Death and dieing

Started by jmordetsky, January 16, 2004, 05:24:20 PM

I was thinking today about what my character's death would be like....and that got me thinking about death on armageddon in general.

On Arm from a code (not RP) point of view, you're either:

Alive (awake)
Mortally wounded  (sleeping)
Dead (Mantis head)

There is no 'dieing' concious state...when mortally wounded you'll will eventually come to I think.

It would be cool, if after a certain amount of time in a wounded state you were dieing...which could be a lot like the current poison code.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

A masochist...

:wink:

Just kidding
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

Quote from: "jmordetsky"I was thinking today about what my character's death would be like....and that got me thinking about death on armageddon in general.

On Arm from a code (not RP) point of view, you're either:

Alive (awake)
Mortally wounded  (sleeping)
Dead (Mantis head)

There is no 'dieing' concious state...when mortally wounded you'll will eventually come to I think.

It would be cool, if after a certain amount of time in a wounded state you were dieing...which could be a lot like the current poison code.

Are you high?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "Carnage"Are you high?

"The glassy-eyed male is dying here with a big smile on his face."

Hmm.. Being asleep for the mortally wounded doesn't really mean that your are sleeping, just that you have no idea in hell what is going on about you, past a few random details.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I totally agree, it would be great to have an occasional 'death' be a punctured artery or something that will cause you to bleed to death in a minute or two (RL) while still having your character remain conscious and active.  Perhaps even an extremely skilled medic could save these people.

Whether this is worth coding over other things, I don't know.  But, it would be cool.

Personally I would like you guys to take someone dump there body far out in the desert to what you think there Char' would be the unknown, strip them of EVERYTHING and leave them for dead, if they ever make it back, your in luck, there will obviously be some good RP following..... :)
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

You know what I would like?

If you could float in the room as a soul for a minute or so after you died... no ability to do anything or move, just look down at your body and watch your friends cry over you, and maybe avenge you. It would add a little grain of salt to death.

This is a bad idea.  For one it has no ic basis, for two, it would allow you to get a whole host of ic info that shouldn't nessicarily be found out.  Lastly it's a step backward for this mud to be taking.  

Try to picture this from the shoes of an assasin. I know the arguement is you wouldn't use the info, but even if you are a great rper who doesn't twink, it can be awfully hard knowing something oocly and it not affecting you icly in some way.  So lets say the assasin has it all worked out, he waits for the right moment to strike wehre you really won't see what hit you.  Then you're a soul.. . Great, so much for anoniminty.  I think if you were in that position where you were the bad ass assasin you'd see pretty quickly why this would do more harm than good.

So then you see a cloaked person bending over you and taking your stuff, or not, or dragging your body out of the room - and then there's nothing else to see because your body was dragged away and the person left. This doesnt really spoil anything. It might just add some final RP for those who were killed without any emotes or says whatsoever.

It can spoil things, there are instances where it could and frankly any ONE instance is enough to not make this exist at all.

I might also add there is absolutely no reason or basis for having such a thing in game.  It hold no ic reasoning, it would be a purely ooc thing to implement and for the sheer sake of seeing things that are also ooc.  Once your char dies, they cease to be your char, plain and simple.  Anything that happens to them after that point isn't your concern.  Seeing such things would thusly go into the catigory boldly marked OOC info.  

We shouldn't willing go there for any reason.

Like I said, I think it would add a grain of salt and in some cases help people be more satisfied with their death, especially if there was absolutely no roleplay related to it. The chance of learning something useful in this way is very small.

As for OOC spoilers... you could release your soul immediately if you wanted to. Besides, knowing others who play is an OOC risk, the existance of OOC communication ways is a risk, and the fact that you can make a new character after your old one is a risk. You MIGHT run into spoiler information with your new char without intending to. Helping out a newbie is a risk as well, he might spoil IC information to you before you get a chance to make him realize he isnt supposed to. Does this mean we shouldnt help newbies anymore?

It comes down to one thing... you just have to trust the players, and your own RP skills.

It sounds hack slash to me.  And I personally hate it, but in attempts at a productive arguement, here goes.

First of all, I don't think it would help anyone with coping with a char death, my experience is the longer you hold onto those feelings, the more it bothers you.  Anyway, deaths happen, pretty much thats the way the game is, it's something we as players have to live with or not play.

The chance of ic info is actually much higher than you think.  How do you icly explain for instance, oh we just killed this guy, but you can't talk over their body without leaving the room cause their soul might hear you.  OR how about oh, I just killed this guy with my buddy, but I can't loot him next or his soul might see which one of us took his l00t knife.  The list goes on and on, I mean thats just to name a few, I could do this all day.

We try to avoid ooc spreading of info. PERIOD.  Having a feature like this would do the dead opposite.  It would spread info, yes we have to trust players a lot already.  How? Well there is ICQ/AIM/MSN/Yahoo, there is email, PM's on this very board, the chat room.  Lots of mediums that people could spread ic info oocly, but the LAST thing we should do is make it even easier for people by implementing a way to do it in game.  The fact is, it would make no ic sense for people to have to watch themselves over a kill because the 'soul is still lingering.'  It would make no ic sense for the soul to still be lingering in the first place.  Infact, ARM HASN"T EVEN ESTABLISHED THAT SOULS EXIST.  Such a concept isn't nesscarily one that is viewed as the way things are on armageddon, we really have no right to impose such an idea into the game for our mere jollies.  That's really all this feature would come down to.

I agree with UnderSeven. I think this idea came up a few days ago, and someone posted something along these lines....

Say, the assassin kills you, then after you died, he says "A gift from lord Fancypants!" when Fancypants was a friend of your character.

Quote from: "Akaramu"You know what I would like?

If you could float in the room as a soul for a minute or so after you died... no ability to do anything or move, just look down at your body and watch your friends cry over you, and maybe avenge you. It would add a little grain of salt to death.

Akaramu, I'm not so positive that's what will happen when I die, but how about you die and find out. Come back to us and if that's in fact what happens IRL (or in dead life) then maybe it would be worth putting into arm.  :wink:  8)  :lol:
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Quote from: "Akaramu"You know what I would like?

No good idea in my opinion! What next? If we have thes souls some players will begin to whine "Why not a spell which could bring back my soul into the land of the living?"

Definitely no!

Think about the RP opportunities that would come of mortal wounds....so like lets say I'm fighting a gith and slay him but not before he renders my hand at the wrist.

So now, I'm in the desert with one of my homies and I'm slowly bleeding to death...maybe by highsun I'll be dead.

Amazing scenes...

Stunning, things could be done.

Though I imagine if you know you were dieing you might just hop on your kank and find a physician...

Masocistic tendencies perhaps...but I would like to RP my final breaths...
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

There's good to be said of the idea and bad as well. In the end, it is relatively unimportant. If they implement it, then kudos, and if they don't, then they don't. I like the idea of being able to actually die slowly, but I hate the idea of a ghost.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Doubt it would be implemented, it was just a very random thought I had.

And you shouldn't feel bad for bringing up your ideas here.  Considering the 'subtle' flaming that goes on, it can take a great deal of courage (or simply not knowing any better) to post a new idea at all.

While I maybe completely against the soul idea, I think the mortal wound conscious idea isn't awful.

The way I would see it implemented would be this:

If you ran out of stun and that's how you got on your back on the ground, there is no wakey wakey, you're out cold untill either a miracle saves you or you die.

If you didn't run out of stun, running out of hp would cost a great deal of stun.  If by some miracle you still had stun points, you might be conscious.
This state you would be FORCED to remain resting and would only have emote and say avalible.  No psi, no riding for help, not even shouting.

More or less death would be much the same, only this way pcs would get chances for last words or sort of just laying there, staring at the sky.