New ranger ability.

Started by COGATO, January 11, 2004, 06:28:49 PM

The listen skill is a fairly useful skill if you are in the appropriate situation. And I was sitting around thinking of different ways it could be utilized when it dawned on me that it could be used to alert sleeping rangers to the presence of someone else in the same room. What if a ranger with a high listen skill had the ability to be alerted when someone is approaching him in the same room. Now this would have to be rolled against factors like, Is the person in question sneeking, and of course the rangers proficiency with the listen skill, and if he is just  sleeping or if he was knocked unconciouss.

Nothing really detailed just something to the affect of....."You hear footsteps approach"....or "A sound disturbes your slumber"...something like that.....just a thought, give me some feedback.
ou can not trust anything that bleeds for five days and dose not die.

yeah.. since I am an asshole.. I am going to say this:
No. Or atleast not just for rangers.. but maybe for house servants and assasins also :) err.. :I
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I'd say ... Eh. Listen would be something you'd be doing actively, mostly consciously as well. I don't see how it would help you any while sleeping. Thats even if the listen skill itself even stays on while sleeping.

I honestly see no reason why this would be related to the listen skill over all.

But just because I in no way want to agree with Sacac, I'm for the idea.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Usually people emote when they walk into the same room you sleep in, so if your character is -that- sensitive in his/her sleep, you can always wake up when someone emotes enough sound for it.

Rangers need more special abilities?
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Sleep is often taken virtually most the time anyway, you logoff because you're 'resting'.  Because of this, I feel the times that you actually sleep because you typed sleep in game are for extreme circumstances, getting back hp or st.  In these cases I think it's far to say your char is able to fall asleep because they're either wounded, lost a lot of blood and there fore pass out, or they've tired themselves to exaughstion and bam.  Therefore I don't think even a light sleeper would just wake right up again.

Yes Underseven I can see where your argument would hold true for alot of the player base, but what about those of use that play for 14 and 15 hours a day? Its not like we just stay in game for days and days at a time without some coded sleep for rp purposes.

Then I offer you this arguement.  Even for people like me who don't play constantly, my char often spends 5 days straight awake.  We can justify this one of two ways.

1) claim I slept in there somewhere and not bother with pointing where..

-OR-

2) Say that on zalanthas, all races have adapted to sleep differently than they do on earth. I frankly like this one more, there are some species of animals that get their sleep differently, lets say every so many days instead of once a day they get some sleep and that's that.  Now then, would that that were the case, we can once again assume we're very heavy sleepers since we would be getting several days worth of sleep in one night.  I also might add for those rp buffs, I doubt you're sleeping every arm day.

If I want to sleep "lightly" because I want my character to be sleeping (probably so I can make a sandwhich) not because they need to sleep to prevent death, then I just use rest instead.  Change ldesc to something like "is curled up under a blanket in the corner," "appears to be napping on a bunk," "is lying on a pallet here," etc., and you can be a light sleeper.  That way you don't get punished by having your pants stollen simply because you were foolish enough to "sleep" in a room where hundreds of other people sleep every day.  :)  You are alert enough that if someone starts undressing you then you will probably "wake up", but you might not wake up for someone creeping towards you with their dagger raised.  

I'm not opposed to being able to automatically wake up from coded if you are not exhausted, stunned, drunk or critically injured, but I don't know that rangers would be better at it than others.  Do you really think those dirty 'rinther pickpockets sleep soundly?  I think there should be a chance that anyone would wake up given the right stimulous.

Someone tries to "wake" you 100%
Someone sneaks (successfully) into the room 0%
Someone walks into the room 5%
Someone runs into the room 10%
Someone enters the room, dragging something behind them 15%
Someone talks or says 5%
Someone whispers 1%
Someone shouts  60%
Someone trys to steal something from your inventory 5%
Someone trys to steal something you are wearing 20%
Someone trys to steal your pants 80%
Someone eats 2%
Someone drops something 1%
Someone crafts 10%
Combat breaks out between other people 80%
Someone dies 50%

This would only apply to things going on in the same room as you.  These percentages would be per occurance, so while one person walking into a room probably wouldn't wake you, 8 people walking into the room probably would.  People having a conversation may not wake you right away, but if they keep it up long enough they probably will disturb you.  The numbers are crude approximations, someone chopping a log into planks should probably have a much better chance of waking you than someone bending a feather into a feather earring, but nobody would want to go though every possible crafted item and figure out what it's chance of disturbing a sleeper would be.  Likewise, dropping a wooden chest full of rocks would be more likely to wake someone than dropping a half-eaten sweet roll would, but what can you do?  

In the meantime, I just RP sleep while using the rest command, resting is vague enough to cover a variety of things.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Thats a much better look at the skill. I just used rangers because they are the main class renouned for thier perception skills. But having it be a chance for everyone is just as well, but I still think the listen skill should have some affect on the percentages.

I like AC's idea.  To show how much I do, I thought of a crappy drop fix, for the problem mentioned.

Someone drops something: 1% x item weight

It wouldn't work so swell if someone's setting a large item down softly, but what can you do?