Fight !

Started by theebie, January 22, 2004, 07:05:02 AM

How about an additional thing to toggle:

autodraw [on/off]

If autodraw is on, and you get attacked by someone/something, you automatically execute the "draw" command, trying to grab for your weapon.

That would save you in situations we all know, for example:
An angry carru has arrived from the west.
> draw sword
[lag]
An angry carru bites your leg, wounding you.
[lag]
An angry carru hits your torso, doing significant damage.
[some more lag]
You draw your bastard sword of evil.

---theebie---

Sometimes you get surprised and having the code do anything automatically for you other than the subconscious act of raising your hands to defends yourself would detract from that.

Maybe only have link-dead people do it.  But not the rest of us.

I like to play out in my head that maybe that carru is bucking its horns into you and you can't even reach your weapon.  Then again, I'm never out where there are carru without a weapon drawn.

This would take away the element of surprise completely in pvp combat.  I would not want to see this idea implemented.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Quote from: "CRW"Sometimes you get surprised and having the code do anything automatically for you other than the subconscious act of raising your hands to defends yourself would detract from that.

Maybe only have link-dead people do it.  But not the rest of us.

I like to play out in my head that maybe that carru is bucking its horns into you and you can't even reach your weapon.  Then again, I'm never out where there are carru without a weapon drawn.

If you want to play out beeing caught by the horns of that carru, do it,
but what you say is that you want to invent something for lag.
which some people might want, others not.

Quote from: "theebie"If you want to play out beeing caught by the horns of that carru, do it,
but what you say is that you want to invent something for lag.
which some people might want, others not.

Should we have the game automatically have you scan when you enter a room, automatically open and close your pack when you want an item, automatically have you sit and regen stamina, automatically have you light a torch when you step into the dark....

I'm only being halfway sarcastic here.

My point is that there's a point where you have to draw a line or the game stops being interactive.  Automatically responding to an attack removes the need to react on the defender's part.  It's a key element of combat in the game, specificially surprise combat.

Struggling to get a weapon drawn in a hurry is represented pretty elegantly in trying to quickly type out the draw <item> command IMHO.

The idea of my 'autodraw' was basically thought for situations where you either have lag (and cant react) or are gone/afk (and cant react).

i always hate it, when something storms the room with you on your kank still, and then you lag out.

Why don't we have the weapons auto sheathe when the fight is over?  Or automatically eat when hungry, or drink when thirsty.  I've already fought people who auto draw when disarmed (or they are very fast typers!) and auto stand when knocked down.   They piss me off, but that doesn't mean you can't set your mud client to do all those things for you.   So if it's that important to you, get a client that would let you do it, but don't turn my character into an bundle of automatic reactions.

Having got that all out of way, I wouldn't see it as too bad if it was made a high branching warrior 'skill'.

This isn't a hack and slash game designed for utter fairness.  Auto draw is frankly an awful idea.  The lag is there for a reason, sometimes it's just net lag, but yes there is actual implemented lag for actions as well.  It's like this, if your char is supposed to be ready for attack then they should have their weapons drawn.  Period.  If a carru charges them, it's really pretty realistic that the Carru will get to nail them before they can get their weapons out.  

I can't express how much I find this a disagreeable suggestion.

For link dead people.. That's a bit grey imo.  Would it really make a difference?  No.  For one if you are attacking a link dead pc knowingly then you're a bitch and you deserve to get nailed for it.  And them having their weapons out automatically won't really do a lot to save them considering all the ways you could abuse the code in addition to attacking a link dead person at that point.  If you are attacking one UNknowingly, them drawing their weapons is at most going to make it harder for you to tell the difference.

Not really a fan of triggered insta-actions like this or the threaten idea.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Playing another MUD at the same time I play here... How? With some AI I programmed a month ago.. Entertaining? Not.. Just a few friends playing that MUD told me that I can't play that powerplay MUD as a professional, so I'm showing them that even my script can play better than they do..
How many triggers do I have here in ARM? 0 (zero)... why? I like to play the game. Would I be pleased if someone programmed the oto-draw? NO!!! Even going nearby scrabs whom I can kill easily with bare hands, my character never forgets to draw a weapon. Please DON'T add such a script into the game.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I agree, triggers are definatly not something you should do on rp games becaues the point is't maxing.  The point of a game like arm isn't surviving that carru attack as much as being able to react to it rp wise.  It's for fun, not for numbers.  So really a command like this detracts from the very point of this game.

On the note of triggers I use an auto save trigger.  If this is something the imms would especially disaprove of I'd be more than happy to remove it.

Autosave? Hmmm... I think I need one too, saving every 5 mins or such...
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Yeah, that's how mine works.  Though I don't do it for the reason you'd think.  Something is bugged about my connection where if I stay idle for a certain amount of time my connection gets dropped but it doesn't tell me.  So like lets say I am on the phone for 10 mins watching my arm screen..
It woud LOOK like nothing happened, where in truth I could of been attacked by a hoarde of gith and not even know it.  Anyway, that trigger seems to solve that problem