worst death?

Started by R.i.p., December 08, 2003, 06:44:40 PM

What has been your PC death experience?

I know mine, It was very recently (hence me posting this question).
I was playing and my char was walking, all of sudden i look away from the screen and notice my puppy pooping on te floor, i quickly type rest and rush over to remedy the doggydoo situation and when i return i see the loathed , feared and respected mantis head. I was so ticked but i accepted death since it was one of my favored chars.
Anyone else have something as so upsetting happen to them?J
ust curious.

oops i meant worst pc death experience,
sorry i missed that in the first post.

What happened?  Can't you scroll up?
Back from a long retirement

*winces*
I'd.. so.. rather not go there!

Let's just say it included two very loved characters and a volley of NPC spears.  :)

Alas no, I use telnet and I couldnt scroll up that high.

thats sucks R.i.p. but i can sympathize, I was busy fighting a NPC when my sis came up to the computer and hit the little x button that closed my telnet window.
oh I'm on fire.

My PC on a kank...2 gith...and no shield...enough said.  :(
Surrender!"
"You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept."

A brand new character and I was still relatively knew to the mud.  My city-elf warrior/hunter was by no ranger, but wanted to get back to the wilderness, which his city tribe had left behind mostly...so he hooks up with a desert elf...and gets run out of stamina when the two go out hunting.  Lo and behold, in walks a gortok...and eats me.  Most annoying.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Most brutal deaths, or most OOCly "damnit that shouldn't have happened!" deaths? I don't have any of the latter..

But let's see...

A creature which will go unnamed fed my first character to its young... while she was still alive. Talk about gruesome...

And as for the rest of my deaths, all I have to say is..

You hear a woman's voice shout from the east in an unfamiliar tongue:
    "Kumi! Kucy! HA HA HA!"

Ok, so, I'm this 5'4 little woman. Sure, I'm a warrior, but still, I'm short! Anyways, I'd just recently had twins, and I had also just taken a trip north with my boss. So I was walking around seeing the sights, and since this was my first char to see the north, I had no clue what anything was. So, I saw this Army Camp sitting out near the Sanct, and I'm all like, hey, there's kanks just SITTING there. Are they crazy? So I type enter camp, and the TWO HG that were guarding it were unable to stop me. Shows me how good the militia up there was. No wonder the north took back over! Of course, I died. I still to this day think that is INSANLY unfair. I mean, TWO HG couldn't stop a tiny woman with babies in eather arm? Who was walking? ~sighs~

-Tortall, who still misses that char.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

One of my characters had to run from a huge manhunt taking place to find him. Successfully getting away and hiding in safety he attempts to make his way south, only to fall into a hole and die.
ocking a fake scream, the badass scorpion exclaims to you, in
sirihish:
"Ah! Scorpions! I pissed my Wyvern trousers! Ah!"

I managed to pull off a defection from a very large organization, sold them out, and was promptly betrayed to the people who I was selling out to (after they got the information I had first of course).  So, the organization I escaped from comes with a wagon to get me.  My character is blinded while he waits for his former employer to come get him.  It is safe to say they are going to torture and kill me.  So, I wait without putting up a fight while the wagon comes to get me without speaking or putting up a fight, all the while getting ready to try and escape.  The wagon comes and I am thrown a nasty old mul.  While my former employer talks with the people who captured me the blinding wears off.  So, I am in this wagon with a unit of soldiers, some more soldiers, a Templar, a horrifically powerful man, and I am in the arms of a mul.  

I figure I am dead and I might as well spare myself the torture by getting myself killed now.  So, I start to violently struggle to get away from the mul that has me subdued.  The people who captured me offer to put me down as I violently struggle like an animal.  My over confident employer shakes his head and tells the templar not to bother, confident that the mul can hold me down.  No one bothers to emote blocking the exits, no one responds to my struggling other then the mul that is trying to hold me down.  While they are chatting and I am fighting like an animal, I break free.  I promptly run my ass out of the wagon and take off.  I escape to a safe place by the skin of my teeth, fighting off a soldier unarmed to get there.  The next day I am in my new safe place and I get cocky.  I decide to see if the soldiers are still after me.  A half giant subdues me.  I break free from the half giant TWICE.  Because I am a little lagged I don't get away from the half-giant before he resubdues me both times.  I get dragged to jail and I get killed trying to escape.

I kicked my own ass for hours after words.  First, checking to see if the guards still wanted me was fucking stupid.  Second, the fact that code wise I broke free twice and I still didn't get away because I was lagged drove me nuts.  It was a crappy end to a great character who had performed more stuff in his life then all of my other characters put together.  Gah.

yeah.. 3 minutes after my three hours was up..
I was caught stealing from some chick..
then A soldier saw me.. attacked me.. no warning whatsoever..
I fled.. into a room with only one exit.. so I waited.. and waited... then fours soldiers popped in and killed me.. never saw them enter..
it was a e, kill elf thing..

My most memorable character who accomplished the most out of any of my PC's died to a "get all" with no wielded weapons to an NPC who he normally could have killed without being hit once. Well, the NPC didn't finish him, but being TOO FULL to eat a TABLET!!! killed him shortly afterwards. Fuck. Yes I am still bitter. Yes it was a year ago.

Quote from: "Northlander"*winces*
I'd.. so.. rather not go there!

Let's just say it included two very loved characters and a volley of NPC spears.  :)

I feel you there, Northlander. I lost a great one to that myself.
 staff member sends:
    "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"

*cough* I had an extremely lucky and extremely rich character once, escaped death in many crazy situations when he should have died.

One day I was being chased by an npc, so I ducked into a bar and ducked in the back, kneeling behind a table.

The npc walks in, and is spamming hunt. I'm like, hey, I'm gonna fix that, cuz he -should- have found me. Instead of wishing up for the npc to attack me, I decide to jump up and launch myself into it. I thought being part of a clan in which the bar was owned by would have me safe, but alas, I died in 2 rounds to about a pagefull of NPC going aggro. I kicked myself ALOT.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

One of my favorite characters who had great things turning around in a few OOC days. Got hit in the head with a gith spear. Guess it was an instant death. :( Terrible terrible thing.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Recently had a hunter character that was a riot to play, and was involved with some interesting characters and some intriguing, albeit small and unimportant, plots.

Anyways, my character came across a large, tasty-looking herbivore and (eventually) engaged it in melee combat. It smacked him silly, so he ran away a room or two. My sister had been bugging me to help her pack all day, so I decided to give her a hand until the 'You're too excited to leave yet!' thing wore off, and I could log out proper. Since this NPC I fought was a non-aggro PC, and even an auto-flee one at that, I figured my hunter was relatively safe. Heh, I was quite wrong. I came back when my sister was done with her luggage to check on things... I saw some combat stuff flash by, assessed my enemy, and had a moment of drama when I typed 'score' and saw I had -4 HP... Then that blasted mantis head. The fact that the NPC in question was 'near death' when it overtook my character didn't help to calm my rage.

He bit off more than he could chew, and the thing he bit managed to chew him. Who'd of thunk it?

What made me so angry about the death was the fact that it could have been easily prevented. If I had been standing instead of mounted at the time, I might've lived. If my character was holding a weapon, he might've lived. If I stayed ten seconds longer before leaving, or took a quick break from my sister's packing to check my character, I might've lived. If I hadn't decided to fight the beast, I might've lived (although I did fight it for IC reasons, I assure you). But that's Arm, for you. I'm sure soon I'll make another character who will be even more entertaining soon enough.

*KABOOM*
Nilazi cantrip:
You get a brief image of a pasty-white twenty-something hunched over a plastic tray and staring into a shining box as @ begins his incantation.

I was playing a northlands rebellion PC for a while. I was pretty excited about the PC, because I'd just come off of a really long-lived isolationist character, and I was enjoying being in the midst of some action.

Anyway, I was out hunting and ran into a certain beastie, but I wasn't that far from camp. I kill the beastie, but it manages to poison me. "No big deal," I thought. "I have cures at the camp."

So, just as I'm heading back to camp, my father-in-law-to-be drops in. I knew he was coming to our house, but he was extremely early. My fiance (his daughter) wasn't home, so I had to answer the door and entertain him. Then, I had to help him bring his things inside, then I had to have a drink with him and make him feel at home.

All the while, I'm thinking about my poor poisoned PC. Now, my father-in-law is like a blue-collar, salt-of-the-earth, football-loving, meat-and-potatoes, kind of guy. He isn't going to appreciate it if I tell him to excuse me, while I go save my character in this weird text-based fantasy game that I play. In fact, he'd probably wonder what kind of freak his daughter was marrying.

Needless to say, after an hour and a half (he finally decided to take a shower), I snuck off to check my computer and find my PC dead.

The moral of the story: Sometimes one must choose between real life relationships and PCs. The choise is not easy, but real life takes precedence.;)
ack to retirement for the school year.

Quote from: "Bakha"
The moral of the story: Sometimes one must choose between real life relationships and PCs. The choise is not easy, but real life takes precedence.;)

*Glances around slowly* When was someone going to explain that to me? All this time I thought my PC mattered more than life... Oh wait.. It does..
ocking a fake scream, the badass scorpion exclaims to you, in
sirihish:
"Ah! Scorpions! I pissed my Wyvern trousers! Ah!"

I was a dwarven explorer. I was with a friend. I was on a kank, and was not traveling with the best skills south. We were half way to Allanak from Luirs when my friend heads south, and I am stuck for a moment trying to get my mount to go. The next thing I know, my friend is dead on the ground. I was a newb at the time also. I was quickly knocked off my kank and killed with in a number of seconds. I scrolled up and saw that a pack of gith had gotten.

Oh well,

Quote:Death us just another part of the game. I realize that now and accept all my chars. deaths with more ease.
uppers.

Alright, here's my worst death.

I'm a tribal hunter.  During an event in which I called an imaginary person who worked for a certain clan a wench, I got subdued by somebody in that clan who then dragged me into the compound, managing to stay clear of NPC soldiers.  They proceed to kill me.

I E-mail the clan immortal and complain that it seemed an excessive punishment, but she tells me that the death was due to a bug.  She implied that I probably wouldn't get ressurected for it, so I never bothered with a ressurection app and I moved on.
Back from a long retirement

In the middle of plotting death for a raider who tried to kill me.  Walk back in through the gates with something illegal in my pockets and get killed.

Meanwhile, outside the gates are my buddies, waiting to jump him.

Worst death case for me was with my favorite sorcerer PC.

My vile fella had a master teaching him the secrets of the dark arts.  He was a loyal apprentice, my guy, and it was time to meet another of master's lackeys.  Master told my fellow he was leaving it up to him as to whether this other lackey lives and serves, or dies (and serves through that. heh heh).

Well, we used magick to get to where the lackey was, but it was dark.  My fellow could magickally see, but that wears off.  Terrible thing is that where ever we were, it prevented the casting of magick, so my fella was effectively blind.  He couldn't see to continue following his master and was left behind.

Instead of simply sitting and waiting for master's return, I decide to have him try to get out of where he was.  Of course he wanders into a death trap in the dark.   :evil:

The End.   :cry:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Playing a desert elf in a clan. Myself and a group of about 10 others go out to confront other PCs about something in our situation.

Half-way there, we run into a pack of mantis.
I was visiting my folks and using my pop's computer - before he had a cable modem, so picking up the phone would produce serious lag.
It went a little something like this:

The big ugly mantis has arrived from the north (*5)
A big ugly mantis strikes at you, nicking your arm.
hp 89/100> flee
(nothing)

A big ugly mantis strikes at you, hitting your head.
The really nasty mantis wields a weapon, grazing your arm.
hp 59/100> FLEE
(nothing)

(Frantic pressing of keys ensues as the screen flashes by quickly)

You have lost your connection....

I type 'connect ginka.armageddon.org 4050' - lag then drop
I type 'connect ginka.armageddon.org 4050' a little more frantically - lag then drop
...connecting to ginka.armageddon.org 4050

hp 04/100> FLE
Your vision goes black.
*Beep* Welcome to Armageddon!

It rather sucked, heh.
Atalya

I had a character who had moved up in the ranks of a large organization, and I was finally getting to see some of that 'behind-the-sceens' type stuff that people refer to from time to time. It just so happens that this character has a primary goal of becoming filthy rich, and his employer helps him out with this. So, he goes to the Bard's Barrel, his first day in his new silk clothes. He's sitting alone for a few minutes after he finishes talking to someone. Just as I start to type stand to logoff, he gets backstabbed. I then proceeded to freak out and lose all ability to type. Two rounds of combat later I'm watching my loved character's life ebb away as he bleeds to death on the floor. Not too much later I'm looking at the mantis. It was like I had just watched a Mack truck run over a beloved pet.

Okay so I'm going somewhere with someone to someplace. And we're not going the usual way, so I have no idea where we are at the moment. (foreshadowing!)

So out of the blue (or was it a hole?) comes this freaky person wearing some kind of thing, on a mount, and starts bludgeoning me. I'm like, okay, so I FLEE and go east. And the guy follows me and starts stabbing and piercing me! Wait - I think - that's not right. He's got 3 weapons? Okay fine, whatever. FLEE! and go west. and he follows me again! And so I FLEE and go somewhere, I'm not sure where, and this freaky guy wearing some kind of thing walks out from somewhere to where I am, and starts kicking me and slashing me and stuff..Okay...FLEE - and I'm down to like maybe 26 hps, and probably around 30 stun points, and if I'm lucky I might still have 40 stamina left. Then some freaky guy wearing some kinda thing shoots me with an arrow I think..or maybe a knife? I dunno, just some OTHER attack method. And I die.

I found out later OOCly it was more than one PC, and if I'd paid attention to them I would've noticed that they weren't all wearing the same stuff..

But it was a very strange death, and I never did find out if it was a random raid, or an assassination, or if we just got too close to someone's territory and they were protecting their turf, or what.

My only criticism was that there was -zero- roleplay. I had no chance to emote anything other than to shout HELP!. I knew I was gonna die, but damn, at least give me, the player, a little satisfaction in knowing that these weren't just automated NPC mobs next time.

Went alone on foot into the salt flat to find some salt crystals. Met another guy so we decided to hunt some Scrabs. The first one hit him really bad. After the fight I skinned the beast. He took only the meat, I the shell. He went off to Allanak. I met a second Scrab and beat it. But I was down to 9 HP. After skinning and looting I turned back to Allanak too. Badly hurt I met a lady of a merchant house. She asked me what happened and I told her the story. Promptly she offered me to join the clan. She only had to bring back her kank to stable and we decided to meet in the "Barrel".
In the tavern I allready ordered to mugs of ale and waited for her. I was happy. I survived my stupid trip into the dessert (on foot, trusting a stranger and fighting alone a scrab) and finally made my first contact to a clan.
The next thing I noticed was the start menu of Armageddon with the option to create a new char. I scrolled up the screen and read that some damm cloaked bastard hit me "really hard on the back of my head".
Some motherfu***CENSORED***ng guy slayed me oppenly in a tavern without a reason!?! I hope they got him and skinned him alive!!! Nevermind...
My next char will be dwarfen assassian with the focus to kill all who hide behind cloak...LOL
Do you know what you're doing, man?"
"Why should that stop me?"

Quotescrolled up the screen and read that some damm cloaked bastard hit me "really hard on the back of my head".
Some motherfu***CENSORED***ng guy slayed me oppenly in a tavern without a reason!?! I hope they got him and skinned him alive!!! Nevermind...

I've heard a few stories about things like this happening and something really needs to be done. It's ridiculous that people are getting attacked and killed and someone's getting off free when there's tons of VNPCs around.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Lasakar, was this recently?  Like, yesterday?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Yep! Was yesterday.

Man, I was there....that was easily that gayest pkill I've ever seen.  It made no sense, and it happened in a room full of PCs...let alone all the vnpcs...I hope this is being looked into because best I can tell, there was no provocation for this.  And no RP whatsoever.

Bad habit of spamming walk commands as I am impatient.  Walked into the Tal-Zen tunnel around eight or nine times while I was looking away from the keyboard.

-Der Comrade
-Grrrrr
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

I got a quite good hunter in the south, who was both lucky and kicking-ass type.  He was wandering around Allanak, after some forgotten-to-be-removed trigger in my program crushed the connection and after I reconnect, I saw my guy at -4 hp and a message like
" Showing mercy, you withold the killing blow" was spamming.  Then in my confusion I just could not help but watch that spamming message like 25 times and then saw mantis head.  I was really pissed off about not knowing what happened to my char.

Then I made another hunter which got better.  He was hunting alone in the south without fear.  For no beast was able to get close enough to hit him.  He even had fights like (I hope I am not going to IC) 2 or 3 black beetles at a time.   Well, after sometime he gets bored as nothing in the southern deserts is a challenge, and founds two n00b to hunt down a mek.
The rest of the story is...
A very long and spammy fight...
One bite on the head..
And there is the mantis head
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Lasakar"
Some motherfu***CENSORED***ng guy slayed me oppenly in a tavern without a reason!?! I hope they got him and skinned him alive!!!

Hope is good, doing something is better.  In a case like this where something smells really bad I think is important to drop a short, non-whiney note to the MUD with the time, place and circumstances.  That makes sure that the staff know about it.  The point isn't to try to get someone into trouble, but to get the staff to look into the incident.  Maybe there was a good RP reason for something apparently inexplicable, maybe there wasn't, you'll never know but the staff should.

In many clans people are expected to report any PKs they are involved in, so that their imm knows what is going on.  Independants don't have to do this, but if someone has created a crazed mass murderer type character I think that is something the staff would want to keep an eye on.  

The danger of random death behind every corner adds to the atmosphere of the game,  but frequently acting out meaningless random PKs just alienates players without adding much.  When I am in a position to influence a potential PK situation I try to find another way to resolve the situation.  Death is fun and all, but I think that a close call is more fun for everyone, and promotes more conflict in the long run.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I would second ACs advice.  Nothing might happen, and it is very possible (even probable) you will not get your character back.  However, if it was a stupid and twinky death, then it is also probable that the person who did it will get a talking to.  

I myself had a similar incident, though not to such an extreme.  Me and a few other soldiers were standing around in a bar which was owned by us (IE, we could use force if we had to).  Our commander suddenly passed out do to excessive way usage.  Me and two soldiers immedietly and without hesitation drew our weapons, hit guard on the fallen commander, and my character then declared that any person who even got close to the fallen would be killed, no questions asked.  An elf in the tavern decided that then would be a good time to steal the anakore gloves from off our commander's hands.  He threw out a token amount of 'the elf takes something from fallen person', then before anyone can react is out the door.  It was twinky to say the least.  I dropped the imms a line, gave the time, date, and my account, a log, and why I thought the situation was pure unadulterated bull shit.  They actually ended up forwarding a hunk of my letter to that player in addition to whatever else they told them.

The point wasn't a 'ha ha' we caught you.  It wasn't even to get the gloves back (which we didn't to my knowledge), it was so that in the very least, that person understood that what they did was stupid, twinky, and wrong.  I would like to think that that person saw the error in their ways and didn't repeat such a mistakes again.

So, will you get your life back?  Eh... I wouldn't count on it.  But in the very least you will point out the to the imms someone who is behaving like a jack ass so they can set them straight.

I went afk to get a beer, standing alone in my PC's private residence.  I hear a beep from the other room.  Curious, I return to my computer, staring at the mantis head.  Without IC details, one must remember:

You are never safe.
We all become what we pretend to be.  -Rothfuss

Yeah.. Not even safe when you are on kank-back and talking to a guard.. someone will backstab you and make off with all your clothes, and kank.. without the guard seeing it..
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

My worst death recently happened, I'll leave it at that.

I have it now!
I am lying in the desert with (*looking the other screen*) -6 points!

Not really funny....

Now -5 points....
Will I make it?

- 4 Points!

I sneak back from the light at the end of the tunnel...

Not to sound like a bitch, but I'll sound like one anyway, I guess..

But it's not a good idea to advertise your IC state on the GDB.

I understand you're probably bored. Might as well read a book or something while you watch your character climb back from the brink of death (or not) :)

Nope. He is dead!

F***k!

All of my deaths have sucked.  I seem to keep surviving the really cooool encounters (HRPTs and whatnot), and dying during really lame ones.

Well there was that one character... who got killed when the server went down, and got resurrected to die 3 IG days later..
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Upperjazz hits the point. Armageddon teaches you really that death is not heroic!

My last char had some real nasty fights and survived them. And then he rides simply through the desert with two comrads as a beetle appeared.
My kank (the first one which never resisted to move!) threw me from his back (Hitoints down to 50 from 112!) and the damm beetle hit me two times before I could stand up. Bingo, -10 HP!
The funny part of the story is I tried to drink some water as the beetle appeared. So I could watch my HP climb up slowly and in the same moment I died of thirst with a full waterskin in the hand (And two in the backpack)! No chance. :cry:

It is the second time that my kank killed me this way. :?

What means that? :?:
Next application will be for an elf!  8)

PS: Sorry if my English is little bit strange, but I am from Germany  :roll:

I had a fairly badass Krathi, and was practicing a certain magick.  Lets just say through extremely bad luck I ended up casting a spell at un instread of nil.  And I had done something, without thinking, an hour or so before that made this bad, bad, bad.

Mantis head.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

When some stupid bastard decided beating on me in prison would be fun. AND IN THE DARK! I screamed for the guards, wished up for the guards to be animated, threw my belt at the door, all to no avail. And so I died.

AND IF YOU'RE OUT THERE, STUPID POOP HEAD PERSON, BE WARNED THAT I'M STILL HUNTING FOR YOU!
I've been away from Zalanthas for some time, but I still think you all are kank shit. Don't worry, I'll come back and fix it up. By the way, has anyone found, like, water? This desert is getting old.

Lol, I've done that, but I'm pretty sure the guy went LD and never came back to armageddon, cuz he didn't put up a fuss.  And then a templar yelled at me.  I died shortly thereafter.

There was a bahamet ripping through the streets. Soldiers were getting slaughtered left and right and it was heading closer and closer to the heart of the city. My PC, being the brave and suave idiot he is, says that he'll take care of it and taunt the beast and lead it back out safely into the wilderness. He mounts up on his kank and meets the bahamet. Looks it in the eye and starts riding out at full speed, galloping down blocks of cities.

Then I went linkdead.

45 seconds later I'm back up. Look at the screen: mantis head. It was a damn tough break, and according to my clan imm the soldiers nearly got there in time to save me.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

LOL Carnage!!! I remember that, because my PC and his fellow PC guards watched you do it. We were like What the fuck he is doing, lets watch this.

Hehe, Anyways,  MY WORST death ever..My warrior, AWESOME stats, first time I ever had an AI. AI str, extremely good Agility, Average Wisdom, exceptional Endurance. This character was close to 40 or so days. Anyways, Ran into a group of Gith, Faught his way through them. So he decides he needs to go sift some spice from near the silt sea. To this day, I still and stupid for it.  But two gith Jump me, I decided to flee, and I drowned in the Silt sea...Shitty, but oh well.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I think my worst moment was that brief period before desert elves did not require karma.    My character had traveled most of the known world, and had outrun a mek while poisoned, passing out from the poison in front of gates of Allanak.  He survives the poison, then finds that he is out of water!  So just before he passes out a final time from thirst, he sees the sun rise and the gates open.  Mantis head.

I just read someone else' log of my last death....and now I don't think it was so stupid...It was fast (3 hits), but people RPed it awesome afterwards.  I just wish I had gotten a log from an IMM before they yelled at me....sorry folks.

Not worst but most stupid!!!

:slapes himself!

Our group entered a village. One person seemed very exhausted. So I tried to help.
Without thinking I typed: SUBDUE <person>
I used this command twice to rescue a unconscious comrad. DON'T ASK ME WHY I USED IT THIS TIME!
Anyway, the fully conscious person automatically wrestled free and I was a wanted criminal! No prob.

But have I mentioned the 5 soldiers who were standing at the same time in the room?

Well, it was very short and extreme brutal.

:weeps over the keyboard.  :cry:

Quote from: "Carnage"There was a bahamet ripping through the streets. Soldiers were getting slaughtered left and right and it was heading closer and closer to the heart of the city. My PC, being the brave and suave idiot he is, says that he'll take care of it and taunt the beast and lead it back out safely into the wilderness. He mounts up on his kank and meets the bahamet. Looks it in the eye and starts riding out at full speed, galloping down blocks of cities.

Then I went linkdead.

45 seconds later I'm back up. Look at the screen: mantis head. It was a damn tough break, and according to my clan imm the soldiers nearly got there in time to save me.
Ha!  Who's the damn fool that would let their friend run off and do that?  That was cool!

My worst one was a very experienced ranger who was moving up in his clan.  He liked to scavange things though.  One day he was down at Red Storm and saw some poor soul passed out and dying right next to the guard gate.  I thought I'd subdue the guy, drag him off somewhere and scavange his gear.  I hit subdue.  Miliseconds later one of the guards is slashing me to shreds and I die before I can blink.
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?

One time, well, it is easier if I put it like this.

110hp 190/250mv 95st
A spear flies in from the west and hits the ground!
You feel very sick!

110hp 190/250mv 95st

True story.

I died from that 'magic spear' not unlike the magic bullet. I was told that the spear actually hit me and that the message the game sent me was wrong. So I didn't get a res.

Damn halfling poison is so strong you only have to be near it to be poisoned.  :wink:
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Not my worst death, but prolly one of the dumbest.

Decided to wig out with my character and take on an NPC soldier...he kicked my tail...I fled...he subdued me...I fled and hid...got my hp back, decided "I can take this bastard", and went after him again...I didn't take the bastard, he took me. Ouch. Quick lesson in NPC soldier strength.  :D
Surrender!"
"You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept."

Worst death by virtue of lameness following awesomeness:

Just knocked over a very major noble house with a couple other fellows.  We get away perfectly clean, everything goes as planned.  Head out of town and start the last leg of the escape.

Gith appears.

No problem, my guy has probably killed 50 gith in his life, starts fighting.

Another gith.

And another.

Now things are not looking so good.  I type flee and my boy runs.

Right off the shield wall.

But that's not it!  He catches himself and is saved!  I look down.  3 gith.  3 gith presumably still above me.  I check my stamina, not good.  Check my hp, not good.  I wait, clinging to the face of the shield wall.  Finally decide it's safe and climb up it to the top.  Look around, see the gith in the distance, move a little bit the other way until totally exhausted.  At that very dang moment I get attacked by two gith and, without the stamina to flee, die.

It wouldn't have been so bad, except for the fact that he had just swung this awesome escape.  Well, anyway, I was young and stupid back then, now I know how to knock over places and not have to risk my life in the desert, so it wasn't a total loss.  Mwahahaha!

I'm going to have to give a selection here. I've had a variety of bad deaths and only ever (recently) one "good" one.

There was an elven 'Rinther burglar of mine, up and coming fellow who was working loosely for the Guild, though not yet clanned. I thought I'd logged out properly in the Folley, but had in fact left him link-dead; logged back on to find he was no more. I was later told that some human on a mission into the 'Rinth to kill elves (way to show that racial prejudice!) had attacked him in there, and of course having no coded affiliation the NPCs didn't spring to his rescue.

Then there was the dwarven warrior of mine working for a certain Merchant House who'd finally passed recruit status and made full-fledged guard. He'd been told by a very old and highly respected warrior that he was the best recruit he'd ever trained. He went in patrol in a group of about five or six. At that time, gith threw their spears in unison from a distance at one target, and that's what they did that patrol. He died instantly.

There was a magicker of mine working for a 'Nakki Noble House who'd been tasked with the assassination of a noble in his own House's estate. He did this without trouble, then went outside to take care of the noble's guards. He was assigned a couple of NPC guards to defend him, and met the dead noble's guards in the estate courtyard, serried ranks of allied guards on either side (more than a dozen). He cast an offensive spell at one of the two guards he had come to kill, and his NPC bodyguards promptly deserted him to attack them. Despite being surrounded by allies and having two NPCs supposedly guarding him, he died in two rounds.

There was another equally irritating code bug one that (as it deals with the magic system) is rather too IC to discuss, but led to the death of another elven 'Rinther who'd tightly packed more chaos, fun and mayhem into a couple of days playtime than most PCs see in ten.

Then there are the not-so-bad ones, such as losing a 12-day character to a toilet break, a halfling and the climb skill suddenly deserting him. Or another 12-day character to the sudden realisation that you can't cast while hanging on halfway up a cliff.

I have never, however, died in either an RPT or an HRPT.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Quote from: "Quirk"
Then there was the dwarven warrior of mine working for a certain Merchant House who'd finally passed recruit status and made full-fledged guard. He'd been told by a very old and highly respected warrior that he was the best recruit he'd ever trained. He went in patrol in a group of about five or six. At that time, gith threw their spears in unison from a distance at one target, and that's what they did that patrol. He died instantly.

Ha, I remember that character.  That was a pretty disappointing event.  

Those spears were so bad that they bordered on being bugs in my opinion.  I watched the absolute most kick ass warrior in the entire game who could kill my bad ass warrior in a round or two almost get killed the same way.  When what was easily one of the top three warriors on the MUD, if not the best warrior, can't defend against those spears, then no one can.  Pretty much running into one of those groups meant that someone would die unless they were an 80+ day warrior or a very bad ass magiker with some hardcore defensive spells already up.

I had that gith thing happen. About a five day warrior. About a few days away from graduating the Byn and joining up with a noble house. Acctually was a promising character. Then got hit by a gith spear(s) and died instantly.

It was some sort of delayed ambush. I failed my ride skill. Even though I never failed it in a good IC year I swear. Continued on to join the group to meet some spears head on. I just hope those gith weren't on the opposite side of the room as I entered on... As it'd be odd to throw spears through a good ten PCs just to hit the one that just entered.

Creeper isn't that sad though.
21sters Unite!

My first PC is still alive... I'll add my share when the time comes  8)

My first character, I reached 40 days playing time with him, just died.

A pretty bad ass warrior, and his death was something like...

eat (name of something that looks like food but really isn't)

PAIN PAIN PAIN!

*mantis head*

God, I feel like shit right now....... :cry:

Bummer Guest, happens to the best of us.

Anyways, I've had so many bad deaths I can't begin to describe them.

I will go ahead and put up one of my best deaths, since it has been a long enough time now.

Well, I was working for a House and my Sergeant had gone missing. I was damned loyal to him and my organization so I went in search of clues as to his wherabouts. BTW: I was an assassin who had spent some time in the Byn, eventually getting kicked out, heh, and knew how to take care of himself. We weren't in the city we were most welcome in either...

Anyway, I had heard a rumour that the last person he talked to was a certain noble. So I tracked down said nobles aide and shadowed her, then managing to get into a personal house. Seemed deserted, just two people on the couch. I didn't have the listen skill, so I just emoted stepping around a corner and lifting a hand crossbow, aiming it at one of them (codedly unarmed since it was worn on my arm). I ordered them to turn around or I would shoot. They just stood up and drew their weapons >doh<. I kept asking questions about my Sergeant and they weren't telling me anything, all of a sudden, this guard rushes in and starts to swing a sword at me. So I pull out my knives and get to cutting back. They all three charged me, so I did a jump back into the next room and threw a knife as I retreated, drew another, combat ensued some more. Eventually I was just fighting with one blade in my second hand, becuase I kept using the wrong keyword for another throwing knife I had. I kept like twelve about my person most of the time. Well, one of them retreated with serious wounds, but there was still the aide and the guard. I ran again and ducked a couple rooms away, hiding behind the couch. Did some thinking on my situation and foiled plans and stuff. So I figured my only way out was to kill them. I stepped out, threw a knife that hit someone in the neck. By this time I was at 30-40% hp and had two of the others at about the same while the guard was still fairly well off, mayby 60-70% hp. I called for them to halt their attack, that I would go peacefully. I stepped out with my weapons raised and said that I wouldn't kill them if they just opened the door. They laughed in my face and the aide ordered the guard to subdue me, he missed so I just emoted suddenly stabbing towards his side while ducking out of the way, gurgle gurgle ouch ouch, now its a level playing field and combat some more. I think I get disarmed and am back to one knife, all of my others are laying about. They get some lucky hits in and that was that, I fell over unconscious.

Thats the end of that. One of my favorite deaths.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

That's a nice one, Dan.  I've never been able to think that quickly under pressure.

I like the the one of Dan.
Cause I am a more likely a candidate for the "Darwin Award"...
Repeatedly....

Just happened ... a pity ... it looked like a good plot in the making ... dunno why it happened ... not a clue ... not even a guess. Know I won't be able to find out ...

Got cut down in the street ... one might even call it a drive-by.

If you ask me, the worst death is probably pointless and could have been easily avoidable without some OOC stupidity on the player's behalf. Or being disconnected. When no one wanted to see the character dead, and you were just about to get into some nice plotlines, and pregnant.

...such as dying with plenty of time to just leave the damn room if you had seen the bash message and realized you need to stand up before typing flee three times without effect.

Lesson learned, I made a color trigger for being sent to the ground. I'm sure my character would have had the idea of standing up before trying to leave.  :?

Finally able to add my 2 sids, cheers  :P

I had a very much loved character die through a mix of ooc stupidity and IC dumbness.

He was a noble house guard that had just received a promotion, but he was very, very greedy character and wanted to figure out a way to make more and more money. So one day he changes clothes and goes off to see if he can't get some info on how to get spice into the city.

He (nor I) really didn't know where a certain village was and was off riding north of the silt when he saw a small fortified village with a description I can only say, in retrospect, should have sent off some flag.

think: This *must* be it. Is it?....yea...has to be.

And in he goes, smiles and nods at a few guards standing there before being butchered.

ouch.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

JM, I sympathize. Although I didn't die...
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

How about...

making a little camp....forgeting you are both drunk and wielding a torch...then looking away to play with your dog for for a good 10 minutes...only to return to fighting a raptor barehanded.

Some other stupidity on my part insues....which is too IC to mention....and five minutes later....mantis head.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Three of my characters died to the same rinth npc...the EXACT same npc. heheh, although something that disturbed me once...I had actually rolled a rinth elf (theif I think, may have been a burglar or assasin though) with AI agility...he died between 2-3 hours of play.

With one of my favorite characters so far, he touched death countless times, at least 10 times he should have fallen to the mantis head but only sucumbed to accidentally hitting west once too many times (beleive it...I accidentally hit it twice instead of once, held it in for too long).   Being grabbed and searched, and killed by guards. It shocked me a little because the screen whizzed by so fast I didnt even know what happened, I had to log off and scan the text log to figure it out.   Truly a bad death, and it cut off some ongoing plots, but it was relevant to what was going on so I wasn't bothered (well, too much) about it.

The last death I had was actually a pretty good one. Codewise it bothered me because I was shadowing someone, and I was actually damn good at it...I didn't know of the existence of no-hide rooms. (Realistically they make sense, I just didnt know of the hard code ability of them)  Well lets say I walked in right behind a sergeant into a training room with about 8 or so warriors who blinked a couple times at the suspicious guy in a hooded cloak. That sucked, but the rp was pleasing, got subdued, and then plead for his life...blah blah...etc. And the pcs dragged it out long enough as if they were deciding...them bam. Sergeant says we've got target practice...it didn't last long. :)
Veteran Newbie

My OOC firend was smack talking me and when i got back on Arm all of a sudden out of no where like 4 ppl jumped me and I died before i knew what hit me. lol i was funny.
've gone to find myself, if I should return before I get back tell me to get lost.

ok  my only death to date was kinda disapointing.  Now my first char was badly planned.  I  was this totally clueless ranger who had pooly spent his n00b money and was woefully unequiped.  So he was out hunting with virtually no armor and crappy weapons.  He had no real skill except foraging and cooking.  Oddly enough he survived fairly long in places he shouldn't have, survived  attacks by Bahamet and Raptor's both.  

Well to make a long story short, there was some interesting stuff coming up and my character decidied to volunteer to be part of a force.  So there's this stuff coming up and I'm working on getting my wife to play so I have her watch as all this stuff comes down.  So it's getting exciting and about 5 minutes into the play someone notices me standing around like a fool and tells me to get in and rescue others who were in the midst of the fight. So I think ok, sure.  Now mind you the biggest thing I had killed to date was a rat.  So I rush off blindly into the fray to pull someone out, but when I get there I realize I have no clue on how to rescue someone.  So suddenly I'm the  only target in the room.  It lasted about 15 seconds, I typed flee only to see the Mantis head.

I'm staring at the screen thinking crap that was stupid and I said, "Damn I'm dead."  Then I hear my wife behind me say, "thats nice dear."   as she walked off to finish the dishes I dragged her away from

This was pretty recent, and would have never happened if I wasn't a complete idiot.  I had a decent 10 day warrior, went through the HRPT, traveled all over the world, killed just about everything up to dujats, managed to escape from violent nakki templars, etc.  One day, she ran into a pack of kryl.  A lone one ran up, got killed pretty quick, but sprayed her before it died.  It didn't do any damage, but after that I should have ran.  Anyway, I start riding a bit more and 3 walk in.  Rode around a bit, and managed to get one of them 2 rooms away from the rest.  Combat starts, it gets sliced up, then it stings her.  But no, I was still at full health.  So for the next minute or so, I got to use the think command a whole lot before it finally killed me.

Lost a RL 22 month 'rinthi criminal who'd been through some pretty wicked stuff to a bunch of NPCs in the 'rinth who jumped him and knocked him unconscious before my instantly written flee command could take effect. I always felt he had a good chance of making a fine exit - alas it wasn't to be. After all the ways he could've gone out before his final ending turned out to be a pretty ignoble affair. Think I just stared at the screen for a moment and went "Ah... bollocks."
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

After getting pulled into the plot-webs of several very shady Allanak organizations, my Rinthi spice-runner was jumped and killed... not by assassins or templars, but by a pair of random gith.

I spent 4-5 RL weeks waiting for a special app to be approved, once it did i got PKed 10 mins into playing the PC in the PC's own temple, while trying to figure out how the magick system works. Oh how i loath the current state of the newbie rez thing, naked, sid-less, coinless and in a hole bag of trouble without a gem.

(Sorry, I decided to move this post to a new topic.)

My worst death, or at least the stupidest on my part was playing a Whiran I decided to jump off the tower of whira, just sorta to get down rather than taking the stairs, and the spell that let me do that wore off half way down, and I died instantly.

I was soooo pssed at myself.  I was like What did I do that?  What was wrong with just walking down.

The only other one was I had a Rukkian who was pretty bad-ass who was PKed because I was trying to flee, (not realising that they people attacking him had closed the door) when I could have probably taken them out with a spell or two had I not paniced and tried to flee instead.

The only other one I had and escaped Mul who was trying to join the rebellion, I had made some initial contacts and then bam 4 bahamets jump him.  Didn't take long....
Vettrock

I haven't had a worst death yet, thankfully.  This is my first real character, the others I've had were insignificant.

I do remember this one death that was just sorta funny.
My character picked up some weapons (me being a noob, I had no idea what jade-emblazoned weapons meant) and went to go sell them.  After pretending that he had no idea what they were (since he didn't), the shop keeper yelled for guards.

My char gets subdued and sent to jail.  I get let out after a while, I think.  I realized later what a fool I'd been.  So I went off, skipping down an alley, and my character dies from a stalker.  Great.