(remember, votes don't count) Should we lift the veil of IC/OOC secrecy?

Started by Dracul, December 06, 2023, 10:39:32 AM

Should we lift the veil (however much, comments below) on IC/OOC Secrecy?

Yes
20 (57.1%)
No
7 (20%)
Temporarily
4 (11.4%)
I don't care, I'll go on reddit.
2 (5.7%)
Other (too complex to pick above, comments below)
2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: January 05, 2024, 10:39:32 AM

At the end of a season, everything that's happened previously should be up for public discussion.

This means staff give up on building secret tye-ins between seasons...a very very Armageddon Culture thing to do, but there are so many storytelling alternatives. It's a small price to pay for the joy of everybody freely discussing their game history, something we've never been able to do licitly.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on December 06, 2023, 12:26:22 PMAt the end of a season, everything that's happened previously should be up for public discussion.

As has been so blithely pointed out, this isn't up to you. Or me. You don't have a voice in the matter, nor do I.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on December 06, 2023, 12:26:22 PMAt the end of a season, everything that's happened previously should be up for public discussion.

This means staff give up on building secret tye-ins between seasons...a very very Armageddon Culture thing to do, but there are so many storytelling alternatives. It's a small price to pay for the joy of everybody freely discussing their game history, something we've never been able to do licitly.

If the season is closed then I don't see the problem with at least a cliff notes version of what happened in the previous season that led to this.

However, I can tell you from experience, you're usually better off not knowing.

Did evil villain ultimately achieve his goal of becoming an evil deity? Could a future character pray to him and find out? No? He got offed by a kryl. That's disappointing.

Or I remember the time I had built an awesome villain and was rolling along nicely and then suddenly randomly died to a backstab. For awhile I thought, well, there was a huge bounty on me and a lot of heroes trying to stop me. Maybe one of them got lucky. Nope. I eventually found out someone just wanted my sword.

We haven't agreed on anything officially yet, but I am personally down with 'lifting the veil' between seasons. Not now though. The plots that are happening now are still important and vital for defining the world that the game will open with in the first season.

Who cares? Knock yourselves out.

I've said it before, but collaborative roleplaying thrives when everyone knows who everyone else is playing, and when there is a culture where people can bring up things that are troubling them about the game without having to "vaguebook" about it. If people aren't having fun, they should be able to say so and invite discussion.

I'm glad that the season system will allow a "session zero" of sorts between seasons but the fact that we, a group of adults engaging in a hobby, are expected to not bring up issues with the game if they veer into "too IC territory" means that people will just suffer in silence, or simply leave if they are made uncomfortable.
"All stories eventually come to an end." - Narci, Fable Singer