learn timer?

Started by eska, June 22, 2024, 01:01:57 PM

Is there a timer for learn? We know that we can use learn for 4 different skills per week. But when does that reset?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

Quote from: eska on June 22, 2024, 01:01:57 PMIs there a timer for learn? We know that we can use learn for 4 different skills per week. But when does that reset?

https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Learn

It says once per real life week, so I assume it goes ->

timer when used + 7 days.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on June 22, 2024, 01:06:12 PM
Quote from: eska on June 22, 2024, 01:01:57 PMIs there a timer for learn? We know that we can use learn for 4 different skills per week. But when does that reset?

https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Learn

It says once per real life week, so I assume it goes ->

On discord they answered it was closer to 6.9 days so that people weren't sitting there tired AF waiting on the timer to refresh to hit their learns.

I think it's better if we can see how much time left until the next use.
Like when we type learn without a skill, it shows that when we can use the command next time and when it is up how many times left.

You think:

June 22, 2024, 07:09:24 PM #4 Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 07:18:22 PM by Dresan
Just one question: I assume if the skill is at max potential (ex. Warrior forage), learn will tell you that it cannot be increased further? Kind like the messages for weapon skills if high enough?

Or at least not be wasted on attempt?

These is a really amazing feature and I want to make sure I make the most of it.

Quote from: mansa on June 22, 2024, 01:06:12 PMIt says once per real life week, so I assume it goes ->

Yeah. It's not like "since last Thursday" or something, it's literally "have you used it (successfully) 4 times in the last 7*24 hours?" (Except, yes, it's actually 6.9 days because we don't want to push people to play later and later.)

Quote from: Dresan on June 22, 2024, 07:09:24 PMJust one question: I assume if the skill is at max potential (ex. Warrior forage), learn will tell you that it cannot be increased further? Kind like the messages for weapon skills if high enough? Or at least not be wasted on attempt?

The attempt isn't counted unless your skill level actually goes up, so it's never wasted. (Hitting a skill cap would be the usual reason it would fail to go up.)
"I wasn't afraid," said Pooh, said he,
"I'm never afraid with you."

Quote from: Ursun on June 23, 2024, 12:02:45 AMThe attempt isn't counted unless your skill level actually goes up, so it's never wasted. (Hitting a skill cap would be the usual reason it would fail to go up.)

I have to say, there have been a ton of wonderful changes to the game but learn feature is by far one of the most impactful for me.

If I remember correctly I think Halaster brought it up on discord as an skill gain idea years ago, when he was just returning to the game so it was a wonderful surprise to see it being announced as part of seasons. 

It by far resolves a lot of longstanding issues with the game, including open up a lot of viability for some more difficult roles and  a way to allow more meaningful progression as the season progresses.  Additionally it does indeed encourage me to schedule in that one logging session a week to ensure i make the most of it. Its just win-win on so many levels for the game. There is so much more potential for it too but it is excellent even as is at the moment.

Thank you for implementing this feature.   

Quote from: Ursun on June 23, 2024, 12:02:45 AMYeah. It's not like "since last Thursday" or something, it's literally "have you used it (successfully) 4 times in the last 7*24 hours?" (Except, yes, it's actually 6.9 days because we don't want to push people to play later and later.)

What's preventing this from being on a weekly reset schedule? Like say it resets in tandem with weekly maintenance or whatever. For everyone.

I can see where someone might make a character the hour before reset, use learn, and then immediately get to use it again.. but surely that evens out over time. Seems like it would remove a lot of the FOMO and feeling of obligation to log in and get your gains within the quickest window of time possible.

June 24, 2024, 03:40:39 PM #8 Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 04:02:45 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Khorm on June 24, 2024, 02:43:43 PMSeems like it would remove a lot of the FOMO and feeling of obligation to log in and get your gains within the quickest window of time possible.

Wouldn't this be similar to saying, lets remove plots and storylines from the game because it encourages people to log in as well? Additionally, like any other game or activity, someone able to dedicate more time to the game is often able to get ahead quicker already, so this is a small bonus to them.

Quote from: Dresan on June 24, 2024, 03:40:39 PM
Quote from: Khorm on June 24, 2024, 02:43:43 PMSeems like it would remove a lot of the FOMO and feeling of obligation to log in and get your gains within the quickest window of time possible.

Wouldn't this be similar to saying, lets remove plots and storylines from the game because it encourages people to log in as well?

No. No, it wouldn't be.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

In my experience in World of Warcraft:

There was a weekly event that players would do, and in doing so there was a reward given.  This reward gave players more "player power" so that they could do more damage in a fight, and in doing so they could progress through the dungeon faster.

Some players thought that event itself was a chore - they were required to do this activity in order to stay current with the other players in the game.  World of Warcraft does have a leaderboard for the top 100 guilds in the game that complete the hardest difficulty dungeons, as well as a leaderboard for PvP players in their arena.

Some players did the event a little bit, and then they stopped because they were satisfied with their experiences.

Some players did the event religiously with all of their characters and got very frustrated with the game design on the World of Warcraft forums.

This event was originally created to help players who can't play everyday to catchup and get better gear - but it was overtaken by players who focused purely on being the best - or players who wanted to be like the loud players on the forums, who wanted to achieve highest possible "damage parses".

The next expansion of World of Warcraft changed some of this dynamic:
Instead of a weekly event, where if you missed out on it you were "behind the curve", they allowed players to do the event multiple times, up until the "seasons - week" maximum. 
example:
By week 5, you should-have be able to do the event 5 times to get the reward, once per week.
If you started playing on week 5, you could do the event 5 times IN THAT WEEK and catchup to what you missed.

Now - World of Warcraft is different than ArmageddonMUD.  There's a reset of gear and progression every 8 months, so players can choose to hop on this treadmill of gear acquisition or not.  The leaderboards for the PvE events stop around month 4, and the PvP events stop at the end of month 8.  (PvP has very little gear progression, though, and quickly becomes an even playing field by month 2)

When I read the last few posts about this new code, it makes me seem like people are viewing "Learn" as a chore, similar to what happened in World of Warcraft, where players will be frustrated at the game when they can't log in and progress - in comparison to other players.

To that I say, jokingly: Perhaps there should be a weekly maximum number of skill points earned in all skills, in order to make all characters grow and skillup the same time - to reduce FOMO.
I don't think that is an answer - but the feelings of being outskilled by other players in this game is real.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

June 24, 2024, 04:59:21 PM #11 Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 06:34:08 PM by Dresan
Quote from: mansa on June 24, 2024, 04:19:59 PMI don't think that is an answer - but the feelings of being outskilled by other players in this game is real.

This is a permadeath game though and there are plenty people who aren't 'caught' up and won't ever be caught up.

After all, the moment you die, its back to the starting line not to mention stats are random and so are opportunities to train some skills. 

This is just a nice bonus to at least make some progress with the harder to train skills. One that allows character who aren't able to train or aren't completely keen on twinking their skills to become better over a long period of time. If anything I would recommend at some point adding the timer and the amount of learn opportunities to wisdom. The learn feature is really what wisdom should have been able to do from the start.

That one skill that you want to branch, but you're so good at it that you almost never fail.   Learn baby.  So great.

Quote from: Dresan on June 24, 2024, 03:40:39 PM

Wouldn't this be similar to saying, lets remove plots and storylines from the game because it encourages people to log in as well? Additionally, like any other game or activity, someone able to dedicate more time to the game is often able to get ahead quicker already, so this is a small bonus to them.

I don't think it would, no.

It's a quality of life improvement to the game and exists outside of the skill and social grind that runs adjacent to plot. I personally don't see the draw in attaching a carrot to something that seems like it's meant to alleviate obligatory grind.

Quote from: Khorm on June 24, 2024, 09:05:57 PMIt's a quality of life improvement to the game and exists outside of the skill and social grind that runs adjacent to plot. I personally don't see the draw in attaching a carrot to something that seems like it's meant to alleviate obligatory grind.

I agree with you that this is a quality of life improvement. But one I would like to see be influenced to more in-game systems such as wisdom stat. Mostly in order to allow players the choice of alleviating more of that grind through stat selection.

I just don't see this any different than just about any other system in game which rewards regular activity. Additionally, its not the end of the world if you don't log in as soon as the learn time limit resets, in the same way you aren't "behind" because you didn't log in to train your character. Since its a permadeath game, there is no race to be the best, everyone eventually dies so everyone's character is in different states of being 'good'. 

My sense of Learn after using it for the second time is—don't get too fixated on optimizing your Learns, because if your character lives for more than a few days you are quickly to going to hit the cap where you can't put Learns on skills anymore, anyway.

If you delay your Learns for a few days because you're busy and can't log in you really are not losing much at all.

Quote from: Big Red on June 25, 2024, 05:14:29 PMMy sense of Learn after using it for the second time is—don't get too fixated on optimizing your Learns, because if your character lives for more than a few days you are quickly to going to hit the cap where you can't put Learns on skills anymore, anyway.
I thought learn only had a cap on Journeyman for weapon skills specifically.

Is there a learn timer reset notification?

Unrelated: how to make Mudlet create a persistent countdown timer?

June 25, 2024, 08:00:31 PM #18 Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 10:52:09 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Dusty Boots on June 25, 2024, 05:24:56 PMI thought learn only had a cap on Journeyman for weapon skills specifically.

Mid-journey skill cap for weapon skills which is often the plateau for most people. 

This will perhaps be an unpopular idea but i wish the location weapon skill/style bonuses would be removed at this point. These are old bonuses that made sense having back when we have multiple locations open but makes less sense in the game today.

To compensate, the weapons skill learn cap could be raised to low advanced which is the level slashing skill gets to with an advanced start thanks to the location bonus. Low advanced slashing weapon has never really broken the game so I doubt it would be any different for any other weapon skill and there is still plenty of room for more improvement for those lucky enough to find opportunity.

Quote from: Dusty Boots on June 25, 2024, 05:24:56 PMI thought learn only had a cap on Journeyman for weapon skills specifically.

Oh word? Well then I didn't spend mine very wisely this week!

Quote from: Big Red on June 26, 2024, 12:17:48 AMOh word? Well then I didn't spend mine very wisely this week!

I prefer using the learn on the skills that hard to improve and weapon skills are hardest to improve. I say it was a wise choice.

You think: