change stance passive|agressive

Started by Delirium, December 16, 2003, 06:53:42 PM

Quote from: "Xygax"If you don't want to be tracked by the T1000s, don't hit them.

-- X

That little snippet got me thinking.

Are there any plans to impliment a 'change stance [passive|aggressive]' code?

Change stance passive -

Passive simply means you choose not to hit back if something or someone attacks you. I can think of MANY situations in which this could be applicable.

change stance agressive - the auto-combat we all know and love.

I love it!
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I'm not necessarily advocating the ability to change stance, though it might be nice.

I'm actually suggesting only that code be put in so that you can have your character not hit back if they are attacked. Thus the reason I call it 'passive'.

Great idea, something I'd love to see put in.

Why not just make it part of nosave?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Delirium wrote:
QuotePassive simply means you choose not to hit back if something or someone attacks you. I can think of MANY situations in which this could be applicable.

This is an idea I've often toyed with. I always thought it would be nice to have 'hit' differ from 'kill' in that if you 'hit' a target with 'nosave' on, there will be only one round of combat, and he won't fight back, and combat will automatically halt. Something like:
say (spit flying from his mouth in rage) Tell me where you're hiding the steel!

EMOTE raises his hand back in a slap aimed at ~prisoner.

hit prisoner

The ugly Tuluki prisoner dodges your hit
You hit the ugly Tuluk prisoner

And then it would end, forcing you to either type 'hit' again to continue the attack or 'kill' to h@xx0r them up properly. It'd be great for roleplay, especially bar fights, interrogations, tortures, that sort of thing. But there is one little problem with it... Some poor, linkdead sap with nosave on would be 'hit' to death by PKing twink, utterly defenseless. You have to admit, it's possible, and would still be an issue even with your method (assuming I understand it correctly), which is why I never brought it up. Nosave+linkdeath=instadeath. Not fun.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

well.. when you smack someone.. the 'prisoner' can type 'kill templar torturer' or whoever else is being smacked... and thus starting the all out brawl :D
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I'm against adding ANYTHING more to nosave. Stuff needs to split up in that department as it is.

I think different sort of combative options are good. A good start would be one were you don't fight back. Could have it so if you have it on and attack you get in one round then stop fighting back, and the fight stops right there if the other person doesn't fight back. That way you can basically go back and forth if you both have it on.

Again. NO MORE ADDITIONS TO NOSAVE! NONE!

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I'm still in favor of no-save being split up into the no-save we all know and love and no-resist, whereby you don't resist should guards or templars be trying to arrest you. I like the passive idea too. It would be useful in different situations than no-resist.

Outspoken member of the "It's-cooler-to-get-tortured-and-killed-in-jail-than-gang-banged-by- spiced-out-soldiers-of-doom-because-you-couldn't-type-nosave-fast-enough" committee.  :shock:

Edit: Oh, just had an idea. Make mercy and passive work together specially. If someone is flagged passive, and their attacker is flagged merciful, have the attacker only hit once, then stop. Would allow for real whippins to be handed out.

Or that hot half-giant/elf S&M scene you've all dreamed of RP'ing.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

I love these ideas, except for the one about adding it to nosave. I agree with Creeper on those sentiments.

Another idea...

would be to have nosave override any delay caused by combat. So that way if you do something that causes combat to start, and you forgot your nosave wasn't toggled correctly, you could flip to nosave immediately and avoid getting killed instead of just dragged off to jail.

You could also start a climb, and during the climb delay, you could say "oh shit I forgot!" and flip nosave and give yourself a chance to succeed the climb.

Sometimes it just takes a split second to realize you goofed, and no more than that to fix the goof before it's too late. But because of the delays in commands, there's nothing you can do about it. And so, I'd suggest the nosave flag be allowed to be used even in the middle of a delay of other commands.

I have no idea if that's codeable or not. But it would be nice.

As far as what I know of coding it's not possible Bestatte. The delay is a delay of you putting in any more commands. He basically kicks you out of the loop until the delay is over. It doesn't accept and hold back commands in a que or anything. It just lets the commands build up before accepting them.

It's like letting the commands build up outside of a parking garage as opposed to letting them in and get parked and have the people build up at the buildings doors perhaps?

SHRUG. Either way. Don't think it's possible.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"As far as what I know of coding it's not possible Bestatte.
And you work in IT to make this claim?  It's certainly possible.  Comparison on the command else behave normally.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

No. But my experience with basic diku code. The delays override everything to my knowledge. It's a common problem. MUDs normally aren't incredibly advanced code. They are basic loops as far as things go yes?

I don't know. Perhaps it would be possible, but from my experience, and from others I know that code for a living and on a MUD ... I figured it'd be a fairly big thing to rewrite basics of the whole code.
21sters Unite!

I'm not sure, creeper, that that's how it works.  Some skills have a 'delay' after them, but you can still send commands during those delays...how is it not possible to have other sorts of delay allow only certain commands through?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

In some code, it is completely codeable. I have no idea about diku though, or its derivitives.

In some games, all OOC commands override all IC command delays.

So using the Arm stuff for the example:

You type "listen on"
and during the delay you can still type
stat
score
save
nosave on
mercy
inv
help skill_mudsex

etc. etc. etc.

Or even up..or east..or sneak or hide, would still let you do any of the OOC commands without having to wait for the delay. The ooc commands answer to a different set of rules than the IC commands do, and so they can work independently of the rest of the game mechanics.

It is definitely possible, and implemented in some other games.  But the games I know where it works, aren't Diku.

Yes, you can SEND commands. Those commands aren't accepted into the loop untill after the delay as far as I know. Unless they have already made this change, or base diku is way different then I think, but it's something that hasn't been implemented in most base codes for three generations that I know of. And I've never seen it anywhere.

I'm sure it's possible, but as far as I know, you'd have to change the base loop. Which when you have heaviely modified stuff ... Can and most likely well end up causing troubles in other places.

Perhaps I'm completely wrong. I'm sure it's possible, but I'm certainly not going to hold my own breath. Have fun.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"Perhaps I'm completely wrong. I'm sure it's possible, but I'm certainly not going to hold my own breath. Have fun.
Heh, you say this like you expect us to hold ours.  I'm just saying that I KNOW that some delays allow for other to be sent and resolved (like different skills with a delay after them or unlocking a door using a keyring), so why can't others?  Does anyone know this for certain?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.