GDB Idea

Started by creeper386, December 26, 2003, 10:44:39 PM

Okay. It just came to me that I've seen this before on other boards similar. Basically however it's coded the signatures only show up on the last post someone has in each thread.

So if someone posts three times in a thread, it only shows up in the third post. I'm sure it could be coded that it's per page, so people can still show off their signatures.

I was wondering if Brixius could possibly code something like this. Probably wouldn't be much but would think it might help some. I know most of the signatures don't need to be repeated several times in a row at least.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

What exactly would this solve?  Nobody's signature is so annoying you can't bear looking at it repeatedly, and once the image file is loaded from its source once, your browser shouldn't have to load it again for every reoccurring instance, because it'll load from your temporary folder...so it wouldn't really solve a bandwidth-related problem, either.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

As I said it wouldn't be a huge change, but I've seen it on other boards and it tends to keep things tidy.

For one, most sigs tend to be about 3-5 lines long. It'd reduce alittle bit of jumble of going though.

As for any help it'd give to the board itself. It'd depend how the signatures are done. If they are saved in one place and loaded into every post, it'd always cut some of the loading out. Sure it's not a big deal but it's always good to be as efficient as possible even if inefficiency doesn't adversly effect you. It's a matter of doing things proper like.

If it saves the signature with every thread. Well it could certainly cut down on space it's saved.

Either way it'd probably be more profensional use of resources. It just sort of came to me. It wouldn't be a big change, but in the least it'd cut some excess junk out with still leaving in an allowance for people to be creative. It's not really a big deal was just curious either way. It could also curb any ugly disagreements in the future about signatures. As those are probably more troublesome then any of the signatures themselves.

Creeper

Oh, by the way. I personally have little problem with scrolling past signatures. Although they can get annoying to see the same thing over and over and over again with multiple posts.  It isn't like it's better to have it constantly repeated.
21sters Unite!

I think people need to tone down on the sig size.

There is a growing number of sigs between five and eight lines tall, some even more. Do you really need a multiple quotes, multiple links, extra breaker lines AND an image? Some of you need to go on a sig diet, you're getting a little bloated and unsightly.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Quote from: "Callisto"I think people need to tone down on the sig size.

There is a growing number of sigs between five and eight lines tall, some even more. Do you really need a multiple quotes, multiple links, extra breaker lines AND an image? Some of you need to go on a sig diet, you're getting a little bloated and unsightly.

See, people would still complain about large and unsightly sigs but I think it'd be far less likely if that sig didn't come up multiple times on each page. I still think it'd be useful.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Inspired by this topic, I've added an image to my sig.  This is my sig test. :P

I personally would just like a simple way to switch sigs on and off.  If I could switch all sigs on or off, I would be perfectly happy.  I don't really care if I see a text sig or not.  Graphical sigs on the other hand, especially moving ones are just annoying to me.  I would happily turn them all off if I could.  If someone wanted to get real fancy, they could let me turn off individual sigs.  So if one person puts up a particularly annoying sig I could just turn their sigs off.

Honestly though, a simple on/off sig toggle that would turn all sigs on or off would be a solution I think would satisfy all.  People could put up whatever sig they want, and if someone is truly annoyed by flashing and spinning sigs, they could simply turn all sigs off.  People who want sigs are happy and people who don't want them are happy.

I don't know about IE, but Netscape allows you to disable animated icons, Rindan. I believe Spawnloser's little wizard guy does something, but I only see him standing still. You don't need to add tags to the GDB for that, anyone who doesn't like them can simply disable their ability to see them <shrugs>
It doesn't disable my ability to see animated graphics in other websites, just icons in sigs and similar.

Quote from: "Synthesis"Nobody's signature is so annoying you can't bear looking at it repeatedly

Really?

SUp.

LIEK OMG

(This isn't my signature, but since there's a 255 character limit, you could go pretty far down the page.)

To make my post more relevant, I don't see any real use in this. I don't care about people's signatures- in fact, the line thingie above them triggers my brain to skip down a few lines.
I've been away from Zalanthas for some time, but I still think you all are kank shit. Don't worry, I'll come back and fix it up. By the way, has anyone found, like, water? This desert is getting old.