Combat improvements...Stamina

Started by Agent_137, February 11, 2004, 07:23:38 PM

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"But don't you think this would introduce fighting styles to the game? I mean, should a lone d-elf really stand toe-to-toe with a dwarf? I mean, maybe they'll try those arrows out, hmmmm?

Why would a d-elf not be allowed to go one on one with a dwarf, if they are skilled enough? Their speed alone gives them a godly advantage, allowing them to pepper said dwarf with a ton of blows.

In answer to your q, though, I say no. It would not introduce new fighting styles into the game. It would introduce ooc strategies to deal with your foes, IMO.

I have one question.

Would this fuck over D-Elves or make them too buff?

Seems everyone has a different opinion, so I personally think that argument is flawed (considering everyone can't agree on what effect it has).

It depends on the situation.  ;)

It isn't just delves vs. everybody else, because anyone can be travelling on foot.  In general half-giants and dwarves might have slightly higher natural stamina than humans and half-elves, because they usually have higher strength and endurance.  Clothes have a huge effect too, it is easy to get over 150 if you dress all in sandcloth.  Low strength characters (like elves and half-elves) are more likely to wear sandcloth, simply because they can't wear heavy armor without taking penalties.  

If you get attacked unexpectedly by some beastie, the pedestrian has an advantage.  He is already on the ground and has his weapons out, while the rider will be taking hard hits until he dismounts or falls off his kank.  Same as now.

If you get into a fight and want to flee half way through (or the other guy does) then the riders will probably be in better shape to make a clean get away or chase down a cowardly runner, because the mount's stamina is unimpared.

If you want to stand and fight?  That would depend on how close the pedestrian was to his rest spot.  A fully rested delf or half-giant dressed in sandcloth could have an advantage over a heavily armored human, just hold out until the human colapses from exhaustion.  But if the pedestrian was on his way to his rest spot and had already lost half his stamina, then he would be in trouble no matter what race he is.

Location, location, location!  If you are inside a city, slum or undercity, then chances are that everyone will be on foot, so those with naturally higher stamina will have an advantage.  The dynamics in the middle of nowhere will be different than in wilderness right near a civilized location.

In conclusion, I don't know.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"In answer to your q, though, I say no. It would not introduce new fighting styles into the game. It would introduce ooc strategies to deal with your foes, IMO.
Uhm...

Nevermind, I like you.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Forget the delves for a moment, it's not important to the stamina discussion.

The vital heart here is that the current combat system is not developed enough to incorporate stamina. While Armageddon could stand for a more intricate combat system which *should* involve becoming fatigued by movement in battle, this restriction should not come without options and choices and fun stuff along for the ride.

Combat should not become more of a pain in the ass unless I get more options and choices in combat to balance the new difficulty.