Disguise skill?

Started by cisalus, February 07, 2004, 10:37:47 PM

Maybe a skill for bards, thieves, assassins, etc. that would temporarily make their sdesc change, and maybe even have some way of temporarily changing some parts of the main desc?

Having to buy appropriate materials would obviously be neccesary..

It would bring more purpose into spy RP... and maybe somewhere branched from this an accent-faking skill?

I don't know.. Just an idea.

Sounds cool, but it would be way to hard to code. The change accent thing has come up in past posts, us the search thing to look it up.
uppers.

Quote from: "ashjpd"Sounds cool, but it would be way to hard to code.

It would not be hard to code, afaik.

Quote from: "cisalus"It would bring more purpose into spy RP... and maybe somewhere branched from this an accent-faking skill?

In other words, it would branch from another good idea that doesn't exist?

Yes, I am in full support of this non-idea.
Back from a long retirement

How would it be not hard to code then? It seems to me like something that would be hard to code....
uppers.

Seriously though.  I think the biggest issue (for both of these often-proposed ideas) is that they can never become common-place.

I would like to see them both in the world, but I don't want either of them to become the next listen skill (which is an extremely powerful, extremely useful skill which is granted to basically anybody who wants it).

They need to be tools exclusively used by master spies, only the best in their occupation.  It should take decades to get them both on your skill list, and even longer to master them.

Quote from: "ashjpd"How would it be not hard to code then? It seems to me like something that would be hard to code....

No harder than to code the effect facewraps put on your sdesc, or hoods.

Besides, as low-tech a society as Zalanthans are, there really wouldn't be many ways one could change their desc...

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"Besides, as low-tech a society as Zalanthans are, there really wouldn't be many ways one could change their desc...

That's simply untrue.  There are a lot more ways to disguise yourself than the Micheal Jackson route.

Examples:
    *  Wigs
    *  Makeup and other cosmetics
    *  Hair dye
    *  Growing a beard or shaving your head.

I'm with ERS on this one.  Playability > Realism.

Yes, anyone can wrap themselves in sandcloth, stuff some linen in their shirt and look like a big-breasted woman, but I really, really don't want a gameworld where it's that easy to disguise yourself.

In fact, I swear a certain NPC that used to be in the game about a year ago wearing them was removed because he was slaughtered, but that is my own guess.  People just go crazy for and with desc-hiding objects.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"
Quote from: "Forest Junkie"Besides, as low-tech a society as Zalanthans are, there really wouldn't be many ways one could change their desc...

That's simply untrue.  There are a lot more ways to disguise yourself than the Micheal Jackson route.

Examples:
    *  Wigs
    *  Makeup and other cosmetics
    *  Hair dye
    *  Growing a beard or shaving your head.

I think you misunderstand me. I am not disputing the ability to use wigs or makeup and such. I am referring to things such as plaster, plastic, etc, that can create very life-like images of faces.

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"I think you misunderstand me. I am not disputing the ability to use wigs or makeup and such. I am referring to things such as plaster, plastic, etc, that can create very life-like images of faces.

Well sure, but the point I was trying to get across is that just like Zalanthians can fight without metal, they can disguise themselves without sophisticated technology.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"
Quote from: "Forest Junkie"I think you misunderstand me. I am not disputing the ability to use wigs or makeup and such. I am referring to things such as plaster, plastic, etc, that can create very life-like images of faces.

Well sure, but the point I was trying to get across is that just like Zalanthians can fight without metal, they can disguise themselves without sophisticated technology.

You speak truth.

I like the idea of disguise as a high-level branched skill. Something akin in difficulty to a warrior branching razors. Make disguise kits custom order only, and expensive as hell. Cool RP possibilities...

(I've seen disguise coded before too on another diku-based Mud. It's doable.)
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

If such a thing as this were immped it would have to have a whole load of restrictions.  Like it would have to be something someone could see through, it would have to be a very hard to get skill. . Ect.

To be honest, I like things better the way they are.

If you wanna disguise yourself it's possible, just talk to the staff.

I think a better way to do this is simply sneak and hide. I don't know how easy they are to get hide you from NPCs, but I imagine they're quite easy to hide you from Players (once you stop failing at them).

No, you can't go talk to a player and be disguised, but you can move around without them noticing you (as long as you don't want to hang out in your regular haunt) and interact with NPCs as disguised.

As for a fake-accent, I'd love to see that.