A wooden sword is displayed upon the wall here.

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, February 08, 2004, 09:20:18 PM

Yes or No?

Yes.
52 (89.7%)
No.
6 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: February 08, 2004, 09:21:39 PM

This is just a simple suggestion, and I figured the code forum would be the best place to post it.

In save rooms, when you drop an item with a custom ldesc, couldn't  there be a way to save it when the room saves? Currently, with every reboot, we must pick up everything and redrop it.

I don't know about you, but I'd like to not have to redrop everything with every reboot.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'd love to see this, but it seems somewhat hard to code.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Actually, I had this sort of situation before. I just made a macro where I'd pick everything up and drop it with the ldesc. That's the best work around, in my opinion.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Subtract one 'no' vote; I clicked the wrong button.

Quote from: "Carnage"Actually, I had this sort of situation before. I just made a macro where I'd pick everything up and drop it with the ldesc. That's the best work around, in my opinion.

The only problem is 6 identical containers since the object order seems to get flipped around every reboot.  If it only takes two macros, then that isn't so bad.

The other benefit is if you aren't on to set it, nobody comes in and wonders why the heck there are clothes strewn all over the place.  When actually you had dropped them with an ldesc to state that they were all neatly folded.

I've been yelled at ICly for stranger things before, and it creates one of those awkward 'oh but I did fold them up' moments.

Anyways, IMHO this would be a nice thing, but a low priority.

I believe that this is not a coding issue at all. The reason that this would probably be an issue at all would be the amount of machine resources required. But my question then becomes, just how much would it take? Coding concerns would be the least of the factors soliciting a 'no' from staff.

I agree, it would be great to have it fixed, but I'm just giving a temporary work around.
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

Especially when you have really heavy objects that needed a fewpeople to get in there and that you can't lift yourself to drop again.
ugar and Spice

Even now, when you redrop something, and the room didn't save yet, and the the game crashes, you lose the stuff you dropped that were there if th room saved itself when you didn't have the things dropped. I have lost many things like that, and it is quite annoying for the staff and myself to have to deal with weather it was stolen or not in my apartment and stuff of that sort.
uppers.

This is definatly a machine resources issue.  I'm pretty sure it would take up an insanely large number of them, considering all the save rooms and ldescs people might put on objects.  I don't think it adds as much to the game as it would take away (in system memory) and ultimatly the game manages to go on longer and longer these days without a crash, so do we really need this?

It's a good idea, but I don't feel it's feasible.

Quote from: "ashjpd"Even now, when you redrop something, and the room didn't save yet, and the the game crashes, you lose the stuff you dropped that were there if th room saved itself when you didn't have the things dropped. I have lost many things like that,

Save smart.

>get all
>save
>drop blah blah blah

Save after you pick up, but -not- after you drop.  That way in the event of a crash you will probably still have one copy of the items.  Sometimes you wind up with two copies, but junking the duplicates is easy and doesn't require imm intervention.

If you have many heavy objects in the room you may not be able to pick up everything at once, then you have a decision to make.  Either you pick up and save on the most valuable objects, or you decide the default ldesc on a couple of the heavy objects is ok as it is.  Maybe you'd rather have it clear that you've pushed your gigantic four poster bed or heavy chest into the northeast corner of the room, but is it really necessary, or will the default ldesc do?  That way you only need to pick up the objects whose default ldesc is completely inappropriate, and those will probably fit in your inventory together.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

It's as annoying as fuck when you have someone that owns things.

Thankfully I rarely have characters that own things they don't carry with them all the time :)

I bugged this a while ago, it hasn't been fixed. So I imagine it's either a resource hog or hard to code or the Imms are busy with other stuff.

But then again, would it really be THAT much of an extra strain then say all those NPCs with custom ldescs? I don't know. Maybe. But most people seem to have things packed away (either in stuff or on stuff).

Yes... I hate it when I spend a good hour picking up and droping things, just the way I like them .. then the game crashes..

GRRR....

If possible, this is a fantastic idea...
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

AC, I thought characters were saved every 10 minutes, but rooms were saved infrequently compared to that.  That would mean that if your character was saved between when you saved and dropped shit, and then the mud crashed, you'd still be S.O.L.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

For a moment I would just ask people stop and think of the size of this.  Imagine all the save rooms in game.. and imagine if just everyone had a single object with a ldesc saved to it. There are a LOT of save rooms and while saving one line of text might not be so bad, doinging it probably thousands of times (considering that more likely some saved rooms would have several such objects in it) and considering how the mud would probably have to do it code wise, I wish we could get a coder imm to explain how feasible this is, but personally, I'm almost positive it's just beyond the limitations of system resources.

Frustration of having to pick up and drop items again is kind of a petty arguement.  If people go into your room regularly, maybe you have to pick them up and drop them again to TIDY UP.  Consider a moment the room is LIVED IN? USED?  What does this mean? It means you can't expect everything to stay perfect and unmoved forever.  Living someplace and using it makes it messy.  Unorganized.

What people are basically complaining about IMO is that they have to tidy up their save rooms.  OMG, imagine that.  I'm not talking about the reorganizing that can take hours.  Just little tidying.  

My point? The fact that ldescs don't save is perfectly okay, when you decide to reset your ldescs just claim you're tidying up.  Infact, I would almost venture to say this is like unto a feature that could enhance rp in that it would force a char who's interested in apperances to tidy up.

It is not beyond the system's ability to deal with. This is one concrete fact that I'll dole out now. What it might be is too consuming of the machine's processes to be convenient.

Having spoken to the person, Saikun, who runs the machine, I am fairly certian that it is the latter case.

Sounds like a definite resourcehog, though maybe a feature could be added to change the ldescs of items already sitting in the room, without picking them up?

change ddesc [dropped-desc] There is ~ here.  It's smelly.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

QuoteMy point? The fact that ldescs don't save is perfectly okay, when you decide to reset your ldescs just claim you're tidying up. Infact, I would almost venture to say this is like unto a feature that could enhance rp in that it would force a char who's interested in apperances to tidy up.

One problem I see here... If there is something wrong that causes the game to crash ... Just doing "alittle" tidying up, that takes a good solid IC game day, and doing it two or three times a WEEK? I think that's BEYOND just alittle tidying. And then what about the neat freaks? They are ALWAYS doing alittle tidying here and there and it never gets that bad? Nah, IC solution doesn't work well unless your having virtual orgies when your not around.

It would be a big resource hog though. Having to save all the sdescs and such every time the room saves, but if your important and have been around along time. You could probably have a chance to get your items modified so that they have a different default position. Maybe not EVERYthing but just the big stuff that probably isn't going anywhere without alot of difficulty(Huge beds, Armoirs and such). It couldn't hurt to ask, specially if you already have staff support.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

QuoteOne problem I see here... If there is something wrong that causes the game to crash ... Just doing "alittle" tidying up, that takes a good solid IC game day, and doing it two or three times a WEEK? I think that's BEYOND just alittle tidying. And then what about the neat freaks? They are ALWAYS doing alittle tidying here and there and it never gets that bad? Nah, IC solution doesn't work well unless your having virtual orgies when your not around.

Then make an alias in your client, which is what I've done before and have mentioned before.

Alias: room

get block
drop block ~ sits to the side here.
get dresser
drop dresser ~ is pushed against a wall beside the bed.
get bed
drop bed ~ rests against the center of the northern wall.

It's not hard at all and takes about 3 seconds to completely change the ldesc of items in your room.
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

If making an alias is beyond your ability, a saved Word document's just as good.

Actually I think its kind of nice to have things get messed up now and again. It provides some work for those characters who have the job and/or habit of keeping things clean.  And its realistic that stuff would get messed up - especially in busy areas like barracks.

You can always just play it like the chest that was neatly tucked in the corner is now moved to the center of the room and you have to rearrange things to get them back "just so".
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

Didn't vote because I woulda put yes, but then its LOW priority & I wouldn't mind either way.
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

Staff, the playerbase has very obviously taken the side of this improvement. So, what are your thoughts? What's the deal, guys?

If I could change the ldesc of an item without having to pick it up, that would make me perfectly happy. A large reason for that is because a chest/dresser/table or what have you is often much too heavy to pick up without emptying it out, plus, it shouldn't really be moving anyway. So being able to set an ldesc to reflect its position without having to empty it out, pick it up, and drop it would be swell.

Plus, being able to RP tidying up and cleaning the room without having to pick up each item and drop it (which often looks awkward) would be so much nicer.