Half-giant
4 (4.7%)
Human
46 (54.1%)
Mul
7 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: January 03, 2004, 02:22:17 PM

Inspired by the other thread.   (I tried to make a favorite subclass poll but it told me there were too many options  :? )

What race do you enjoy playing the most (or that you're itching to play but haven't had the karma/opportunity)?
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Half-elves, definitely.

I haven't played a mul yet, though...

Oh man, this one is hard.  It's somewhere between human, desert elf or mul.  Depending on what I want.  If I want to be social for a while, human.  If I want to explore for a while, delf.  If I want be scary, mul.

Least favorite is probably dwarf.  Though, half-giants get very old very fast for me.  Not a big half-elf fan either, really.

Quote from: "Delirium"Half-elves, definitely.

Why?  I know a lot of people like them.  Maybe it's just because I like things in black and white.  How half-elves fit into society is this big grey area to me and I'll admit I'm probably overly self-conscious regarding how I play out roles.  Like with a magicker, I'm afraid of making friends with mundanes and watering down the way a magicker should be viewed.

It's ALL about the HG monkey love.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Desert Elf baby!
oy what the fonk you want? Big Worm

From the get-go, half-elves have conflict. With themselves, with others, with the way society views them. Generally speaking, they're viewed as the kankshit on the bottom of your boots, and so their lives become a constant struggle to prove themselves, whether externally or internally. Of course, half the time they're trying to prove they don't give a shit about proving themselves!

(Maybe that's why I like magickers, too, but that's a skillset, not a race.)

What can I say, I'm a masochist, I like conflict and angst.

I like half elves and humans.  Humans are good simply because you are not limited in anything you do.  I had a human who in a single life time did damn near everything at least once.  Humans just have the world open to them.  Half elves are interesting in that they have automatic conflict fill their lives.  True, they are not the race to pick if you wish to snatch at power, but they have a great internal mindset.  I like being kicked around, I like to struggle, and I like to have to claw my way to any position I get.  With humans, you simply just need to throw time at any problem and it will be solved.  With half elves, if you get anyone it is through sheer force of will.  I can count the number of rich half-elves I have met in all of my characters' lives on one hand.  That is something worth struggling with.  Armageddon is at its best when suffering through the lowest pits of despair far away from any fancy noble house, and half elves are al but forced to struggle through such roles.

Quote from: "Rindan"Armageddon is at its best when suffering through the lowest pits of despair far away from any fancy noble house, and half elves are all but forced to struggle through such roles.

That too, definitely.

Recently, I've been playing elves, both desert elves and city elves, but I still put half-elf down as my favorite race. It's close between half-elf and human, because

I really enjoy the elven mindset and all the criminal stuff, but it gets annoying when no one will even speak with you. Damn boring. I think two city elf tribes, one in each city, should be more of a priority than the desert elf tribes. That would show people just why all elves haven't been "exterminated", or even terribly oppressed. Give people something to be afraid of. You don't just screw around casually with an elven tribe. That shit gets you robbed, or killed.

Which is why I'm working on my city elf tribe...  :twisted:

Bah...I fucked up my post. Mul. They are so fun, free or slave. So much power, so many thoughts, so many feelings. Just, fun.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've only been fortunate enough to play one Mul character in the not too distant past.

The experience was.. both challenging and inspiring. I could go on for the longest time pondering his inner troubles and ripping emotions through his actions.. how he tried to use people.

Mul has to be my favorite, with human at a close tie.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Most likely humans with dwarves for a close second.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

If somebody knows the mechanics of the game but has a problem to get some contact to other players and clans, he should try a city-elf.

Was suprised how easily you got some reactions from other players. The most were bad reactions, but some were friendly too. Got my first job after 1/2 hour.
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

Avangion.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

voted dwarf, easily my fav, next is Gith, then half-giant then halfling.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I've all but only played humans but their played time combined can't reach the time I spent with my single half-elf. Great fun. Maybe mostly because I was a newbie twink at the time but also because their psyche is somewhat similar to my own demented self's.  :)

Vote half-elf! WE NEED YOU.

I chose half-elf as my sentimental favorite, although the vast majority of my characters have been human.  There's just something in the half-elven angst that appeals to me.

I really wish you guys would stop with these polls, though.  All it's doing is giving me ideas for a new character and meanwhile not playing my current character.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I chose City Elf.. why? Because my second City Elf was payed a couple large by various templars (Who are all dead, by the way) Was payed to let a noble beat the crap out of me.. (Fun as hell, You know who you are) Beating several times in the dark, in prison, by a guy with a high pitched voice.. (I miss you Utep) Survived a bunch of stuff in the desert and I talked to several aggro NPCs for several hours thinking they would respond.. and for some reason didn't attack me til I tried to leave.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

1) Desert elves easily, because of how they live. The prime example of how a life in Zalanthas is lived. In the harsh deserts.

2) Half-elves, because of the potential rp they can have. Never being fully human, nor elf, they strive to find their place in the world. Never a dull moment with this race, IMO.

The half-elven race is my favorite, followed somewhat close by city elves.  During the one time I played as a half-elf, I had a great amount of fun with the different aspects of the persona, and had the most varied and interesting experiences with the race.  The angst they have is great, and I never got tired of my half-elf.  City elves are my second favorite, just because of how sneaky and underhanded they are.  Elves are another race you would have to struggle to attain any position in society with, at least in a human-dominated society.

Humans, I rank as my least favorite race.  Why, might you ask?  Because I find them to be extremely boring.  If I wanted to play a human character, I could just forgo playing Arm and go be my own boring self somewhere else.  To me, humans are dull because they seem to have no personality save for that which the players of them have given them.  They're too average, in my opinion, and the only ones even half decent to play are those who are either insane or have some very interesting personal quirks.  Whenever I play a human, I just feel like I'm playing as an avatar of myself, which is not a good feeling as I came to Arm trying to escape being like that.

Quote from: "Teleri"Whenever I play a human, I just feel like I'm playing as an avatar of myself,

Funny, that's how I feel when I play a half-elf.  :P

Humans are probably my second favorite race, right after half-elves.  A human _can_ have the personality traits associated with any of the other humanoid race, they just don't have to.  You can be a big dumb oaf, and unlike a real half-giant no one will complain if you decide your dummy talks like tarzan.  You can be as obsessed as a dwarf, and even be  short and stout if you want.  You can be a thieving bastard with no concern for anyone else, or at least not for anyone outside your own family.  You can be born into slavery, with many of the same emotional problems as a mul.  You can have an obvious mutation or deformity that doesn't affect you physically, but that has led to a similar childhood as a half-elf, along with emotional problems and ongoing social dificulties.  

The big problem I have with humans is that it is too hard to stay unemployed in the cities.  The moment you show your face in public everyone is throwing job offers at you, and some of them are not easy to refuse.  :roll:

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

HALF-GIANT!

Uhm....yeah!  Go Half-giants!

Uhh...

*scratches his head and turns to walk away*
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Angela Christine"The big problem I have with humans is that it is too hard to stay unemployed in the cities.  The moment you show your face in public everyone is throwing job offers at you, and some of them are not easy to refuse.

No kidding. Even if you make a filthy, dirty street-rat, they'll try to hire you and clean you up. Phhh.

It's solveable though, just make a gemmer or a hideously mutated human with irredeemably bad manners. No one will want you then.

There is nothing that draws employers like a good pair of chalton leather boots, a plain tunic and pants, and a bone-studded backpack....
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "uberjazz"There is nothing that draws employers like a good pair of chalton leather boots, a plain tunic and pants, and a bone-studded backpack....

Hehehe, that's funny stuff.  And true.  It's one of my least favorite tasks, in this game, the cold call hiring.  I hate forcing reasons to talk to people.

"Hi there, couldn't help but notice you can fog up a mirror.  Want more money than any normal commoner could ever hope to see a month?  Please?  Pretty please?"

But, it has to be done.

Its funny, because you have to:

a) not only convince them to join, but

b) make them think you are doing them a favor, and not the other way around...

...tricky business, that recruiting job.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Dwarves forever!

They have a plight.

And no citadel I can find.

Until the dwarven legions march. Dwarves for me.

Quote from: "mansa"Avangion.

nah, ... Galith!

Playing a Blackwing was fun.  Mul was fun.
Rick/Lerl