon were an LP mud, the code would be carefully balanced and tweaked to take every facet into consideration. And players would refuse to accept anything that wasn't backed by the code. And we'd all be elsewhere, at some highly modified little Diku Desert...}
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]

Apparently you don't understand...I'd have to say things I probably shouldn't on the board for you to...

Quote from: "jhunter"The only problem I have with the way this works, is that in real life you would know the moment you were carrying enough to impede your movements.
Encumberance is specific for each person depending what they can carry. Fighters who were equally skilled and both had light encumberance would be impeded an equal amount. They might be carrying completely different amounts, but because of their strength they'd be impeded an equal amount.

So do you think light encumberance would impede you? Probably a little, but not worth worrying over. What about more encumberance? Probably impede you more ;)

NOTE: I've never seen this work in game, I'm using real life logic.

Right...I fail to see how your point relates to what I said.

Quote from: "jhunter"The only problem I have with the way this works, is that in real life you would know the moment you were carrying enough to impede your movements.
Your saying that IRL you know how much weight you can carry before your movements are impeded. I was saying because of how encumberance works, you can work it out in game without trial and error in fighting.

Then if you think this, I've figured out something about it that you have not...that is all I can say here.

QuoteThen if you think this, I've figured out something about it that you have not...that is all I can say here.

Heh, pretty much everybody else has said, in a nutshell, that regardless of what they may or may not know or think, they are not going to tell since the discussion of actual code mechanics is rather frowned on.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I dont know if i should ask it or not, but here it comes;

Do any of you know if "very light", "no problem" and "light" encumbrances give penalties in combat. Surely the rest do, but i couldnt see a remakrable difference in my character's combat efficiency in those three encumbrances. May be the penalty begins with easily manageable. Do any of you have experiences on that?
I don't see what the big secret is.  Encumbrance combat penalties are not much if you aren't encumbered (duh!). (i.e. "very light", "no problem", or "light").
Rick