Teach

Started by creeper386, February 19, 2004, 05:46:12 AM

Quote from: "AC"The teach command can't make you an expert, but it can get you past that akward total-newbie phase.

This brought up something I've been curious about for sometime. From my experience, that quote is absolutely wrong. Whenever someone tries to teach me anything, even if I totally suck at it, or have never tried, with various classes ... It's always told me it that my character already knows the basics. I don't know the exact wording but I read it as telling me that little teach does jack shit code wise.

Maybe it's just that way to keep using the teach command down? I don't know. How everyone says, teaching someone is dependent on both persons scores. So, if someone with a similar skill level to yours tries teaching you it doesn't help but if a master is teaching a newbie it helps. From the ONLY echo I've seen with the teach command, this isn't the case at all.

Comes down to the question of does anyone know if it acctually really does anything at all? Ever? Probably won't get a straight answer, but figured I'd post about something.

Creeper
-Who does have a phone and internet at home again, now the trouble of rather or not I can acctually continue playing my character.
21sters Unite!

That isn't the only echo.   There's also an echo that tells you if it was successful.    And I think there's at least one other type of failure echo, too.

It might be in your case that based on your class, the starting level of some skill is too high to begin with.   I don't know.   That seems a little odd to me, but that's the only thing that makes sense to me if you've literally never used the skill.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Well, it's good to hear there might be more echoes. I've never seen a different one.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I've been both the reciever and the user of the teach command, and I've only been unsuccessful with it a couple of times. More often than not, it works like it's supposed to, and I, or the person I'm teaching, get a "You have gotten better at X" message.
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz"That is, at least, a step in the right direction, even if it is a step off the Shield Wall."

I've been on both sides of a few different skills.

First, its skill dependent.  There are some skills that cannot be taught via teach, ever, and they will always get the message you listed.  Second, you need the skill on your skill list.  Third, they need to be a fair amount more skilled at the particular skill than you are.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

One of my character's was fortunate enough to sit in on some lectures within the first day or so of playing, and he received the teach command on a few skills before ever using them.  What a difference...It is quite noticeable, I find, when you're able to pull this off, keeping in mind the people teaching me were -much- better.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]