Full Guild Mages

Started by Bast, April 19, 2024, 03:43:27 PM

Quote from: Lizzie on April 20, 2024, 10:06:50 PMFor magick, I don't necessarily need to know which spells I'll get when I practice firebutt. I just need to know whether I'll get spells from it, or not get any from it. And I want to know this, before I ever try practicing with it. Just like you know that there are skills that branch from steal.

Yeah I agree.  The benefit of hiding this info is that you force people to either find a mentor ICly or find one OOCly. The cost is a big waste of honest player time.  Many of us are old now. We don't have the time we had in our youth to waste.  And new players come from games with very different, and arguably better, approaches. 

Those that want to seek a IC mentor still could.  But those that don't enjoy practicing a skill in a game for nothing  can just "feel it on the wind" or something. 

When I was a storyteller and someone asked me about branching, I wasn't sure what I could even tell them.  Just animate an npc and be like "blah"? Demand a mini quest plus ritual to give a vision? Just say no?

Even if there's no change to the game itself, a clear rule in the magicker docs that's like "ask your ST for Magick info you want, and they will facilitate FOIC" then it'd  resolve the issue. 

After a couple of weeks I did check in with staff and told them something to the effect of: "I've had this spell at mon for a few weeks, and have failed it plenty, but the spell I thought would branch off of it, hasn't branched. Is something broken, or am I doing something wrong?"

The answer was - I was doing something wrong. It branched off a different spell. A couple of RL days later I got that spell I wanted from branching the correct one, which wasn't even at mon yet.

It's a LOT improved from the days before we were given the spell combos. I remember being SO insanely frustrated, writing down all the combos I could think of, after branching a new spell - only to learn that this spell required a different element completely, that wasn't the purview of my character's element. A rukkian trying "wek un drov blah blah" just was - not intuitive at all and there was no help available.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.