Q&A for NEW Advanced Start Options

Started by Halaster, May 13, 2024, 11:17:39 AM

What do you mean by "if you start with it?".

Say you pick Artisan who starts with no ride skill.  You pick your subclass as Bandit who does start with ride.  With that combination, you WILL get a boost to ride.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

If a player isn't particularly savvy when it comes to understanding skill and code interactions, but has a well-articulated character concept, could they submit that and have someone on staff assist them with the skill selections, etc. for a recommended advanced start?

Quote from: Obeliskocism on May 13, 2024, 11:30:19 AMIf a player isn't particularly savvy when it comes to understanding skill and code interactions, but has a well-articulated character concept, could they submit that and have someone on staff assist them with the skill selections, etc. for a recommended advanced start?

Absolutely!  If you want, we can help you figure out a good class / subclass combo to get the most out of it.

Can I branch skills with this, or apply the boosts to a branched skill?

No, this only applies to skills on your character sheet at the moment of creation.

This is fantastic! Something I begged for while on staff. Glad to see it happen. 

Question 1: "and no clan" does that mean this can't be applied to PCs applying into an official tribe?

Question 2: do all role calls get this same boost now?

Quote from: Agent_137 on May 13, 2024, 01:58:35 PMThis is fantastic! Something I begged for while on staff. Glad to see it happen. 

Question 1: "and no clan" does that mean this can't be applied to PCs applying into an official tribe?

Question 2: do all role calls get this same boost now?

1.  I struggled with that wording, so I've changed it to no/any clan.  Yes, it can be applied to PC's applying into an official tribe.

2.  Yeah, when a rolecall is made it will get these same boosts

Awesome, I look forward to using this. Great to see mundanes getting some OOC balance with mages while retaining the IC scare factor and power disparity.  It even makes role calls more attractive, and no doubt easier on staff side. 

Quote... If you do not pick one of those, you do not start with extra gear, nor do you start as an advanced rank (unless otherwise agreed on with staff of that clan).  However, you do start with an extra 1200 coins.

Requirements:

- Character cannot be a mul, a half-giant, nor any kind of mage or psionicist.  This is for pure mundanes only.  Normal racial restrictions apply based on the organization.

So the advanced start is for mundanes only - I get that.

But does this mean that mages, muls, h-gs, and mindbenders will still start with 1200 more sids than they used to? Or, does it mean that everyone except muls, h-gs, mages, and benders will start with 1200 and those exceptions will still have to decide whether to buy armor, or a mount?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Can the 'other' skills being boosted be subclass skills that have nothing to do with the main class?
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: Lizzie on May 13, 2024, 03:30:51 PMBut does this mean that mages, muls, h-gs, and mindbenders will still start with 1200 more sids than they used to? Or, does it mean that everyone except muls, h-gs, mages, and benders will start with 1200 and those exceptions will still have to decide whether to buy armor, or a mount?
The extra money is only for the advanced start, which takes a special app.

Quote from: flurry on May 13, 2024, 03:50:43 PMCan the 'other' skills being boosted be subclass skills that have nothing to do with the main class?

Yes, you can boost any skill on your starting skill list, even if it comes from a subclass.

May 13, 2024, 04:49:39 PM #12 Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 04:51:43 PM by Lutagar
Do different classes get different starting gear if they start in the byn/militia?
Will stealth classes start with +stealth gear? Or will they get the exact same gear a guild_fighter would?
Is the starting gear supposed to be equal to 700 coins they miss out on, or is it reasonable to assume that those starting in a clan will start off somewhat more privileged?

Quote from: Lutagar on May 13, 2024, 04:49:39 PM1. Do different classes get different starting gear if they start in the byn/militia?
2. Will stealth classes start with +stealth gear? Or will they get the exact same gear a guild_fighter would?
3. Is the starting gear supposed to be equal to 700 coins they miss out on, or is it reasonable to assume that those starting in a clan will start off somewhat more privileged?

1. No, they all get the same gear.  The only thing that changes is it gives them a weapon based on the weapon skills they chose.  So if they chose slashing, they'll get a sword, and so on.  Otherwise, all the gear is the same.  There's just too many options to try to customize it more.  That's part of why they get an additional 500 coins on top of the gear and the normal starting money.
2. No, stealth classes will have the same gear
3. The starting gear for the clan options probably isn't exactly 700, it falls a bit short.  There's also consideration given that the Byn/AoD/USC starter options do start at a higher rank than normal.

For the heavy crafting classes (Fence/Artisan/Trade) it mentions that some skills will be set to master. Assuming these are still for non-branched crafting skills ... but does this mean that you would consider Custom Crafting from Hour 0 on an Advanced Start character?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on May 13, 2024, 05:32:18 PMFor the heavy crafting classes (Fence/Artisan/Trade) it mentions that some skills will be set to master. Assuming these are still for non-branched crafting skills ... but does this mean that you would consider Custom Crafting from Hour 0 on an Advanced Start character?
Yeah, for non branched.  In the case where the bonuses put the skill above branching level, it means the first time you fail the skill it will branch.

And yeah, you could custom craft from hour 0 on the advanced start if the class normally can.

Any chance of opting out of the boost to defense/offense?  ;D

Is this process fully automated during character creation, or do we still begin the process by sending in a spec-app request?
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: Dresan on May 13, 2024, 07:07:10 PMAny chance of opting out of the boost to defense/offense?  ;D

No, sorry, it's all scripted.

Quote from: lostinspace on May 13, 2024, 07:07:40 PMIs this process fully automated during character creation, or do we still begin the process by sending in a spec-app request?
Still need to send in a spec-app.  And then staff will run a script in-game to set you up pretty quickly.

Afaik pilferers have the best steal skill of all classes, they should get a boost to steal and maybe sleight of hand.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Nao on May 13, 2024, 07:17:32 PMAfaik pilferers have the best steal skill of all classes, they should get a boost to steal and maybe sleight of hand.
Those are definitely skills they could pick to have boosted from the optional skills everyone gets to boost.

May 13, 2024, 10:10:04 PM #22 Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 11:05:46 PM by Bogre
I still think it's overly weighted to heavy combat classes. The comparative boosts that Scouts/Infiltrators/Soldiers get (to say nothing of anything beneath that) is far far weaker than the top tier classes, in both importance of skill and sheer # of points added.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Will there be plans to repeal the one karma requirement for special applications?

Quote from: Riev on May 13, 2024, 05:32:18 PMFor the heavy crafting classes (Fence/Artisan/Trade) it mentions that some skills will be set to master. Assuming these are still for non-branched crafting skills ... but does this mean that you would consider Custom Crafting from Hour 0 on an Advanced Start character?

Having the skill at master is no longer a requirement of custom crafting :) So you can do hour 0 custom crafts on any PC :)

https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Custom%20Crafting
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.