Sure why not.
12 (35.3%)
No way, I like it the way it is.
14 (41.2%)
Cheerios, the fruit of the gods.
8 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: January 11, 2004, 01:34:47 AM

I was just sitting around thinking inbetween characters at a very late hour with a very bored mind. It says in the docs that backstab isnt someone literally trying to stab you in the back all of the time, so why are we forced to live with the echos that the code produces for backstab?

What I propose is that the echo for backstab be made more general, to allow a person to emote the situation better. I know that could be done now but it looks like this, and could be confusing if a new player witnessed the situation.

>emote leaps foward jabbing toward %hermit face with his dagger.
>backstab hermit
delay
>You slide your dagger up between a bald hermit's ribs causing him to gurgle blood.
>emote runs his dagger into %hermit ocular socket causing gore to run onto his cheek.
The room would see
The blue-eyed elf leaps foward jabbing toward a bald hermit's face with his dagger.

The blue-eyed elf slides his dagger up between a bald hermit's ribs causing him to gurgle blood.

The blue-eyed elf runs his dagger into a bald hermit's ocular socket causing gore to run onto his cheek.

Thats all fine and dandy but it just dosent fit and wouldnt make any sense to a new player. I think it would be better to just make it more general.

Something to the affect of...but not nescessarily...

>emote leaps foward jabbing toward %hermit face with his dagger.
>backstab hermit
delay
>You land a critical strike on a bald hermit.
>emote runs his dagger into %hermit ocular socket causing gore to run onto his cheek.
Now the room would see the room would see
The blue-eyed elf leaps foward jabbing toward a bald hermit's face with his dagger.

The blue-eyed elf lands a critical strike on a bald hermit.

The blue-eyed elf runs his dagger into a bald hermit's ocular socket causing gore to run onto his cheek.

I dont know how hard it would be to code, or if it is even nescessary, but I think its a small change that would make one more aspect of the game just a little better. Any input?
ou can not trust anything that bleeds for five days and dose not die.

Yes.  And the command name itself should be changed too, because it also tends to put people into a certain midset about it.
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Wives, also known as prolonged prostetutes, but who wants to be bitched at by a prostetute?

Yes. How about we just make one post. To have all echoes made so general that they don't provide any sort of information, just so are emotes fit better.

Or perhaps just remove all the echos... Or make them adaptable by the individual players so everything just fits that much better.

YAY.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Hey you know Creeper I never thought of that. You are really a genious. Come on everyone, lets hear it for Creeper.

I for one don't like this idea all that much. Unlike the kick situation where you're emoting out a different kind of attack, I don't want to see the freedom to attack wherever you like.  The point of attack has a big impact on how the situation is played out, and since backstab is a skill, you the player cannot determine how good your character is at it, and if you're able to pull off that eye gouging shot or not.

Would a greater variety of backstab echoes make the situation better? That's what I would propose. I probably only speak for myself, and definitely not on behalf of the staff as a whole.

That is a very good point really, I didnt think of that. There is definantly a large margin for abuse there. But the same could go for the kick skill in the same situation, who is to say you have the ability to land that axe kick, I assume it would be much easier to land the elbow or knee than a spin kick, or a shin sweep, I suppose the code is fine the way it is.