A skinning knife, a waterskin, and the clothes on your back. [Role call!]

Started by Valkyrja, July 23, 2024, 05:45:33 PM

Year 48, The 23rd Age of the Dragon's Ire

Quote...Somewhere in the Red Desert...

When I return to consciousness, I start to immediately wish I hadn't, with the throbbing of a club-induced headache pounding in the back of my skull. Someone put a bag over my head earlier. Where am I?

I mull over the potential for torture and death in my near future. People want information regarding House secrets, of which I had no personal connection with, other than a passing interest like every other Fist soldier. That didn't matter. With things heating up between Salarr and Kurac, it seemed that some of the bad blood was spilling over into the Red Storm streets.

My eyes and chin turn to my left as I hear footsteps. I smell some spice smoke through the stitching of my restraint. The coarse blindfold grinds against my skin as it is ripped off unceremoniously. I am introduced to a dimly lit office that slowly melds into focus. A plain wooden desk, no windows, and a few maps of the Known are what I see at first, then: A krath-tanned man with a thick beard sat down on the lip of the desk, fingers spreading to grip its edge with a curious stare for me. When my vision finally sharpens, I realize that my hands, previously bound with rope, have been cut free. I never heard, felt, or knew about the blade.

Absently rubbing at my wrists, I ask haggardly, "What do you want?"

The man's brow quirks up to one side and he slowly reaches to pick up a plain glass bottle before pouring an amber liquid into a wooden cup. He offers it to me, and while I hesitate at first, I eventually nod, then stretch out a hand. It occurs to me that I might attempt to grapple with him and escape, but my lingering disorientation and the longknife at his belt convinces me otherwise. Not yet.

While returning to his seat, he replies, "I've been watching you, Ylmani. You're a talented soldier. I want to know what else you are great at." He takes a drink, as casual as can be, perhaps to demonstrate there is no poison. As he sets down the bottle, "My name is Khellam. I'd like to propose a position within the Outriders to you. If you're willing to earn it."

Now my head was spinning. The alleged Outrider crossed his arms as he simply weighed my reaction, unwavering from his focus to soak in my every wrinkle. It suddenly occurred to me that he was measuring my response. Taking control of my faculties, I claim, "I am willing."

"Everything you do from now until you die reflects on your loyalty to our mission. Follow the signs you are given, but forge your own path to accomplish your first assignment. Your test will last one week. As soon as we leave this office, you will be blindfolded, then dumped into hostile mantis territory with one waterskin, one skinning knife, and the clothes you are wearing.

"Day three, you will be approached by an Outrider who will show you this tattoo." Khellam bears his inked forearm. "They will have a set of instructions for you. Complete the task by day ten and you will be retrieved for future training and integration into our unit. Simply say 'I miss home' at any time to the Outrider in order to quit."

I could not help but wonder in what state I would be left in, if I uttered those words. I suck down the finest whiskey I've tasted in years and exhale the satisfying burn through my lips, allowing it to linger.

I finally say, "Let's get this shit over with."

House Kurac Outrider

Promoted in secret and kept on to perform tasks important to Mobile Operations, little is spoken about these units filled with mysterious desert wayfarers. Its members do not admit their association to anyone and take care to not be followed or exposed when conducting business. Myths about them are perpetuated everywhere in the Known and some have a grain of truth to them.

What we are looking for in this application:
  • Background/personality notes
  • 3 strengths & weaknesses
  • Some goals/ideas for your PC while you're ridin
  • Why you think you'd be great at the role

Please note: This role requires 2+ karma to apply. This role will be a more advanced combat and subterfuge clan. You will need to be independent, have good impulse control, enjoy "ranger life", and have a soft spot for small military unit roleplay.

Submit a role application request to House Kurac entitled OUTRIDER. Role call closes Tuesday July 30th at 9am PDT / 12pm EDT.