Shops opening and closing annoying?

Started by Tmp, February 08, 2004, 02:10:46 PM

Shops that close at night, does it annoy you?

No it doesn't, it's realistic, and I like realism
29 (47.5%)
Yes, it's an inconvenience to the players that adds nothing to the world.
22 (36.1%)
I don't give a damn.
10 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: February 08, 2004, 02:10:46 PM

I was just wondering what the players of armageddon think in general about the fact that some(?) shops open and close at night.

Now instead of being able to shop whenever I want to, I spend time waiting for the damn sun to come up before I can. Sure, it's realistic, as a player I find it highly annoying. It's an inconvenience to the player, especially during the times where I just want to grab an item without having to worry what time it is, or waiting until it's open.

Time moves fast in this game, it's not hard to wait till morning comes when you can go to a shop.  I used to hate the change on hack and slash were night and day were LITERALLY the same, but on arm, it is a rp mud, it does make a difference.  

It was a good call.

I'm with UnderSeven.. For Arm, a RP mud, it makes perfect sense to have shops that aren't open 24/7 or uh, 9/11 in this case.

It's annoying as hell sometimes, but I just work around it. No problem really.

I like it.  It's only annoying because we've gotten used to things being a different way.

The only problem I have is that most stores seem to have horribly unreasonable hours.
Back from a long retirement

I've played in a game where the banks were closed 11 of the 24 IC hours in a day.  And in this game, the bank was very important as you never wanted to be carrying around excess amounts of coin because there was no way to guard it against theft and there were a lot of thieves.

It was often annoying, but it was realistic and it meant you had to plan things in advance just as in Arm you have to plan journeys into the desert around the city gates opening.

You learn to deal with it.  And it does give more of a feeling of day and night being different.

--Medena
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

It's just that ... it feels like it adds so little to the game except another annoying thing that you have to wait around and time for. Most of us with jobs are busy throughout the day, nighttime being relatively free for our own pursuits. Taking away leisure shopping at night feels like a restriction to my choice of activities.

And it's not unplausible that shops open in the big cities 24/7, with a large population encased and protected within the walls from a harsh land outside, surely they must have heard of late-night shopping.

The shops I believe have differeing hours, some might very well be opened all night.  Some maybe more geared toward leisure?  I think your arguement actually managed to speak more FOR having shop hours than against.  

Everything you just said about activities would be a moot point if there wasn't shop hours.

Quote from: "Tmp"And it's not unplausible that shops open in the big cities 24/7, with a large population encased and protected within the walls from a harsh land outside, surely they must have heard of late-night shopping.
..or might serve an important figure while ignoring the commoners, yes, assuming they don't have the staff to buy their groceries [which instantly begs whether the figure is 'important' enough, chuckle].

The only thing I'd've done differently would be to differentiate the timespan among shops and alter the storekeepers' ldescs when closed, or simply have them 'go home' and replaced by the night watchmen.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "UnderSeven"The shops I believe have differeing hours, some might very well be opened all night.  Some maybe more geared toward leisure?  I think your arguement actually managed to speak more FOR having shop hours than against.  

When I speak of leisure shopping, I mean me OOCly as the player, having the time to leisurely go for a stroll and take a look at the different items on sale. I don't know if anyone else enjoys that, it's an activity I find very pleasurable. Sometimes I just want to find out (or refresh my memory, I don't go keeping a list of items sold by a shop in a .txt file) if a shop sells a particular item, but when it is closed I can't even list it. The shopkeeper is there, but I can't even ask him whether he sells particular item xyz because he's just an NPC.

I don't really understand how my argument speaks more for having shop hours ...

My character is supposed to be on a schedule. That means my PC can't get anything from one of the shops except 3 game days a week. Oftentimes those days come when I'm long asleep in rl. I have to disobey orders just to catch the shop open every couple of RL days. If it was a shop that didnt sell anything I needed I wouldn't care but it does so I do. Lucky my superiors are understaning.
ugar and Spice

Quote from: "Bardex"My character is supposed to be on a schedule. That means my PC can't get anything from one of the shops except 3 game days a week. Oftentimes those days come when I'm long asleep in rl. I have to disobey orders just to catch the shop open every couple of RL days. If it was a shop that didnt sell anything I needed I wouldn't care but it does so I do. Lucky my superiors are understaning.

Ok, let's take a real-life example: banks.  Standard banking hours are 8 or 9 in the morning to 5 in the evening.  Of course, most of the time you can use the ATM to do what you need to do, but let's say you need to do something that requires a live bank employee.  You work 8-5 on weekdays.  Therefore you either need to go on Saturday (if your bank has Saturday hours) or on your lunchtime, or take an hour away from your workweek to go.  That is real life.  Things aren't always convenient, and I think this is one case where Arm should reflect reality.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

aren't shop hours supposed to be annoying anywaY?
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"The only problem I have is that most stores seem to have horribly unreasonable hours.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Has anybody else ever been baffled by Callisto's practice of quoting somebody and then having no text message of her own?

I've taken to the hypothesis that the dancing pig in the signature is meant to be a response to the quoted text.
Back from a long retirement

I think the way that shops are done now is just fine. It's not that inconvenient; absolute necessities like food and water are always available, and major chain stores like Salarr and Kadius are always open. I think it reflects life in a nice way that adds to RP. In real life you have the 24/7 Wallmarts and 7-11s, and then you have the smaller stores that open and close based on time. The game does a good job of mirroring that without overly inconveniencing players.

Quote from: "crymerci"
Ok, let's take a real-life example: banks.  Standard banking hours are 8 or 9 in the morning to 5 in the evening.  Of course, most of the time you can use the ATM to do what you need to do, but let's say you need to do something that requires a live bank employee.  You work 8-5 on weekdays.  Therefore you either need to go on Saturday (if your bank has Saturday hours) or on your lunchtime, or take an hour away from your workweek to go.  That is real life.  Things aren't always convenient, and I think this is one case where Arm should reflect reality.

Understandable. If it took less real time to get to the shop I'd go on my character's lunch time. But with the movement delay....you can't get there and back in such a short period. And the whole saturday thing, in real life you don't spend the entire day asleep or "unavailable" (logged out).
ugar and Spice

Quote from: "Bardex"Understandable. If it took less real time to get to the shop I'd go on my character's lunch time. But with the movement delay....you can't get there and back in such a short period.

The city holds 500k people.  If anything, I think there isn't enough movement delay to represent that, but I'm not a masochist.

I imagine Allanak to be bigger than Boston which has the benefit of stacking it's population in highrise apartment buildings.  And there is no way you could walk from one side to the other in the course of a morning like you can do in game.

How can you compare a modern city with mass transportation and a branch of every bank in the world on every 5th city block with Allanak? Why would you? That's silly. Forget real world stuff it doesnt apply. Point is, an "hour" of lunchtime isn't enough time to do much of anything beside refill your waterskin and grab a bite to eat in Zalanthas. Plus the bank idea is crymercis not mine. I don't know where in my hometown they sell skins and shards of obsidian and poisons and herbs and broken pot shards and stringy masses of guts all in one hut. When I find one to compare it with I'll let you know.
ugar and Spice

Quote from: "Bardex"How can you compare a modern city with mass transportation and a branch of every bank in the world on every 5th city block with Allanak? Why would you? That's silly. Forget real world stuff it doesnt apply. Point is, an "hour" of lunchtime isn't enough time to do much of anything beside refill your waterskin and grab a bite to eat in Zalanthas. Plus the bank idea is crymercis not mine. I don't know where in my hometown they sell skins and shards of obsidian and poisons and herbs and broken pot shards and stringy masses of guts all in one hut. When I find one to compare it with I'll let you know.

Yeah, I think I misread you.  My bad.

Hmm, no poll option for it is annoying -and- realistic?  Bummer.

I'm pro-shop hours, but I'd like to see some changes.

Most shops should be open for 6 of the 9 hours per day.  One shop I use opens at late morning and closes at late afternoon, so she's only open 3 hours a day!  Lazy bitch.  :evil:  And what kind of lunatic would work only during the heat of midday?  I don't care if you open at dusk and work until late morning to avoid the midday heat, or open at dawn and close at dusk to avoid the darkness, but hard working commoner's shops should be open 5 or 6 hours a day.

2.  Add "talk hours" to the scripts of all shopkeepers that close.  The shopkeeper is still there and will talk even when closed, so it shouldn't be hard to add a line informing the public of their operating hours.  Or there could be a sign showing the position of the sun throughout the day with the open hours marked off (you don't need literacy for a sign like that).  Or instead of saying "I'm closed, come back later" when you try to deal with him, he could say "I'm closed, come back at High Sun" or whatever his opening hours are.  Having opperating hours is realistic, but having to camp in a shop all day to find out the hours is unrealistic.  Shopkeepers have no reason to conceal this information, and every reason to advertise it. [/list]

I've "idea"ed these in game, but since there are over 2000 items in the idea list I doubt anyone will read them this year.  :P  Still, I think these two simple changes would make the hours much less anoying and increase their realism.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
I've "idea"ed these in game, but since there are over 2000 items in the idea list I doubt anyone will read them this year.  :P  

Angela Christine

I believe that new ideas almost always get read.  I idea taste and sniff messages often, and they almost always go in on the very next saturday.

QuoteHas anybody else ever been baffled by Callisto's practice of quoting somebody and then having no text message of her own?

Actually, it's a shorthand way of stating an opinion that reflects your own that someone else has posted. It's not exactly a complex concept to comprehend.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Its a great change actually... and encourages realistic behavior. Its no more of an inconvience to the players then making death permanent, or any of the number of other things that add to a simulated realism. (I say simulated so that the realism nazi's don't jump on me about... "Well there are no giant insects or magick in real life.") Its realistic to the simulation that shopkeepers close. Not everything is an AM/PM.

I fail to see the commotion over this change as opposed to the many other things that over the years that have formed the trend that caused this change to happen.

-Gilvar