Changes to Teach

Started by Kavrick, July 04, 2024, 05:31:39 PM

So, I love the new changes to teach. I understand why it has a limit of 4 times a day because it bypasses skill cooldowns (which is also really cool). But one change I recommend is making it so the limit is on the learning side rather than the teaching side. So one person can be taught four times a day rather than teach. The reason why I think it's is better because it makes more sense that someone can only take in so much information per IC week rather than teach. If someone wants to play a tutor-like character, it'd be nice if they could teach multiple people without being limited. This also would encourage stuff like byn sergeants and other military leaders actually teaching people to fight rather than relying on only sparring.

What do people think? I think it'd actually be more balanced than how it currently is because you can't have one person taught by four different people for a total of sixteen skill increases (although I doubt this happens). Also I think on the other side, I'd be more cautious about using my teaches if I know I'm limited.
I make up for the tiny in-game character limit by writing walls of text here.

I'd like this. Having higher skills than your minions would be nice to be able to pass that along a lot <3
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

I think the main point of learn is so that people who are limited in their play time, can advance skills, and teach requires another person.

Also,  trainers in the Byn, Troopers and Sergeants, AOD, Legion have always used teach to help advance people along.

Quote from: Tailong on July 04, 2024, 05:41:53 PMI think the main point of learn is so that people who are limited in their play time, can advance skills, and teach requires another person.

Also,  trainers in the Byn, Troopers and Sergeants, AOD, Legion have always used teach to help advance people along.

Sorry, It's a little hard to explain because of the terms. I don't mean 'learn' as in the 'learn' command, but as in 'learn' as in having someone use 'teach' on you. I hope that clarifies what I mean!

Quote from: Kavrick on July 04, 2024, 05:42:55 PM
Quote from: Tailong on July 04, 2024, 05:41:53 PMI think the main point of learn is so that people who are limited in their play time, can advance skills, and teach requires another person.

Sorry, It's a little hard to explain because of the terms. I don't mean 'learn' as in the 'learn' command, but as in 'learn' as in having someone use 'teach' on you. I hope that clarifies what I mean!

Heh, yeah so on topic, I'd love there to be an increase in 'teaches' to four a day, and people could actually plan out like a lesson plan

Quote from: Tailong on July 04, 2024, 05:45:42 PMHeh, yeah so on topic, I'd love there to be an increase in 'teaches' to four a day, and people could actually plan out like a lesson plan

100%, I think the idea of seeking out a master or teacher is kinda an aspect of the game that isn't used often. It's why I wanted the teach limit to work the other way around, so someone who is a teacher can teach multiple people and not have that per-day limit to worry about. Older characters teaching younger characters (as in playtime) is also a nice way to relieve grind in an rp-friendly way.

July 04, 2024, 05:59:09 PM #6 Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 06:07:35 PM by Dresan
I think when teach was first implemented years ago it had good intentions.

Here was a skill that could allow someone to help boost a newer character, with some notable coded restrictions at the time. It was a truly an altruistic feature though. However, the staff at the time had different ideas about how to properly roleplay 'teach' with some staff demanding 30 to 40 mins of roleplay teaching before using the command. At one point someone in staff even harassed a player right out of the game for teaching others 'inappropriately'.

Granted the command could be prone to some abuse, but I believe that should have been addressed with code, not with subjective opinions. The few times I tried to use it in the past for stuff like weapon skills, most people couldn't teach me or I couldn't teach others anything they didn't already know.

I somewhat unfairly avoid this feature at this point, and I haven't used it in years but it is not something that has left good memories. Again, I hope that there has been more attempt to balance it with code then in a subjectively manner, but its certainly seems more useful and powerful than ever in the past so that is good to see.

Quote from: Dresan on July 04, 2024, 05:59:09 PMHere was a skill that could allow someone to help boost a newer character, with some notable coded restrictions at the time. It was a truly an altruistic feature though. However, the staff at the time had different ideas about how to properly roleplay 'teach' with some staff demanding 30 to 40 mins of roleplay teaching before using the command. At one point someone in staff even harassed a player right out of the game for teaching others 'inappropriately'.

I'll admit that I've also experienced this issue. On two occassions I was berated for not emoting 'enough' for a teach command. It's just a strange standard because I still did teach the person, giving them tips and explaining things, and it does kinda just put you off using the feature at all. Nigh-wordless sparring is ok though and it's where I don't fully understand the standard of roleplay.

Although there's a good chance this is a historic problem, I haven't yet been in the position to teach anyone yet in the new season so I'll probably give it a try.

Quote from: Dresan on July 04, 2024, 05:59:09 PMI think when teach was first implemented years ago it had good intentions.

Here was a skill that could allow someone to help boost a newer character, with some notable coded restrictions at the time. It was a truly an altruistic feature though. However, the staff at the time had different ideas about how to properly roleplay 'teach' with some staff demanding 30 to 40 mins of roleplay teaching before using the command. At one point someone in staff even harassed a player right out of the game for teaching others 'inappropriately'.

say Okay, you hold it like this, see?
emote adjusts his grip
teach stuffz to frend
say Yeah, like that, good!
Veteran Newbie

With teach room this seems like less of a limitation now? But I think the timer on teaches could be reduced.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on July 04, 2024, 10:05:29 PMWith teach room this seems like less of a limitation now? But I think the timer on teaches could be reduced.

Teach room is cool but it also requires a bunch of people to all be online at the same time, which isn't great for off-peak people or people with less time to play. Not to disregard it, I love the fact you can teach an entire room, but just from my perspective it can be difficult to get a bunch of people together all at once for it.

With this new implementation whenever I use the teach command, I hit teach room instead of teach PC even though there is only one person seen. You can never know, if there is someone watching you from the shadows trying to benefit from your wisdom and knowledge.  8)
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

IMO none of this is super right or super wrong...probably it makes sense to have both teacher-side and student-side limitations, but unless someone really starts hamming it up what's important is just that it isn't trivially exploitable.

Like, if you can get 5 skilled teachers in a room every day and they're all roleplaying lessons.. maybe it's a good problem to have.
"I wasn't afraid," said Pooh, said he,
"I'm never afraid with you."