Did you know Batmud has a steam client? (and Media Helper Idea)

Started by Fredd, November 20, 2023, 11:17:50 AM

I like to think about ways to drive up our playerbase because I love the game. and while poking around for RPG's on steam, I found.... Batmud? Really? With an average of 32 people connected to that game through the steam client?

I swear we have our own client we've messed with a few times. I know the game is a bunch of vol's doing their best. So maybe one of the playerbase who knows coding can fix up something, and work with staff?

I also remember a year and a half ago when we tried to do some advertising, and things fell apart due to a lack of a clear vision IMHO. Well. I got me some ideas.

Last time we discussed advertising a LOT of you wanted to throw money, but no effort at the problem. But I remember staff wanting people to literally make copy for them. I think there was a bit of disconnect in expectations. So I'de like to suggest a new non-staff role. Something like 'Media Helper' or something like that.

Media Helper:

-Takes donations for advertising projects (likely done through the site with staff so money can be accounted for)

-Use donations to hire people to create copy (receipts should be submitted like reports for checking)

- Use donations to advertise the game, using created copy

- Attempt to reach out to Influencers/Gaming news outlets/ ect to get some mentioning of our game, and MUD's as a whole, to their audiances. (I can think of a few that might be interested in covering a story)

- Finding new ways to get us mentioned.

-This role should be a Helper so it doesn't limit the person's ability to play the game. (ie: helpers can still play GMH and Nobles)

I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I think this is a great idea, but I think staff is gonna balk at anyone lower than producer level handling money of any kind.

If you can get past that hurdle, I think it is nothing but a positive, but staff has traditionally not been keen of players doing anything "in the name of" the game.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

It's worth noting what is and isn't allowed by the Steamworks Distribution Program. It requires adult content to be appropriately labeled and age-gated, and doesn't allow exploitation of children in any way. Considering that characters' minimum age is 16 and that there are NPC children in the game that can be assaulted or killed, those issues might pose challenges with getting the game approved on Steam or staying there long term. I do like the idea if there's an understanding the game might need to change for Steam approval.

I also like the idea of a media helper. I've noticed an increased and positive presence of the game's staff on the r/MUD subreddit where I mostly lurk. It would be nice if we had even more exposure in a coordinated way. I don't know how to handle the logistics of collecting donations and any other money for this purpose though.
"All stories eventually come to an end." - Narci, Fable Singer

Quote from: CirclelessBard on November 20, 2023, 01:04:43 PMIt's worth noting what is and isn't allowed by the Steamworks Distribution Program. It requires adult content to be appropriately labeled and age-gated, and doesn't allow exploitation of children in any way. Considering that characters' minimum age is 16 and that there are NPC children in the game that can be assaulted or killed, those issues might pose challenges with getting the game approved on Steam or staying there long term. I do like the idea if there's an understanding the game might need to change for Steam approval.

I also like the idea of a media helper. I've noticed an increased and positive presence of the game's staff on the r/MUD subreddit where I mostly lurk. It would be nice if we had even more exposure in a coordinated way. I don't know how to handle the logistics of collecting donations and any other money for this purpose though.

Honestly, after thinking about it, our game doesn't fit steam. But the Media Helper idea is solid i think.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: CirclelessBard on November 20, 2023, 01:04:43 PMI also like the idea of a media helper.

One can always join the publicity committee and then there would be more than just me banging on about MSSP.

We discuss things like the Reddit post Usiku made.

Edit to add: being able to like GDB posts and @ people is also thanks to the publicity committee.  Halaster tried to stop it but was outvoted :D

Quote from: MarshallDFX on November 20, 2023, 01:29:38 PM
Quote from: CirclelessBard on November 20, 2023, 01:04:43 PMI also like the idea of a media helper.

One can always join the publicity committee and then there would be more than just me banging on about MSSP.

We discuss things like the Reddit post Usiku made.

Edit to add: being able to like GDB posts and @ people is also thanks to the publicity committee.  Halaster tried to stop it but was outvoted :D

what all does the comittee do? I remember when it was made it was mostly asked to make copy, and I have 0 meme skills.

It's not very active, I think it is what you make of it. Just a group of people who post about ways to advertise arm occasionally. We've talked about which parts of the forum should be open to the public, editing advertising posts, finding websites we should get ourselves listed on, etc. Ideas forum.

Quote from: Miradus on November 20, 2023, 03:29:39 PMIs voting every day not a thing anymore?

There's really nowhere to vote. The big 2 (TMS and TMC) are defunct.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on November 20, 2023, 03:59:32 PM
Quote from: Miradus on November 20, 2023, 03:29:39 PMIs voting every day not a thing anymore?

There's really nowhere to vote. The big 2 (TMS and TMC) are defunct.

In theory, there is mudverse and Game Scry but I don't think there is much adoption, so the lists aren't that valuable.  Most of the mud listings are MSSP based now, hence my campaign.

A number of the higher population muds as shown by MUD MSSP Stats have an icon on Mudlet at least, not sure about other MUD clients.  Simple and effective, if you qualify.

Quote from: Brokkr on November 20, 2023, 07:36:30 PMA number of the higher population muds as shown by MUD MSSP Stats have an icon on Mudlet at least, not sure about other MUD clients.  Simple and effective, if you qualify.

I remember bringing this up before. Halaster said they require a newbie area, and so we dont qualify, or something like that.

Quote from: Fredd on November 20, 2023, 07:39:39 PM
Quote from: Brokkr on November 20, 2023, 07:36:30 PMA number of the higher population muds as shown by MUD MSSP Stats have an icon on Mudlet at least, not sure about other MUD clients.  Simple and effective, if you qualify.

I remember bringing this up before. Halaster said they require a newbie area, and so we dont qualify, or something like that.
We have a newbie area, Tuluk.

"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

This game will get decimated in the reviews if it goes to steam, lmao

Quote from: Lotion on November 21, 2023, 12:45:53 AMThis game will get decimated in the reviews if it goes to steam, lmao

I was more worried about ooc info sharing in the discussions area. I don't think the reviews would be as bad as you say. As far as the existing MUDS go, We are about the last place where having rl money doesn't get you extra perks in game.

But it does point out that other games are trying things. We SHOULD try some stuff too.

We need to support another protocol, GMCP, have a newbie area, and a basic provided map at least

Quote from: MarshallDFX on November 21, 2023, 01:03:48 PM

We need to support another protocol, GMCP, have a newbie area, and a basic provided map at least

Thank you.