Elven Ranger

Started by Tamarin, February 09, 2004, 12:36:46 PM

Can elves be rangers?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

*desert* elves can be rangers.  Its a different race.
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

Why can't city elves be rangers?  I'm not saying they shouldn't, I just don't know what the reasoning is.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

They're city people...not wilderness people, city elves are.  I'm pretty sure that sums the logic up right there.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Desert elves can't be assassins and burglars (IIRC), city elves can't be rangers.  Because each race's focus is implied in their name.  City elves are capable of wandering through the desert, but they really aren't much more fit for it than any given human from when I've played with them.  And at least  humans can hop on a kank.

So, the combination of poor movement outdoors and the complete aversion to riding kanks makes your average outdoors city elf a shortlived enough one to make the guild unavailable.  I know there have been city elves who did well enough in the sands, but those are the exceptions.

Quote from: "CRW"Desert elves can't be assassins and burglars

Or pickpockets.

A part of me wishes that they could though... and that they'd substitute city sneak/hide for wilderness sneak/hide.
Back from a long retirement

Bleh. I want a desert elf assassin. Friggin' Scorpion King it up.

Played once a city elf warrior (subguild armorcrafter) with the urge to travel the desert and to contact a tribe. I played him like a ranger and had a lot of fun with him.
I think you could not choose ranger because riding is major skill of rangers.
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

I've played I think 2 Desert elf Rangers. Desert Elves use to be able to run longer I think, but they can still do very well in the desert.
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

Desert elves, which should be even more anti-riding can be rangers, Lasakar.  I'm sure that's not it.  I'm pretty sure t's what the different types of elves focus on, based off typical environment.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "uberjazz"Can elves be rangers?
No, but they can be hunters... If that helps any.

You don't necessarily need to have the guild Ranger for your character to say that you are a ranger in game. If you know what I mean.
uppers.

... and sometimes that makes for the most interesting character concepts. First off, it takes the urge to progress the coded skills away, since they're only marginally relevant to the basic concept (but still can develop into a valid and interesting streak in the char, it may just take a bit longer to evolve). Second, it frees from thinking in the stereotypes of the class system, allowing for a greatly enlarged choice of background and occupation. And third... without the pressure to push coded skills into branching, chances are the char will live longer. Long enough to develop on his own.
Last... when the char has developed his own profile and standing, there might come a point when you could mail in a summary to the powers that be, maybe even asking for trading one skillset for something else you consider vital. It's best though not to base the char on a 'vital but unaccessible' skillset. And I guess 'cooking for backstab' doesn't sound like an option either ;-)
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]

City elves grew up in a city.  They have spent the majority of their life in a city.  As such, they lack the familiarity with the desert to have the ranger guild.

Desert elves grew up in the desert.  They have spent the majority of their life outside of a city.  As such, they lack the burglar, pickpocket and assassin guilds.

I have seen this information posted up somewhere before I am fairly sure, but it should be fairly obvious when one remembers there is only one elven race; the different between city elves and desert elves -is- their background.

So, if you are a city elf, no, you didn't grow up outside the city, learning the subtle skills of the ranger and learning how to tame the wildest mekillot with a mere glance.  You grew up in a city.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "Kill4Free"**Edited by Tlaloc**
What in God's name possessed you to post this? Don't tell them how to exploit something!
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The only problem I have with the way it is...desert-elves should be able to be assassins...the the outland versions of them. Other than that everything else about the way it is makes sense to me.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Doing it the way Kill4Free posted would be considered exploiting a bug, and whoever did so would be subject to the full brunt of the staff's wrath for doing so. Frankly, I'm dissapointed someone thought it was a bright idea to post how to exploit a bug on the public forums.

Some classes are not allowed to Desert Elves. Some classes are not allowed to City-Elves. Some classes are not allowed to Half-giants, nor halflings, nor many other races. There are many, very logical reasons why they aren't allowed - and ergo, its not something that should be circumvented.

In the future, if you find bugs such as that one, for the love of Ginka, and all that is holy, email that shit to the Mud, and use the 'bug' command.

Edit: I have deleted/edited the posts detailing this. Please continue with your normal thread. ;)
Tlaloc
Legend

I didnt post it as how to exploit a bug, as I dont think it really matters at all wether you are a half-elf ranger or a elven ranger, but I can see that you take it more seriously then I thought it called for.

Quote from: "Kill4Free"I didnt post it as how to exploit a bug, as I dont think it really matters at all wether you are a half-elf ranger or a elven ranger, but I can see that you take it more seriously then I thought it called for.

If code prevents you from doing something, but a backdoor in the program does, how could that not be assumed to be a bug?  Don't post/do things like that, end of story.

He didnt know. End of story stop hounding him on it, he apologized and that is it.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

QuoteThe only problem I have with the way it is...desert-elves should be able to be assassins...the the outland versions of them. .

I think assassins are the city rangers.  And rangers are the wilderness assassins anyway.  

Thinking that way, archery is the wilderness version of backstab.

That is all my way of thinking
some of my posts are serious stuff

I agree with Ghost, since he's Turkish.. (Heil Hitler!  :twisted: )
No no.. That was the answer I was going to type, really.. Since it's way more easier to pierce him from 2.5 rooms away (I always walk to the edge of the room. It increases the chances..) I believe no desert folk would bother trying to stab someone after sneaking to that man's a** with great difficulty. And I don't think it's IC leakage.. Code allows us to poison arrows, too, just like IRL.. Wow, what a code!!
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

twilight posted
QuoteCity elves grew up in a city. They have spent the majority of their life in a city. As such, they lack the familiarity with the desert to have the ranger guild.

Now I dont know but arent humans mostly city dwellers? How come city dwelling humans can be rangers, shouldnt only tribal humans be allowed the ranger class just like desert elves? Just I thought...
nce an arm junkie, always an arm junkie!!

Quote from: "kiddgoth"twilight posted
QuoteCity elves grew up in a city. They have spent the majority of their life in a city. As such, they lack the familiarity with the desert to have the ranger guild.

Now I dont know but arent humans mostly city dwellers? How come city dwelling humans can be rangers, shouldnt only tribal humans be allowed the ranger class just like desert elves? Just I thought...

Thats a good point, but generally its assumed human rangers are hunters.  Celfs dont leave cities for a few reasons, one being that they refuse to ride and so they'd be piss poor hunters.  The second is that city tribes are generally oriented to city things, like theft.  Why bother leaving the city when theres plenty of roundear marks all around you?

Pick warrior with hunter if you must.  I think no celf rangers helps keep some nice theme and distinctions in the world.

kid, my man...
Humans come from everywhere, and there's little difference between the two.  There are tribal humans and city humans and hermit humans living in a cave on the top of the world...and they're basically all the same.

Elves, however, are basically the same, but some have more practice doing some things over others...and the ones that have more practice outside are desert elves, and the ones that have more practice inside are city elves.  It's really that simple.  The city/desert thing is just a matter of background.