Are you ready?

Started by Cowboy, May 26, 2024, 09:22:25 PM

I think I am ready.   Twenty-five characters in various degrees of completion.  Some name and short description only, some that add the long description but no background, and completed ones with a background.  I've reread all posts regarding recent changes.   Tested myself to see if I still remember the common commands. (I am a little shaky on that) Put in a karma review request.  I like playing half-giants now and then.   Asked my wife if I could play a leadership role and she said no, just like she has for the last 10 years.  But I am ready.  Real ready!
I'd rather be lucky than good.

I'm currently dying due to wanting to play like four different concepts. I'm pretty damn excited but at the same time I feel like I'm gonna miss out if I pick the wrong thing. The gemmed temples stuff seems like it could be really cool, but the stuff with Kurac with the riders is interesting and it's my favorite GMH and I've always been a Two-Moons fanboy so that's also on my list of things I wanna do.

Really kills when it feels like there's gonna be so many great options, especially with the new nobles mixup and how that should touch on things.
I make up for the tiny in-game character limit by writing walls of text here.

I only wrote one character, and they're not even that good.

I just want to get in game and do what I do best. Sit at the bar and beg staff to let me wear a "glowing, rune-marked cap" that is just a big yellow exclamation point.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on May 26, 2024, 10:14:54 PMI just want to get in game and do what I do best. Sit at the bar and beg staff to let me wear a "glowing, rune-marked cap" that is just a big yellow exclamation point.

Bonus points if you only reply with canned responses.

Ha ha ha. [Kavrick] you are so right. Now, about those scrab shells, do you have the (number_not_defined) that I asked for?

My only preparation has been requesting PTO on the 17th.  ;D I haven't pre-planned any characters for season one, beyond writing a few very brief 1-2 sentence concepts based off of random ideas that popped into my head while reading the season update newsletters. I'm looking forward to seeing which sponsored roles are available this Saturday, but mostly I'm just excited to play something I haven't tried before in a brand-new environment.
"All stories eventually come to an end." - Narci, Fable Singer

I was considering a few character concepts and eventually settled on one. I'll look at the list of sponsored roles, but I doubt that I'll apply for one, because I don't think I play enough hours per week.

I've done my karma review. Now I just need to actually write up my sdesc/ldesc/background.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: CirclelessBard on May 27, 2024, 08:39:32 AMbut mostly I'm just excited to play something I haven't tried before in a brand-new environment.
I always thought that the gameworld won't change. Will it?

Back on the topic, I have a couple fully fleshed concepts in mind. I just want to check the new documentation of the clans, to make sure which one I am going to apply for.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

Quote from: eska on May 27, 2024, 09:30:25 AM
Quote from: CirclelessBard on May 27, 2024, 08:39:32 AMbut mostly I'm just excited to play something I haven't tried before in a brand-new environment.
I always thought that the gameworld won't change. Will it?
Correct, the gameworld is the same.  There are some reasonably 'big' changes that have taken place in the 50 in-game years that have passed since the game closed, but it's still the same world.  When you log in and start playing, it's going to feel like the same game as before at first.  The changes won't be obvious, necessarily, until you start playing and doing social things.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Can we expect the same general NPC population as well? Like in places where there were gith before, there are still gith in S1? And the twitchy, slack-jawed man continues to flex his apparent immortality on the poor rinth rats?

Returning player from a long, long time ago. Super excited for the Seasons content - I have been working on my descs and my background. I know exactly what I want to play. I expect to die horribly.

Quote from: helix on May 28, 2024, 10:08:40 AMReturning player from a long, long time ago. Super excited for the Seasons content - I have been working on my descs and my background. I know exactly what I want to play. I expect to die horribly.
Good to see you back!  ;D

Nope!

Haven't submitted any karma review despite intending to, got two or three initial concepts I've thought through but haven't written out, and the opening day is actually my birthday! So while I'm excited to jump on I also have a couple other plans that weekend so my binging will follow shortly after.
Veteran Newbie

I have a couple concepts for roles I want to app. I'm looking forward to dying in dumb ways with you all again.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Roon on May 28, 2024, 08:54:39 AMCan we expect the same general NPC population as well? Like in places where there were gith before, there are still gith in S1? And the twitchy, slack-jawed man continues to flex his apparent immortality on the poor rinth rats?
This is actually a good point, would be cool if npcs would age and die rather than always having the same npcs everywhere, although I know that's a pretty big task.

Quote from: Kavrick on May 28, 2024, 02:03:12 PM
Quote from: Roon on May 28, 2024, 08:54:39 AMCan we expect the same general NPC population as well? Like in places where there were gith before, there are still gith in S1? And the twitchy, slack-jawed man continues to flex his apparent immortality on the poor rinth rats?
This is actually a good point, would be cool if npcs would age and die rather than always having the same npcs everywhere, although I know that's a pretty big task.
We have revamped hundreds of NPCs. Some of them got a lighter touch than others, but all of them are ready to go if they're in game.

I can say for Tor I've fully replaced about 30 NPCs and have another 10 or so to do once Seasons launches. Same with my other clans. Other places/clans got similar treatment. In general, we gave NPCs a heavier re-draft if they would receive attention from PCs.

Quote from: Valkyrja on May 28, 2024, 02:28:38 PM
Quote from: Kavrick on May 28, 2024, 02:03:12 PM
We have revamped hundreds of NPCs. Some of them got a lighter touch than others, but all of them are ready to go if they're in game.

I can say for Tor I've fully replaced about 30 NPCs and have another 10 or so to do once Seasons launches. Same with my other clans. Other places/clans got similar treatment. In general, we gave NPCs a heavier re-draft if they would receive attention from PCs.

I can't remember if I read it, or dreamed it, but does this include more up-to-date Discuss scripts? And regardless of the answer, has there been any thought into using Discuss scripts to start people on 'potential plot points'?

And also when can I just make sure my character's background actually fits with the game? And by that, I mean open the game so i can tell people I'm a secret last scion of House whatever

I am ready.

Spoiler, I am going to play a non human for the first time ever

Known, watch out. Ready your player complaints.

Em grunts.

Waiting patiently. Soon, my precious, soon.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Quote from: Riev on May 28, 2024, 02:52:24 PMI can't remember if I read it, or dreamed it, but does this include more up-to-date Discuss scripts? And regardless of the answer, has there been any thought into using Discuss scripts to start people on 'potential plot points'?

And also when can I just make sure my character's background actually fits with the game? And by that, I mean open the game so i can tell people I'm a secret last scion of House whatever
The Noble Houses that are available for play are posted in our updates. Being a Last Scion of House Whatever sounds like a specapp, though. It also will be handled when we're handling specapps, in the timeline that was posted in Seasons updates.

As for discuss scripts: Yes, we're fiddling with them. We are on hold for a lot of javascript-related things currently though, to make sure we fix some game crashing stuff. So we might not get around to DISCUSS scripting a lot of stuff until a month or two into Seasons. (We had started but stopped.)

I've got like 20 character concepts at the ready.

I've got an order of operations for what I'll apply for.

I've got 15 backups for if those fail. In decreasing amounts of seriousness.

I've got concepts within concepts. I've got concepts based on songs. I've got varient concepts of those concepts.

I've written close to 20k words and thrown out 19k of it because it was shite.

I have one character written up, still haven't written the background yet. It'll be fairly generic though, and brief. I can always add more in a bio add later, once the personality takes shape.  That always happens organically. Every time I try to build in a character's personality to the background it ends up changing. So I try not to do that.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I have a noble app that is no longer relevant and can't be used anymore (its probably for the best). I liked the character description but it can't be used for anything but a noble, but I don't have much interest in the listed houses because I don't know much about them.

I have another spec-app I submitted and cancelled just before shutdown, but there are things I want to see first before using it.

There's a clan I've wanted to play since starting and I've been too chicken since I want it to go well. I've flirted with it on two characters but didnt commit. Inevitably I'll die the first day.

I am hoping the rolecalls inspire me. I was really hoping for a rinthi elf clan.

Mod note: I removed a post containing possible spoilers. The list of clans we know for sure are going to be open are in this post: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,60369.msg1103145.html#msg1103145
"All stories eventually come to an end." - Narci, Fable Singer