worst death?

Started by R.i.p., December 08, 2003, 06:44:40 PM

I had a character who had moved up in the ranks of a large organization, and I was finally getting to see some of that 'behind-the-sceens' type stuff that people refer to from time to time. It just so happens that this character has a primary goal of becoming filthy rich, and his employer helps him out with this. So, he goes to the Bard's Barrel, his first day in his new silk clothes. He's sitting alone for a few minutes after he finishes talking to someone. Just as I start to type stand to logoff, he gets backstabbed. I then proceeded to freak out and lose all ability to type. Two rounds of combat later I'm watching my loved character's life ebb away as he bleeds to death on the floor. Not too much later I'm looking at the mantis. It was like I had just watched a Mack truck run over a beloved pet.

Okay so I'm going somewhere with someone to someplace. And we're not going the usual way, so I have no idea where we are at the moment. (foreshadowing!)

So out of the blue (or was it a hole?) comes this freaky person wearing some kind of thing, on a mount, and starts bludgeoning me. I'm like, okay, so I FLEE and go east. And the guy follows me and starts stabbing and piercing me! Wait - I think - that's not right. He's got 3 weapons? Okay fine, whatever. FLEE! and go west. and he follows me again! And so I FLEE and go somewhere, I'm not sure where, and this freaky guy wearing some kind of thing walks out from somewhere to where I am, and starts kicking me and slashing me and stuff..Okay...FLEE - and I'm down to like maybe 26 hps, and probably around 30 stun points, and if I'm lucky I might still have 40 stamina left. Then some freaky guy wearing some kinda thing shoots me with an arrow I think..or maybe a knife? I dunno, just some OTHER attack method. And I die.

I found out later OOCly it was more than one PC, and if I'd paid attention to them I would've noticed that they weren't all wearing the same stuff..

But it was a very strange death, and I never did find out if it was a random raid, or an assassination, or if we just got too close to someone's territory and they were protecting their turf, or what.

My only criticism was that there was -zero- roleplay. I had no chance to emote anything other than to shout HELP!. I knew I was gonna die, but damn, at least give me, the player, a little satisfaction in knowing that these weren't just automated NPC mobs next time.

Went alone on foot into the salt flat to find some salt crystals. Met another guy so we decided to hunt some Scrabs. The first one hit him really bad. After the fight I skinned the beast. He took only the meat, I the shell. He went off to Allanak. I met a second Scrab and beat it. But I was down to 9 HP. After skinning and looting I turned back to Allanak too. Badly hurt I met a lady of a merchant house. She asked me what happened and I told her the story. Promptly she offered me to join the clan. She only had to bring back her kank to stable and we decided to meet in the "Barrel".
In the tavern I allready ordered to mugs of ale and waited for her. I was happy. I survived my stupid trip into the dessert (on foot, trusting a stranger and fighting alone a scrab) and finally made my first contact to a clan.
The next thing I noticed was the start menu of Armageddon with the option to create a new char. I scrolled up the screen and read that some damm cloaked bastard hit me "really hard on the back of my head".
Some motherfu***CENSORED***ng guy slayed me oppenly in a tavern without a reason!?! I hope they got him and skinned him alive!!! Nevermind...
My next char will be dwarfen assassian with the focus to kill all who hide behind cloak...LOL
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

Quotescrolled up the screen and read that some damm cloaked bastard hit me "really hard on the back of my head".
Some motherfu***CENSORED***ng guy slayed me oppenly in a tavern without a reason!?! I hope they got him and skinned him alive!!! Nevermind...

I've heard a few stories about things like this happening and something really needs to be done. It's ridiculous that people are getting attacked and killed and someone's getting off free when there's tons of VNPCs around.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Lasakar, was this recently?  Like, yesterday?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Yep! Was yesterday.

Man, I was there....that was easily that gayest pkill I've ever seen.  It made no sense, and it happened in a room full of PCs...let alone all the vnpcs...I hope this is being looked into because best I can tell, there was no provocation for this.  And no RP whatsoever.

Bad habit of spamming walk commands as I am impatient.  Walked into the Tal-Zen tunnel around eight or nine times while I was looking away from the keyboard.

-Der Comrade
-Grrrrr
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

I got a quite good hunter in the south, who was both lucky and kicking-ass type.  He was wandering around Allanak, after some forgotten-to-be-removed trigger in my program crushed the connection and after I reconnect, I saw my guy at -4 hp and a message like
" Showing mercy, you withold the killing blow" was spamming.  Then in my confusion I just could not help but watch that spamming message like 25 times and then saw mantis head.  I was really pissed off about not knowing what happened to my char.

Then I made another hunter which got better.  He was hunting alone in the south without fear.  For no beast was able to get close enough to hit him.  He even had fights like (I hope I am not going to IC) 2 or 3 black beetles at a time.   Well, after sometime he gets bored as nothing in the southern deserts is a challenge, and founds two n00b to hunt down a mek.
The rest of the story is...
A very long and spammy fight...
One bite on the head..
And there is the mantis head
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Lasakar"
Some motherfu***CENSORED***ng guy slayed me oppenly in a tavern without a reason!?! I hope they got him and skinned him alive!!!

Hope is good, doing something is better.  In a case like this where something smells really bad I think is important to drop a short, non-whiney note to the MUD with the time, place and circumstances.  That makes sure that the staff know about it.  The point isn't to try to get someone into trouble, but to get the staff to look into the incident.  Maybe there was a good RP reason for something apparently inexplicable, maybe there wasn't, you'll never know but the staff should.

In many clans people are expected to report any PKs they are involved in, so that their imm knows what is going on.  Independants don't have to do this, but if someone has created a crazed mass murderer type character I think that is something the staff would want to keep an eye on.  

The danger of random death behind every corner adds to the atmosphere of the game,  but frequently acting out meaningless random PKs just alienates players without adding much.  When I am in a position to influence a potential PK situation I try to find another way to resolve the situation.  Death is fun and all, but I think that a close call is more fun for everyone, and promotes more conflict in the long run.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I would second ACs advice.  Nothing might happen, and it is very possible (even probable) you will not get your character back.  However, if it was a stupid and twinky death, then it is also probable that the person who did it will get a talking to.  

I myself had a similar incident, though not to such an extreme.  Me and a few other soldiers were standing around in a bar which was owned by us (IE, we could use force if we had to).  Our commander suddenly passed out do to excessive way usage.  Me and two soldiers immedietly and without hesitation drew our weapons, hit guard on the fallen commander, and my character then declared that any person who even got close to the fallen would be killed, no questions asked.  An elf in the tavern decided that then would be a good time to steal the anakore gloves from off our commander's hands.  He threw out a token amount of 'the elf takes something from fallen person', then before anyone can react is out the door.  It was twinky to say the least.  I dropped the imms a line, gave the time, date, and my account, a log, and why I thought the situation was pure unadulterated bull shit.  They actually ended up forwarding a hunk of my letter to that player in addition to whatever else they told them.

The point wasn't a 'ha ha' we caught you.  It wasn't even to get the gloves back (which we didn't to my knowledge), it was so that in the very least, that person understood that what they did was stupid, twinky, and wrong.  I would like to think that that person saw the error in their ways and didn't repeat such a mistakes again.

So, will you get your life back?  Eh... I wouldn't count on it.  But in the very least you will point out the to the imms someone who is behaving like a jack ass so they can set them straight.

I went afk to get a beer, standing alone in my PC's private residence.  I hear a beep from the other room.  Curious, I return to my computer, staring at the mantis head.  Without IC details, one must remember:

You are never safe.
We all become what we pretend to be.  -Rothfuss

Yeah.. Not even safe when you are on kank-back and talking to a guard.. someone will backstab you and make off with all your clothes, and kank.. without the guard seeing it..
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

My worst death recently happened, I'll leave it at that.

I have it now!
I am lying in the desert with (*looking the other screen*) -6 points!

Not really funny....

Now -5 points....
Will I make it?

- 4 Points!

I sneak back from the light at the end of the tunnel...

Not to sound like a bitch, but I'll sound like one anyway, I guess..

But it's not a good idea to advertise your IC state on the GDB.

I understand you're probably bored. Might as well read a book or something while you watch your character climb back from the brink of death (or not) :)

Nope. He is dead!

F***k!

All of my deaths have sucked.  I seem to keep surviving the really cooool encounters (HRPTs and whatnot), and dying during really lame ones.

Well there was that one character... who got killed when the server went down, and got resurrected to die 3 IG days later..
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Upperjazz hits the point. Armageddon teaches you really that death is not heroic!

My last char had some real nasty fights and survived them. And then he rides simply through the desert with two comrads as a beetle appeared.
My kank (the first one which never resisted to move!) threw me from his back (Hitoints down to 50 from 112!) and the damm beetle hit me two times before I could stand up. Bingo, -10 HP!
The funny part of the story is I tried to drink some water as the beetle appeared. So I could watch my HP climb up slowly and in the same moment I died of thirst with a full waterskin in the hand (And two in the backpack)! No chance. :cry:

It is the second time that my kank killed me this way. :?

What means that? :?:
Next application will be for an elf!  8)

PS: Sorry if my English is little bit strange, but I am from Germany  :roll:

I had a fairly badass Krathi, and was practicing a certain magick.  Lets just say through extremely bad luck I ended up casting a spell at un instread of nil.  And I had done something, without thinking, an hour or so before that made this bad, bad, bad.

Mantis head.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

When some stupid bastard decided beating on me in prison would be fun. AND IN THE DARK! I screamed for the guards, wished up for the guards to be animated, threw my belt at the door, all to no avail. And so I died.

AND IF YOU'RE OUT THERE, STUPID POOP HEAD PERSON, BE WARNED THAT I'M STILL HUNTING FOR YOU!
I've been away from Zalanthas for some time, but I still think you all are kank shit. Don't worry, I'll come back and fix it up. By the way, has anyone found, like, water? This desert is getting old.