How about a Mundane Karma Advancement Track?

Started by RheaGhe, November 16, 2023, 06:18:52 PM

Quote from: Lizzie on November 23, 2023, 03:51:10 PMYeah you know Pariah is right (go ahead and shoot me now).

YOU know these are probably mages. Your character knows no such thing. Play your character. If you want things to be interesting FOR YOUR MUNDANE character (which was what I responded to, and quoted)...
Then play an interesting mundane character.

Pariah missed the point entirely.

My point was not that everyone is a secret witch.

My point is, that there is nothing you can argue a mundane can do, that a magicker can't do better.

Quote from: RheaGhe on November 23, 2023, 05:38:15 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on November 23, 2023, 03:51:10 PMYeah you know Pariah is right (go ahead and shoot me now).

YOU know these are probably mages. Your character knows no such thing. Play your character. If you want things to be interesting FOR YOUR MUNDANE character (which was what I responded to, and quoted)...
Then play an interesting mundane character.

Pariah missed the point entirely.

My point was not that everyone is a secret witch.

My point is, that there is nothing you can argue a mundane can do, that a magicker can't do better.
I understood what you were getting at.

But you can't plug a dam with your finger.

That's just one of the things that's part of nature in this game.  Witches will always be better at certain things.

I wholeheartedly WISH that someday they go back to all full guild witches for perspective Karma levels and make subguilds spec apps, so that less people use them as instant win roles.

They already started with the drov and viv classes, hopefully it continues.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Eh, people not understanding theme aside (Magick is scary, bad, and evil, but you also, ICly, know next to nothing about it) - mundanes are supposed to be the ones with groups against magickers who are more isolated.  That not always being true is just people rping badly, and should probably be monitored/commented on by staff. 

But it absolutely, hands down, doesn't mean that this thread where OP asks for +5 to strength or whatever just for being mundane is reasonable.  This thread has been mostly reasonable people who point out the docs, theme, world, and vibes all say magickers are outsiders.  And then the few people who prefer mundane roles and really, really want buffs.  The latter need to reassess why they play the role playing intensive game.  If it's just to be the strongest and bestest then Aardwolf might be more to their liking.  Karma isn't 'buffs' it's trust with roles that show greater understanding of the world, and staff trust that you'll play it properly because you do understand it.

Frankly, anyone asking for buffs for being mundane should get knocked right on down to 0, because it shows a clear and complete misunderstanding of the most basic theme and lore helpfiles.

But that's just me, and I'm frankly a bit exhausted of the 'give me +5 strength and fast-skill combat!' types who make the game less interesting.
By the time you do what it takes to be a hero, you no longer want to be one.

November 26, 2023, 05:09:19 PM #53 Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 05:48:59 PM by mansa
Quote from: Coda on November 26, 2023, 04:19:12 PMEh, people not understanding theme aside (Magick is scary, bad, and evil, but you also, ICly, know next to nothing about it) - mundanes are supposed to be the ones with groups against magickers who are more isolated.  That not always being true is just people rping badly, and should probably be monitored/commented on by staff. 

But it absolutely, hands down, doesn't mean that this thread where OP asks for +5 to strength or whatever just for being mundane is reasonable.  This thread has been mostly reasonable people who point out the docs, theme, world, and vibes all say magickers are outsiders.  And then the few people who prefer mundane roles and really, really want buffs.  The latter need to reassess why they play the role playing intensive game.  If it's just to be the strongest and bestest then Aardwolf might be more to their liking.  Karma isn't 'buffs' it's trust with roles that show greater understanding of the world, and staff trust that you'll play it properly because you do understand it.

Frankly, anyone asking for buffs for being mundane should get knocked right on down to 0, because it shows a clear and complete misunderstanding of the most basic theme and lore helpfiles.

But that's just me, and I'm frankly a bit exhausted of the 'give me +5 strength and fast-skill combat!' types who make the game less interesting.

There are entire factions setup on the fringes which explicitly allow mundane to mix with magick. Either openly in the case of certain tribals. Or unopenly in the case of certain other groups.

There are explicitly factions within the cities, and positions that place magickers in groups with Mundanes.

The docs say magickers are outsiders, and to be feared. But they don't exclusively say that.

[Edited by Moderator]

The most ANYONE has suggested, is +1 to each stat. And that was me. AND I ADMITTED IT WAS DUMB... On page 1 or possibly the start of page 2. And said it was mostly just to get conversations started on just what karma could provide as a lever to allow players who might not care for magick or all the high tier races, to have an incentive to be used as a lever to care about Karma.

Which is a gap in the system as I saw it.

Quote from: mansa on November 16, 2023, 08:58:54 PMI would like to have non-player power associated with a karma ladder, rather than stronger characters.

Stuff like:
Additional Custom Craft per month (must be non-unique, non-clan)

Access to suggest-edit helpfiles (with approval required for change)
Armageddon.org email address.

I love this idea. Idk about the email address, though, unless that would help facilitate approval from staff for the aforementioned things or others so as not to get lost in the sauce.
With a dip of her head, the half-elf girl says to the short-ass dwarf, in  sirihish:
     "Yeah, okay. Well, thanks for the meat.

His head bobbing, the short-ass dwarf says to the half-elf girl, in sirihish:
      "Thas what she said."

November 26, 2023, 08:54:20 PM #55 Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 11:23:47 PM by mansa
Don't post snide comments about moderation in the threads.  Those posts will just be moved to moderation.

This thread will be unlocked in a bit.

::edit::
Unlocked
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one