injuries or maybe sparring

Started by Anonymous, January 30, 2004, 06:37:38 AM

hi

after seeing someone getting beat to 'poor' health again in sparring the following came to my mind:

how about adding a small percentage chance that something 'bad' happens to your char, if you fall below a certain amount of HP (<50%, <33%, <10%)

like a little permanent HP removal for ya beeing crippled slightly,
or, if you're near death, percentage chance that you loose ability to speak (lower language skill) or some other possilbe things

---theebie---

No.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

I personally like leaving stuff like that to the players to roleplay.  I see damage a bit different when sparring with sparring weapons then real weapons.

In a sparring match, if i'm fully armored and get hit down to say Does not look good health, with just a bunch of nicks or light hits with sparring weapons that don't bloody my armor I assume i'm perfectly fine just pretty winded and might have a few welts.

If those hits were from real weapons, I'd assume I was rather hurt with lots of small cuts.

To have code tell me how bad I'm hurt, doesn't really mix well with me, because it doesn't take into account the situation.

sparring here sparring there.

if you get hit to "poor" health or below, you -are- seriously wounded in my opinion. and if i hit you on your head, wounding you, the same applies.

if you get nicked here and there all the time, fine, then just quit when you're about 2/3 health, as you're supposed to.

additionally i would think that mechanism not only for sparring but for real fights, too.

---theebie---

Quote from: "theebie"
if you get hit to "poor" health or below, you -are- seriously wounded in my opinion. and if i hit you on your head, wounding you, the same applies.
---theebie---

There's a huge difference between getting hit solidly with a blunted training weapon, then getting hit solidly with a razor sharp saber.

One is going to leave a bruise or welt, perhaps break the skin and cause light bleeding.  The other could easily cut someone down to the bone, sever nerve endings or remove a couple fingers, an eye, ear etc.  An extremely hard hit with a training weapon might break a bone, knock you unconscious with a concussion, or other assorted injuries.  An extremely hard hit with a razor sharp saber, would likely remove a limb, cause a profusely bleeding wound, or out right kill you.

There is a massive difference.  Accidents can, and should happen in training with sparring weapons, but i'd leave that to roleplaying.  As for real weapons causing permanent damage, i'm all for it.  If your brought to near death from real weapons, i'd say you should have a serious injury to show for it unless you get magick healing.

When I played in Kurac, one of the players helped me immensely with an OOC explanation (since it was my first combat-oriented character). Thanks to whoever played Maiza by the way, it was you.

In sparring, you toss out the whole "bleeding lightly" or "bleeding heavily" thing, because that's just how the code performs and is no real reflection on what sparring -would normally- be like.

When I was "bleeding lightly" it meant that I got a couple of bruises, and added stun drain might mean a bump on my helmet. If my helmet ended up bloodied, I'd RP it that the edge of the helmet banged into my forehead, causing a scratch that leaked a few drops of blood on the helmet's rim. Nothing worth mentioning, in other words.

If I was "bleeding heavily" perhaps I sprained an ankle, or twisted my wrist, or banged a rib, or caused a nasty welt to swell up on my collar bone. Something that I would certainly need to rest for, but again - nothing severe enough to scream and holler over.

If I was knocked unconscious, then..I was knocked unconscious. That happens in sparring, if someone manages a really well-aimed hit to the head. And just like in pro-wrestling or boxing, getting knocked out doesn't mean you need an ambulance. A snort of smelling salts, a few minutes to remember your own name and which fist is left or right, and you're back in the ring.

If someone got me to bleeding profusely, perhaps I broke a few ribs, or got a concussion, or the training club sprained my ankle so badly that I'd be walking with a limp for a few days. If the armor (leggings or whatever) was bloodied, I'd assume the armor pushed against my skin so harshly from the blow that the armor scraped my skin, thus causing the blood to stain the armor.

Near death - that's a different story entirely. That's when you call for the medic, and IMO, sparring should -never- result in a "near death" situation unless it's intentional.

Yup, add to that the different races too.

Not only can a dwarf or mul take more damage, they heal from it faster too, so those bruises will be gone in hours instead of days. Plus the way different races handle pain.

And it takes a lot too hurt a half-giant.

On the other side of it, you might want to take into account the race.
Specialy mul and half-giant, just considering how large and strong they are (some dwarves too) you do have to think of the blows being rather heavy, I mean, if you have a human who is sparring a half-giant, the arm holding the practice club weighs as much as you, sure, might not crush your head into a pulp, but you probly would not feel much like sparring for a day or so.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Perhaps we should change the message given from:

Bleeding lightly to slightly injured.

Bleeding heavily to injured.

Bleeding profusely to heavily injured.

Near death would remain near death.

This would be changed in the long desc, so that instead of seeing:

The grey-faced man stands here, bleeding heavily.

- you would see:

The grey-faced man stands here, injured.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Permanet damage? Jesus! I got so often under 50 % Hp that he would need a chairwheel and couldn't speak a word anymore!

The idea is not bad, but the wrong MUD. Armageddon is to harsh to play that codewise out. But a nice Rp idea.

Question: Could you "buy" scars in the game, like at the creation? Or is there a other way to get some scars?
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

I saw someone wearing a scar in an equipped slot (face) last night.

I like Venomz idea.  I never know how to react when you come across people who are 'bleeding heavily'.

Too often I've seen this exchange:

the tall, sexy nobleman says, in sirhish:
        "Goodness me, you are bleeding all over my feet."

the tall, recovering from poison man, says, in sirhish:
        "Had a case of boiling blood is all, Lord."

QuoteQuestion: Could you "buy" scars in the game, like at the creation? Or is there a other way to get some scars?

You can write the mud, asking to be updated with a few scars. When this happens, we'll put you in the queue to be updated, and in the past, characters have been transfered back to the Ancient Place of Kings, to 'buy' new scars.
Tlaloc
Legend

I don't like the idea of permanent damage, unlike some games characters in Armageddon don't continue to accrue god-like hit points as they rise through the levels, and most of the time the hit point levels seem quite modest.  I fondly remember the first time I got a character with over 100 hit points, not that she lived any longer than the rest.  

However, semi-permanent damage appeals to me.  Have you ever been dehydrated in-game?  If not, move on to the next post now, or run your character out to the salt flats for the next few hours until it becomes dehydrated, and then come back.  Ok?  Good.  If you get dehydrated enough you suffer a loss of maximum stamina, and some other stuff.  When you finally notice that you are drying up like an old prune and drink yourself silly, your maximum stamina does not immediately return to it's normal level.  A long, long time later your maximum stamina will creep back up, I assume there is some sort of timer involved.

I similar thing could work with health.  If you suffer a single catastrophic injury or a bunch of small injuries that leave you down to <40% of normal, then you lose 5 health off the top of your maximum.  Note: this is not "extra" damage, it is a temporary loss of potential.  If you would have had 10 hp left you will still have 10 hp left, but it will be 10/85 instead of 10/90, and you will appear fully healed when you reach 85/85.  When your injury timer runs out your 5 points are restored.  The timer would likely be set to something fairly moderate like 3-10 logged-in hours.  

This is a very mild consequence to recieving what should be a delibitating injury, but roleplaying being an invalid for weeks and weeks is not something most people would enjoy.  Well, it is a mild consequence if it happens once.  If you go "sleep it off" for a few minutes and come back for another beating, you may very well suffer another catastrophic injury and therefore lose another 5 maximum hp.  If you continue to ignore your semi-permanent injuries and engage in dangerous activites, or do foolish things like log in to spar then log off until it is time to spar again so that you spend nearly 100% of your logged in time sparring, then you might soon find your maximum hp has dropped to 40/40, 5 at a time.  If you keep at it eventually a single hit from a kank fly will be enough to kill you.  :P  However, a few days of "taking it easy" will allow the injury timers to expire, restoring you to your glorious 90/90 peak.

That way PCs aren't burdened with permanent, life-changing injuries because of a single mistake, or even a series of mistakes.  But at the same time there is some coded consequence for catastrophic injuries, to discourage players from just shrugging it off.  You still have the choice to roleplay it however you want.  It's just a 5 point drop, you could completely ignore it if you really want to and your manly man character would never admit to an injury that isn't spuring blood.  Or you could rp that you strained a muscle or had to get stitched up by the medic, and so you have to be careful for a while.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I like Venomz's idea.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

In regards to poison, or other non-combative reasons for losing hp, the message should be: looking ill.

The grey-faced man stands here, looking ill.

There should be no bleeding or injured or anything else. The three things are completely different in how they manifest themselves, and so should have different messages.

[EDIT] I also fully endorse AC's idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I agree with venom.  After a sparring match you would not be bleeding at all in my opinion.  You may have some massive welts or broken bones but not a laceration in your neck.  If the code was changed it would make RP in sparring more complex.  If you get wacked in sparring it is more realistic to RP a welt, broken bone, or concussion.

-Wardor
ou attempt to walk, but trip and fall on your face.

the long-haired grey-green eyed half-elven woman stands here, bleeding heavily, looking ill, injured slightly.

:)

I don't like this idea.
Just change ldesc.. (I think that is the command)
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

I think you guys were a little harsh on this guest poster.

The thing is YOU SHOULD NOT BE SPARING TO THE POINT OF POOR CONDITION.  Why?  It's not like sparring has it's own special set of hp, if you get beatned down to a pulp while sparing, you're just as beaten down to a pulp than if you weren't sparing and instead being attacked by a F#@$#@ silt horror.  

This idea has some merit in that it would be nice if people would realize that their char has physical limits and it's not just numbers.

I'm all in favor of a more interesting armageddon wound system, but even on games where I've seen such a thing in place, it doesn't really stop people from sparing to unrealistic states of beating.  

A nice attempt, though in the end I don't think the idea would successfully serve it's purpose.

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Perhaps we should change the message given from:

Bleeding lightly to slightly injured. . . .

I agree totally.

And as for the bleeding or bruises in sparring question, it doesn't matter, no one cares which it is, just RP it out. If you want to frikken bleed, BLEED for cryin' out loud. Maybe you're a hemophiliac or something.

As for the semi-perma damage, I don't care. The more you add, the more is forced on the char, and the less RP there is. As for Perma damage? Hell no.

Sometimes getting down to poor health is just a slip up. Facing someone better at combat than you and getting slaughtered before the movement delay wears off, or failing four or five flees in a row (which has happened to me before).
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I play at time of day when most of the other PC's who I interact with are Much more skilled and powerful than my PC.  Add this to the fact that my PC is diminutive in size, it ain't pretty.  In affect, she gets her ass kicked on a pretty regular basis.  Sometimes in a hurry, and I although I "flee" at 2/3 health, things like lag, the opponents dolling out heavy damage quickly, my character's lack of armor (and 'sid for armor), and getting repeated "PANIC" responses from the game have all caused me to receive BRUTAL beatings at one point or another.  It can be frustrating.  Some of the PC's that I play with will sheath one of their weapons when sparring with her; this has helped A Lot.  But for many, that wouldn't be something their "mean-natured" character might do.  Being in the guild I'm in, I can't skip my spars, and besides that, if I don't get practice for my pc, she'll never get out of the fix.  It wouldn't be like her to dodge a spar either.  She is ambitious and impatient, so she wouldn't want to pass up an opportunity to learn from someone else.  
I had to incorporate it into my character's personality that she just doesn't know when to quit and that she is resolved to learn her skills regardless of the physical cost.  Thankfully, it fits her impetuous and ambitious nature very well.  
My player would be a vegetable by now if she had to be permanently affected by these spars.  

Venomz ideas for code change Rock.