Tents

Started by Tamarin, February 12, 2004, 05:05:27 PM

Kank's break if Half-giants sit on them. Only inix and larger size beasts can carry them.
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

Quote from: "ashjpd"Thanks Carnage.  :P  Finaly someone is sticking up for me!! :wink:

It's not sticking up for you, it's for the idea. It has its merits and I like it. In a primitive world like Zalanthas, people would want every bit of camouflage they could get in the desert.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Heh, yea, the half-giant could carry the kank easy though:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Getting stamina back faster isn't abuse of a tent, it is the primary purpose of the tent.  That is why you carry a tent instead of just rolling up in your sturdy sandcloth cloak.

Any tent which has an opening big enough to admit a half-giant should be big enough to admit at least the smaller mounts like sunback lizards and erdlus.  Sunbacks and erdlus are larger then men, but not larger than half-giants.  (Can some half-giant go assess -v an erldu and sunback to confirm this for me?  Thanks.)  If possible, tents should do a size check.  Half-giants should not be able to enter small tents, and some animals should be able to enter very large tents.

Half-giants are usually potty trained, and most animals are not, so you might not want animals in your tent.  However, due to a direct question, I have been pondering Zalanthan fecal matter lately.  :twisted:  It will depend partly on what the subject has been eating, carnivores produce much fouler, smellier fecal matter than herbavores.  So sunback lizards and other carnivorous mounts will make stinker manure than inix do, and omnivourous scavenging mounts that eat anything will be somewhere in between.  Regardless of diet, the fecal matter of desert creatures is smaller and drier than that of similar sized non-desert creatures.  Don't take my word for it, go get yourself a mouse and a gerbil, in seperate cages.  Gerbils are adapted for desert life, so even when they have unlimited water available they will produce less urine and smaller poops than same-size mice.  As it happens, dryer poops are also less smelly than wet ones.

How does this apply to indoor mounts?  When they poop inside the tent (and they likely will) their droppings will be smaller and drier than, say, a horse.  The smell factor will be related to diet.  It shouldn't be too hard to scoop up the poops, because they won't be wet splats like you get from horses and cows, then you just toss or roll them out the doorway.  The animals themself probably don't smell worse than the humanoids they travel with.  I've only had close contact with a few birds and lizards, and I've never sniffed an insect, but they didn't seem to have a strong body odour compared to sweaty, warm-blooded mammals.  
Getting under shelter with your horse or mule isn't uncommon for earth humans in harsh environments.  Why wouldn't you want to get your trusty mount out of the storm, if you could?  

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

QuoteBad idea. Give Desert Elves something to steal, I say!

Problem is, you can hitch a kank, rest it, enter a tent and still have it hitched to you...making it impossible for that stealthy d-elf lurking behind a nearby dune to haul-ass up, snag the kank and haul-ass off even tho the human is resting comfortably inside the tent..kank thievery is near impossible out in the wastes as it is...only if you get the PC to move a room *away* from their kank, while it's resting, will the kank finally become unhitched and available for theft.

As far as a kank inside a tent..well, I think the idea is a bit absurd, unless it's one bigass tent...but something I've always wondered is..why does it ALWAYS have to be a tent? All you really need to create some shade is material over your head, and possibly blocking one direction. Why can't there be something like a tarp, and some wooden poles? I've always thought SOMEONE woulda come up with some way to create some shade for their kank, even if it was as crude as jabbing a few poles into the ground, and draping a large, sandcloth tarp over it to create a roof, and a wall in one direction to block out the sun. Voila, shade for you AND yer little kank. Sure, wouldn't do much to protect against weather, but codewise maybe just have it add 'shade' to the room for regen purposes, instead of the indoor regen a tent gives.

Nice idea drunkendwarf, I like it, maybe you or someone else can send the item description and stuff to the staff, if no one else will, I will work on it next Saturday when arm is down.
uppers.

Quote from: "drunkendwarf"
QuoteBad idea. Give Desert Elves something to steal, I say!

Problem is, you can hitch a kank, rest it, enter a tent and still have it hitched to you...making it impossible for that stealthy d-elf lurking behind a nearby dune to haul-ass up, snag the kank and haul-ass off even tho the human is resting comfortably inside the tent.

That isn't completely true.  Yes, you can enter some objects without becoming unhitched, but it isn't a "solid" hitch.  Much as it pains me to reveal this little quirk to the unwashed masses, I suppose I have to.  A kank hitched to someone who isn't in the room stays hitched, but anyone else can come along and take the kank anyway.  Just for fun I once mounted a kank while the hitched owner was inside a shop tent, I think he got a message that someone mounted his kank because he rushed out of the tent, but the "loose" hitch didn't prevent me from mounting.  I've also had a kank stollen from me while I was inside an object yet still hitched, but I was also asleep so I didn't get a messge.  Heck, once I got arrested while hitched to a kank, despite the fact that the kank was standing inside the gates and I was all the way over in the prison, I didn't become unhitched until after I was released from jail and took a step on my own.

The "loose" hitch is convient since it saves you from having to re-hitch, but you don't get the benefits of a full hitch.  It isn't thief proof.  If you are hitched to a mount but not in the same room with it, then it will not quit out with you.  

QuoteAs far as a kank inside a tent..well, I think the idea is a bit absurd, unless it's one bigass tent.

What if it isn't a kank or an inix, but instead a sunback or erdlu?  They aren't exactly tiny either, but are much smaller than a kank.

QuoteAll you really need to create some shade is material over your head, and possibly blocking one direction. Why can't there be something like a tarp, and some wooden poles?

Like a lean-to?  Cool.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

QuoteLike a lean-to? Cool.
AC

Gah, SURE...if you want to be clear and concise about it.

QuoteNice idea drunkendwarf, I like it, maybe you or someone else can send the item description and stuff to the staff, if no one else will, I will work on it next Saturday when arm is down.

Knock yourself out on that one..I'm not much for the fancy wordin'. See above.