Trying to find an old MUD client

Started by Pangolin, June 15, 2024, 12:19:30 PM

Hi, newbie here who used to play MUDs ages ago -- I think it's been more than 10 years at this point! I can't for the life of me remember the name of a MUD client I used to like. It was fairly minimalist, could be set to light mode (dark text on a white background) and I think it had an icon that looked like a yellow boot. Does that ring any bells for anyone?

Quote from: Pangolin on June 15, 2024, 12:19:30 PMI think it had an icon that looked like a yellow boot. Does that ring any bells for anyone?

Mushclient maybe? Tt's got a yellow lantern anyway. I've been using that for donkey's years now.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Maybe Wintin or Tintin too.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

I did used to use Wintin.  But I do think Mudlet is also really good.  Not sure if it is simplistic enough for you, but I mean.. if you don't mess with any of the fancy features, it technically is very simple.

I know Mukluk has a boot for an icon. Can't remember if it was yellow though.
It's @CalmThyPalm everywhere.

Okay so after looking around a bunch, I think I might have been using SimpleMU at the time but conflated it with MUSHclient's icon. MUSHclient feels pretty similar, so I'll probably give that a try, and maybe check out Mudlet too. Thanks everyone!

Ever used Gmud? I used it 22 years ago.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

I would also use SimpleMU as my main client but it hasn't been updated since early 2000s. Same with zMud/cMud which I used when I set up a lot of triggers, timers and alias commands. Unfortunately both are well behind. I tried MUSHclient but it also is outdated and has not been updated for years.

I have found BeipMU which is a lot like SimpleMU but it is still updated for Windows 11 and has a Discord channel for support! It has been very good so I recommend it.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on June 20, 2024, 07:16:44 PMI would also use SimpleMU as my main client but it hasn't been updated since early 2000s. Same with zMud/cMud which I used when I set up a lot of triggers, timers and alias commands. Unfortunately both are well behind. I tried MUSHclient but it also is outdated and has not been updated for years.

I am still using ZMud for over 20 years, because of all the triggers and aliases etc I have in it.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

My usual plug: if you were very familiar with zmud/cmud triggers, Tintin++ is by far the most similar. I think they had the same origins back in the early 90s or something?

Downside is there is no GUI, just commands.

I used Zmud for 20 years and recently upgraded to CmudPro.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: eska on June 20, 2024, 01:53:10 PMEver used Gmud? I used it 22 years ago.

I actually love GMud in every way...except that in Arm, when you die, it resets the entire output history and you can't look back at how you died.