Hunting

Started by jmordetsky, February 01, 2004, 04:09:02 AM

I think non-agro monsters that flee on sight of another animal or PC, should have escape pattern scripts.

For example, if a npc animal flees now, it usually just goes one tick and then hangs about like business as usuall. It would be cool if when it fled, it did a random, n,e,n,n,w. To mimic running for it's life.

This would make things alot more interesting and the 'hunt' skill much more useful to a player.

Thoughts?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Because it isn't enough of a hassle as is?  No thanks.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Would help cut down on those 5 duskhorn and 3 ritikki a day type hunters. I don't see how the added realism would detract too much from the chase & life of a hunter. Instead of forcing yourself to find a reason to only be able to hunt one or two animals a day, you would actually be lucky to hunt 2-3 animals a day.

Though.. I would want to see it a bit easier to sneak up on auto-flee mobs before flee patterns are introduced.

I dont think they are fleeing for their life, its more of a "Oh somthing strange, im going to keep my distance, i'll run a league south." When you do catch them and attack them, they fight back. Running after duskhorn as it is, is well, ick, just glad i got sneak.
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

Mixed feelings.

I agree the more npcs scrips we have to make the world seem more alive the better.  But I also feel that untill the current npc scrips are better working, we shouldn't be requesting new ones.

(Of course it's purely oppinions if they're even broken or not to begin with)

If there are NPC scripts that aren't working, I certainly haven't seen any.

The idea is highly consistent with what we see of animals in our real world.  Any hunter, especially a bow hunter, will know the difficulty or ease of hunting certain animals.

For example, some deer, I believe Mule Deer, will not simply flee, they will flee in a half circle, and come back up behind you to get a better look.  Some animals, like certain Quails, can range greatly depending on the particular species.  I've seen Quails fly up into a tree upon sighting me, but sit there like a stone on a branch while we shot.  I practically protested, that isn't fair, but that's what you get with some animals.

A lot of African quadrupeds will flee a short distance, i.e. the one-room flee.

This is a good idea, I like it, and some day would like to see it added, when possible.

Then make skinning more realistic.

I mean...you kill a carru and ruin the whole thing.
Make it take longer or something. Make it be like crafting take several minutes to complete. At the very least when you kill and try and skin something man-size or above, you WOULD get enough meat to eat of it.
I find it mind boggling unrealstic that you can ruin a whole carru or say a bahamet no matter how bad at skinning stuff you are.

I for one wouldn't be averse to a few minute crafting style delay on skinning, with perhaps a bit easier material gathering, if not on that at least on the meat...Perhaps there is a set delay say 1 minute for something the size of oh a skeet. For every size class increase you have to add another minute delay.
Or stages yeah stages. If it has a three minute delay every minute it gets carved into a new stage with materials produced. First minute horns, second minute meat, third minute hide for something like a duskhorn. Bleh.

Quote from: "Dead Newbie"Then make skinning more realistic.

Make it take longer or something. Make it be like crafting take several minutes to complete. At the very least when you kill and try and skin something man-size or above, you WOULD get enough meat to eat of it.
I find it mind boggling unrealstic that you can ruin a whole carru or say a bahamet no matter how bad at skinning stuff you are.

I for one wouldn't be averse to a few minute crafting style delay on skinning, with perhaps a bit easier material gathering, if not on that at least on the meat...Perhaps there is a set delay say 1 minute for something the size of oh a skeet. For every size class increase you have to add another minute delay.
Or stages yeah stages. If it has a three minute delay every minute it gets carved into a new stage with materials produced. First minute horns, second minute meat, third minute hide for something like a duskhorn. Bleh.

Yes.. I like that.

Longer skinning time, but perhaps both meat and other products if skilled and lucky.

Fun is what we are here for..

Quote from: "Dead Newbie"Or stages yeah stages.
This was imp'd on some animals AGES ago. I don't know if it was kept or not due to lack of interest. But yes, this was in game (and quite possibly still is in game).

QuoteThen make skinning more realistic.

Make it take longer or something. Make it be like crafting take several minutes to complete.

I like this idea a lot. Could go faster as the skill advanced, but should start slow. As is, it takes like no time at all -- other than what the player emotes.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

I know the stages was added to mekillots, but how many people hunt those for a living? I think it should be added at least to bahamets also, since they are also a huge beast, but are at least killable. Then give us a month or so to test it out.
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

Whenever new code that could kill you is being tested I always feel like it might be a time to avoid playing in that area of the game for a while.

Um...U7, how is skinning life-threatening?  I'm missing that one.

On to the most recently discussed part of this topic, I too find it wholly unrealistic that you can chop up a moose-sized creature and not get one meal (at the very least) from it.  I do like the time/easier thing...your check would not be for whether you got something and what you got, but simply what you got.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Um...U7, how is skinning life-threatening?  I'm missing that one.

Maybe if you wait too long to skin a body, it will explode.

*chuckles with mirthful glee*

Even odder then the thing exploding...

Quote from: "MSNBC"
Once moved to a nearby nature preserve, the male specimen -- the largest whale ever recorded in Taiwan -- drew the attention of locals because of its large penis, measured at some five feet, the Taipei Times reported.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "jmordetsky"*chuckles with mirthful glee*

Even odder then the thing exploding...

Quote from: "MSNBC"
Once moved to a nearby nature preserve, the male specimen -- the largest whale ever recorded in Taiwan -- drew the attention of locals because of its large penis, measured at some five feet, the Taipei Times reported.

omg! lolollolool
Mobys Dick!!!11%6//slashslash

Ick.

Quote from: "Lazloth"Because it isn't enough of a hassle as is?  No thanks.

Weee! Ain't it a BITCH as it is chasing a damned auto-flee creature on foot! I'm with Laz.

I mean, in rll, let's say you slaughter a cow, gee we got one steak to share amongst the family. Hell no, you have meat for a very long time(if you can store it). Let me reiterate some ideas about how skinning could be improved.

1. Make it take longer. 1 minute MIN, 3 minutes AVE.  So along with finding the critter, and killing it you have to skin it. Would make mass slaughter hunts less viable. Based on size of critter. Sort of like a crafting thing where you can be interupted etc if you try and do something else.

2. Make it give a lot more meat. Even for not so great skinners at LEAST one piece and usually a lot more. Leave the horns, chitin, hide the same chance as now. One Duskhorn should practically make someone encumbered by the meat alone and a Carru..sheesh. Why? Well then they will have to return to town sooner because they have too much meat weight.  If they leave the meat then they are being  unrealistic in a survivalist world in most cases. Sick the tribal elves of that area onto them for killing needlessly. Perhaps some concern about selling too much meat in the shops. Possibly. But one or two beasts get skinned that market wil dry up soon. Hunter could live on the meat alone from its kills? Dunno about that, possibly reduce the price the shops buy at.

3. Have different stages for especially large animals perhaps. Possibly already imped. Each stage with at least 1 minute time.

I think these ideas might help folks NOT to hunt too much or HAVE to in the first place. Might not want to stop every 3 rooms to hunt game when you are supposed to be making a trip to do something else, etc.

No..
dropped everything and held my breath. This could not be happening. This was not my life. I began panting, all alone in a locked cubicle in a half-decent restaurant in France with a dead tapeworm hanging out my ass.

To the scripts, I say no. I'm with Laz, it's hard enough as is.

To the change in skinning I'd agree, I always find it hard to rp
when I manage to ruin all the meat on an animal. I mean, I
might suck at skinning, but there's no way I shouldn't get at
least one piece of meat.

Perhaps split skinning into two skills? Butchering for the meat
and skinning for everything else. After butchering you'd end
up with a butchered carcass and could still skin it. Or after
skinning have a skinned carcass and can still butcher it.
B

Quote from: "Dead Newbie"Make it take longer. 1 minute MIN, 3 minutes AVE.  So along with finding the critter, and killing it you have to skin it. Would make mass slaughter hunts less viable. Based on size of critter. Sort of like a crafting thing where you can be interupted etc if you try and do something else.

Perhaps lower the time just a -tad- for the time it takes to skin. Other than that, I agree with dEd nEwb 100%.

How can skinning be dangerous?
IRL when your skinning something, it takes a long time and that is almost mostly what you think about, right?
So, Let me say this. Who's to say something couldn't easily sneak up on you when your not paying attention like you should?
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I say add in the scripts and give Dead Newbie's ideas their due. I like it. Yeah, it would become harder to catch certian animals. So the fuck what? You wouldn't have to hunt for a week!

This would make hunting more rewarding, and less prone to twinkish levels, while still providing the food needed. A carru should give out a good ten steaks, not to mention the antlers, hides, and a few bones as well. Make each script something with a weakness, or predictability, for those who studied the animal. Make sneaking work for those who knew how to sneak outdoors, and play into factor storms, wind direction, and probably sweat on your clothes, simulating the animal smelling you.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Skinning is dangerous depending on what's around you. You are kneeling on the ground by a corpse up to your arms in dead critter with your weapons not in easy reach. It's dangerous because you are not well defended.

As far as meat from animals...
Remember when you killed a bear in Oregon Trail back on your old AppleIIe? You'd kill a bear, a couple of deer, and a rabbit, just for shits and giggles:

You have killed 823 pounds of meat, but can only carry 100 back to the wagon.

Then later:
Little Dolly starves to death.

That's why you hunted less at a time but more frequently in Oregon trail...still, however, one steak ain't no 100 pounds of meat.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Dead Newbie"2. Make it give a lot more meat. Even for not so great skinners at LEAST one piece and usually a lot more. Leave the horns, chitin, hide the same chance as now. One Duskhorn should practically make someone encumbered by the meat alone and a Carru..sheesh.
If you have more realistic meat quantity, you get to a stage where everyone has too much food. Hunters don't have to only hunt once every few days. Doesn't sound too harsh to me. Sounds damn cushy to me (once you can kill the animal). If you make more meat possible when you skin, you then need to make people eat more. I can survive 1 entire day on 1 travel cake. 2 at the most. 1 piece of meat would definitely do me all day.

So then people need to eat three times as much as before, in order to make it so the amount of time 1 dead carru can feed you isn't too ridiculous.

So I see that 1 slab of meat being 5 slabs of meat and feeding me all day. For playability reasons, I only eat it once.

Quote from: "John"So then people need to eat three times as much as before, in order to make it so the amount of time 1 dead carru can feed you isn't too ridiculous.
Let's put this into perspective. IRL, now, go kill a deer. It is legal, in season. Then eat only that deer (and of course, a few greens - lets say tubers in game terms - and some water) and see how long that deer's meat feeds you. Remember, a deer is not quite as large as a carru - likely 1/2 the size.

But you'll be suprised at just how long that deer's meat lasts.

Dude, isn't a carru like a bazillion times larger than a deer?

Maybe Zalanthan appetites are in proportion?  The carru steak is really a bazillion times larger than your porterhouse in Boston.

Realism vs playability.  If you start to throw in more food into the world, give it an expiry and have it rot away rather than filling kitchen shelves indefinitely.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Lazloth"If you start to throw in more food into the world, give it an expiry and have it rot away rather than filling kitchen shelves indefinitely.
Agreed, fully. A timer of one IC week is nice for raw meats, two weeks for tubers and roots and fruits, and one month for dried meats, while 1 week for stewish products seems about right. These may seem rather long, but in reality, in a dry, non polluted climate, food lasts longer without spoiling, as long as it is natural food like meat and roots.

Maybe add signs left of gutting an animal...like blood and remains of some animal are here. Perhaps those with tracking would be able to discern what sort of animal the sign came from.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I'm pretty sure we don't have wild dear in Australia ;) I just couldn't see a dear feeding me 3 meals a day with having deer for inbetween snacks lasting for very long. But if you say it does then I'll take your word on it ;)

But if the amount of meat/carru was increased to realistic proportions (with 1 slab equalling a whole day's worth of food) what happens when I only log in for 1 IC day each OOC day? We have the situation where 1 carru can last for quite a while in OOC time. Is that a good thing? (I can see positives and negatives to it, so I'm really asking here ;)).

Also, with spoiled food. Would that only be for food that is in game? What happens when I hold food on me and I log out? Would that create a disadvantage for people who have places to store food other then their bodies when they log out? Should that be addressed?

I was going to suggest food getting spoiled, but couldn't answer those questions ;)

Two things...

First, I am so with Lazloth on the rotting food.  That would be ideal.

Second, a carru (from what I understand) is supposed to be approximate to a moose, for size, making them about 1.25 times the height/length...or about twice the size (mass/volume) of a deer.

Quote from: "John"Also, with spoiled food. Would that only be for food that is in game?
No. The timer would run continually, and if more than ### 'ticks' (A MUD turn representing code checks and other in code time checks) had passed when you logged back into the game, then the food would be gone from your inventory.

Quote from: "John"What happens when I hold food on me and I log out?
Depends on how long the timer is good for.

Quote from: "John"Would that create a disadvantage for people who have places to store food other then their bodies when they log out?
Nopers.

Quote from: "John"Should that be addressed?
Nopers. Just a new expiration code needs to be written, and I've the feeling that it may already exist...

I can't believe someone actually read my posts for once.

So I am sitting there skinning some beast for three minutes of delay, when some massive beast sneaks up on me.  Then, the beast begins to maul me, but I just can't run because i am still carving up this dead thing.  Rethink this.

If we're going to have meats decay after a day, then there damn better be a crafting recipe to smoke them and have them last longer.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "Carnage"If we're going to have meats decay after a day, then there damn better be a crafting recipe to smoke them and have them last longer.

http://www.armageddon.org/community/format.html

Quote from: "fnordcircle"
Quote from: "Carnage"If we're going to have meats decay after a day, then there damn better be a crafting recipe to smoke them and have them last longer.

http://www.armageddon.org/community/format.html

There's already items that can be cooked to be preserved in game. The point is that they should last longer than normal meats since they're -meant- to be preserved, not that they don't exist.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!