Clan Crafting Secrets vs Copying Them - Goofy or Intentional for Playability

Started by Dracul, November 28, 2023, 12:54:20 PM

I think a part of the weaponry revamping gave them standardized  values though, based on weapon types and materials. It seems like it could possibly be automated if they're all just plug-in values at this point.

Quote from: Windstorm on November 29, 2023, 08:21:17 PMI don't understand why the simple process of making pretty self-regulated items in certain types, unless they are truly wild and unique, even requires staff labor at all. Staff have to do enough without going back and forth through a process trying to nitpick an item.

For the record, you can basically just.. make any clothing item you want on other RPI MUs, or even restyle a weapon freely without any staff interaction at all.

Is there no way it could just be mostly like, automated and then staff would have a simple review and approval process or whatever?  If even that. That's more staff work than most other places have even by  itself.

I think this could be doable. I would have to write up a proposal but I don't see why some of this work couldn't be pushed into the game code and I doubt it would be a significant amount of work.

As I understand it, loading items isn't "DIFFICULT" so much as does require review.

Ensuring the design you're writing is in theme
Checking for types and spelling errors
Conferring with other staff (as necessary) to make sure its not a duplicate with an added line
etc etc

Honestly the actual creation of an item and its values can (and should be) an easy set of steps given to staff capable of creating items. Hell, you could put it all into a spreadsheet and have it spit out the command line(s) to enter.

Having a Template Short Sword that players then basically restring would STILL require review and I personally don't think would reduce staff time in any significant manner.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

In my head, I see a web form that can be used to search for existing items, and can be used to create new items.

There would be drop-down boxes to select parameters for the object, and text boxes for the creative and unique parts, such as ldesc, mdesc, sniff desc, etc.

I can see a queue, with an approve / reject / edit button, and different permissions to allow users to approve / edit the items.

However, that's the end state.  Right now staff are using telnet and copy/paste to add new items/NPCs/rooms.  I think there is usefulness in starting to streamline the creation process.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Really, whats the harm in a staff-only google doc spreadsheet that has things you fill in, and a formula box that gives you the exact code to copy paste into the client to make the item?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.