Apostrophed names

Started by Tamarin, January 12, 2004, 07:09:57 PM

Any way the code can be changed to support names with apostrophes?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

That's a cool idea and I don't see any drawbacks with it. I'll enter it in the ideas database.

Sweeet..don't forget Hyphens! :D
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I don't object to this, but why would somebody need an apostrophed name? Can't you spell it out completely?
I've been away from Zalanthas for some time, but I still think you all are kank shit. Don't worry, I'll come back and fix it up. By the way, has anyone found, like, water? This desert is getting old.

Yeah. I always wanted a character with an odder name.

Like apostrophes.

But didn't want it just RPd.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "lukie"I don't object to this, but why would somebody need an apostrophed name? Can't you spell it out completely?
Many names not native to the western world are contructed such, with hyphens and apostrophies. Tribal names, and Arabian names are two styles that come to mind off-hand.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I actually played with someone that used a ' in their name. Atleast the name they gave and I have done the same when playing an insane character that switched personalities at times. When both were in control they introduced themselves as both names but with a ' between them.  :)

It will be cool to actually have it in there as part of the keywords.
 staff member sends:
    "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"

Fortunately, you can have this presently. In such a way - When selecting your name, write it out completely and with now spaces or apostrophes. Then, once you get a choice to select keywords, write out your name with an apostrophe, that way it records it as such. There is another way, but it involves finding the cure for cancer and running naked through the streets of Beijing with honey painted all over your body.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Uh, I'm pretty positive the current code doesn't allow for apostrophes. In names OR in keywords. As I've tried it before.

Acctually one of my characters acctually had a name with an apostrophe. It had not fully spelled out form. Although I MIGHT have gotten rid of it when I couldn't put it into keywords or anything... But I think I might have had it in my background and some times introduced myself by the full name.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Not true, unless my application was tweaked. A d-elf char of mine had an apostrophed name that did indeed have an apostrophe in the Keywords. I have to agree with myself, that I am, in fact, correct.

Okay, so my older sister has been pumping me full of her linguistics lately, and that apostrophe in a name is a "glottal stop" or something similar. Erm, to give an example, think about a super cockneyed accented person saying "bottle", where the tt is replaced rather by an absence of sound, but not a word break. Get it kinda? The example from her textbook was "Batman", since apparently we Americans don't say that t, but use the glottal stop instead. I tried it, I really don't pronounce that t.

...And it's called the glottal stop because you're closing the glottis when you pronounce words in that manner. The glottis is the vocal fold at the top end of your trachea. When you pronounce "Batman" you're "stopping the glottis," thus speaking with a glottal stop.

From your friendly neighborhood google fan

In my example it was a tribal thing. Kind of a badge of rank, but still his name.

Oh well. I think that's a nifty thing. If you force the 't' on batman it does sound funny.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Fraick al'Than

Crûmsh

Kinda nice

Fun is what we are here for..

Most of the Mantis names should be apostrophed. Another question: Is there any site about typical names for the races, clans or guilds in Armageddon?
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

Quote from: "Lasakar"Most of the Mantis names should be apostrophed. Another question: Is there any site about typical names for the races, clans or guilds in Armageddon?
This has come up before...and from what I recall the last time it was, the answer was, "No."
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yes! That means I can finally make my ultimate character of all time....

Paul Usul Muad'Dib Atreides

:D
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

And then I will kill. In fact you should get a beating for even joking about it. Stupid sun, everyone knows night rocks. Go back to sleep.

I say the 't' in Batman. Perhaps it is my Texas twang that lets me pronounce every letter like its supposed to be.

Ba'man? I don't think so.

I am doing a cockney accent for a play, and glottal stops rule.

Imagine the name  Rua'sha'la'bin Delan'ni'tharlas

Feel those glottises move! And one, and two, and three, and work it!
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I'm sorry to dig this out of its grave, but has this been changed? Is it now possible to create a character with an apostrophe in their name?

ie. O'Crazy, D'Souza, Gud'Tequila

Quote from: Ammut on June 06, 2008, 10:02:16 PM
Gud'Tequila
We all know what you've been doing in the last few hours.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I seriously have the best idea for a name, and this just reminded me of it.

And it totally fits the atmosphere.