Shadow

Started by Tamarin, December 05, 2003, 09:56:43 AM

Just wondering if you're successfully shadowing someone, and they quit, do they get a message of "blankity-blank stops following you" as they quit?  If so, that should be fixed because its not fair.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Speaking of shadow, I've always felt that shadow should check your sneak ability for each room.  If you fail - you are revealed in the next room.

I believe that it does.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Really?  I must have missed that change.  If it already does, that's simply awesome!

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I believe that it does.

You believe that it was changed to do that very recently, or you believe it always has?

Because it hasn't checked your sneak skill per room since shadow was implemented. As far as I'm aware, no changes have been made.

The ability to shadow without making any rolls beyond the initial hide roll has always struck me as an often abused feature that could do with some fixing. Because the shadow skill seems to exist as a quick modification to the follow command, I'm not sure that anyone is willing to redesign the shadow system in the place of what we have now. Also, because the shadow ability is literally something that keeps people unseen, the issue itself is often left unseen by most players. And when you consider that the staff members watching the mortal world are seeing sneakers/hiders/shadowers as normal walkers, it's easy to imagine that this problem could be overlooked.

The people who are aware of the abusability of shadow are generally the people who abuse it the most, and so you don't have many voices speaking out against it. Especially with all the complaints about how hard it is to escape the criminal code at present. I suppose the present-day shadow ability could be someone's idea of "balancing the scales", by having a no-failure sneak and hide reward to those who pass the first hide check.

I'm 99% positive that shadow -does- check your hide skill in each room.

The details I won't go into.. but let's just say that a certain sneaky person was caught by a certain templar because the templar walked into a place that it was virtually impossible to hide in.

Hide wears off after a certain amount of time, I believe. It may have just worn off in that instance.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Yeah Delirium...

I think your wrong, and that the character revealed himself becuase he didnt mean to shadow that templar so far and had been lagged until he got to that spot. The place would have been -impossible- to follow someone into, so, the person in question typed eq, and showed themself. Heh... your a great rp'er by the way.

Also, I've shadowed people into wilderness rooms, expecting to get caught, and I was surprised when I wasnt. City hide doesnt work in the wilderness, and it if checked the hide skill I would have been revealed, and I wasn't. Those are just my observations on the matter.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: "Delirium"I'm 99% positive that shadow -does- check your hide skill in each room.

The details I won't go into.. but let's just say that a certain sneaky person was caught by a certain templar because the templar walked into a place that it was virtually impossible to hide in.

I'm 99% with you too man'g
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

In that case, I retract my statement. 8)

I'm 99% -not- sure!

And suggest that perhaps a 'sneak check' gets implimented.

Hmmm...If it does not, then I agree that it should. I once had a experience where it seemed as though it did. If this is because the hide effect wore off, then that would actually explain it. But if this is fixed, then the crim code should be fixed to allow more innovative solutions when attempting to escape the claws of justice.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

It doesn't.  And hide doesn't wear off.  Though there are certain rooms that will take you out of hiding...usually narrow corridors and the like.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger