Quitting Out in VERY bad places...

Started by 10 Angry Housewives, December 16, 2003, 06:40:46 AM

Okay, to keep from getting too OOC here, I'll keep it vague...

A character of mine has to discuss very important stuff with another character, who happens to be metting with each other for only the first time... Where's a better place to discuss things than a secluded home?

So My character and other character get there, talk for a few minutes, and out of nowhere, with no OOC, no speaking or -anything- other character just stands up, and quits out right then and there...

I'm seriously perplexed, on how to handle this, and have been all night, since about 6pm yesterday to be exact... From both an OOC and IC perspective...

ICly, what happened? Did I presumably let the character out, only to return home weeks later to find everything gone, because said character snatched my valuables and bailed, via wishing up for help, or fleeing like a bat out of hell when I open the door? Did my character just let the character go to sleep out of the kindness of her heart, leaving this total stranger with family while she works? Heh... It makes the skull ache...

OOCly, i sent the MUD a mail asking for help on it... But am still just kinda wracked about it all. It would have taken me ten seconds to let the character out, so he could scramble to a public quitting joint right quick... Ugh it's a big mess!

Has anyone else had something like this happen? How did you handle it ICly? Though I figure I -might- have done a decent job handling it, I'd like to get some more feedback, in the case it happens again...

Just a note too, no combat or anything was involved, to make said character fearful for his life, it was a casual talk, and just, *poof!*  :?

My suggestion:

Since the PC is in your home, have your PC emote out binding them to the bed and gagging them. Wish up and ask the staff to attach a note to said PCs account, informing the player that their character is tied up and unable to move. Have your PC go on vacation long enough for the tied up PC to starve to death.

Tip: Wear an expensive top hat and grow a curling mustache for extra villain points!
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Same thing happened to me. I wished up (thankfully an IMM was around at the time, it was a "usual" playing time and not 4 in the morning). Told them someone quit out in my apartment, that my character -would- let them out, and that I had to log off for the night as well. I locked the door, copied the scrollback of me typing "look in cabinet/look in chest" to take stock of my entire apartment inventory, and left the game.

If my character found anything missing the next day, she'd have accused that person, problem solved. If nothing was missing, problem solved. If the guy was still there, problem solved, and if he was let out, problem solved.

Personally, I would be up on the tie-em-up solution.  That or wish up that you and everyone else there kicked him out...they may be able to set his load location to be somewhere other than his quit location.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

This raises a valid problem however in that it is too easy to twink out on and way the hell too much trouble for the staff when it happens. How about some flag that only lets the right people quit in your house. So if you rent a house from a nenyuki, they can "recruit" You to house tenant of nenyuk or something. And only a house tenant of Nenyuk can quit out in an apartment?

Then if someone you like wants to quit out there, you have the ability to recruit them as a temporary tenant perhaps, a flag that goes away after awhile like a crim flag. Obviously someone could still abuse the system but it would take a hell of alot more effort to twink yourself at least.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Then it'd be trouble for someone who wants to unwantedly stay in someplace. Rather occupied or not.

Although probably a rarer occasion, I'm still kind of against that idea. I'd say it probably doesn't happen that often that it's a huge deal. And certainly can be deal with ICly as much as anything else. Hell, just lock then in, and drop a note to the Staff about it. Might just be that you can go back with some templar or soldiers when he gets in your mind to let him back out. SHRUG.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I imagine they had a RL emergency.  I would simply wish up or (if there is no response) mail the MUD and ask them to reset his starting location to the Gaj or what not.

I like that idea.. except that would it grant access to the Nenyuki Compound? The whole tennant recruiting a temp tenant is great..except.. it doesn't really solve the questions.. unless it takes quit from everyone who isn't a tenant.. (Is that possible?) If it is.. this idea rules..
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Not necessarily. There have been times when I wouldn't have been able to quit out in an -abandoned- but locked apartment becuase of the flag. My character needed a place to stay and was laying low, what better then to brake into an empty apartment for a little while.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Yeah, I don't like the 'no quit if you don't rent' thing...just have the IMMs fix the situation.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Who would report them? They can't get crim flagged if no VNPCs see them.. or NPCs.. so yeah.. just have the imm fix it.. e
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.