Smashing into a door

Started by Ghost, December 04, 2003, 01:43:03 PM

What happens when you need to open a locked door, and you actually dont have the proper key and you are not enough burglar to pick the lock.  Does  the code support breaking the door with a strong blow?
some of my posts are serious stuff

Carnage outlined something like that here.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Basically wish up about it. You might want to look (direction of door) first to see what the door's like. If it's a new, thick door you're screwed. If it's a flimsy door out of a hovel you should be able to take it out.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Or if you look and it says there's a door in that direction with no other description - what the fuck are you supposed to do? I usually just make something up, but then another person may make something else up and now we have two different doors in the same place - like a parallel universe.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

I think this should be possible, but very risky.

If you try breaking down a door, its going to draw -alot- of attention, a hell of alot more than picking the lock quietly.  So, if you try breaking in to a house, or any door within a criminal coded area should result in an immediate arrest, and I'd say, imprisonment until a Templar comes and interrogates you to decide what to do with you.  Keep in mind, success or failure, you get arrested because you caused so much racket.

If you can talk your way out of that cell, and you'd better have damned good reasons or quite a bit of sids for a bribe then its cool.  But if your just trying to rob a house blatantly and the Templar knows it, its gonna be a bad bad day for you.

As for smashing the doors open, I'd say it should be a function of strength, size/weight and the kick and/or bash command.

Function of kick or bash... Heheh. Thats great. I for one couldn't hurt someone with a kick, or probably bash them to the ground decently... But even I can kick in a fairly well made door with just a try or three.

I'm sure some martial art people although they could probably fuck someone up easiely with a kick to the head they may not have the weight or strength to kick in a door.

Maybe, bash... But I could see most the time bashing down a person is going to be way different then busting down a door...

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"Function of kick or bash... Heheh. Thats great. I for one couldn't hurt someone with a kick, or probably bash them to the ground decently... But even I can kick in a fairly well made door with just a try or three.

I'm sure some martial art people although they could probably fuck someone up easiely with a kick to the head they may not have the weight or strength to kick in a door.

Maybe, bash... But I could see most the time bashing down a person is going to be way different then busting down a door...

Creeper

Thats why I said a function of kick/bash and appropriate stats.  It makes sense from a realism perspective, as someone who trains kicking and bashing regularly is going to be able to exert more force the someone who doesn't.  It also makes sense from a character class and subclass standpoint.  A thug subguild should have a bonus to door bashing in my opinion, this bonus can come from their kick skill.  The same is true for a warrior and all the other classes that get kick or bash as a combat manuver.  However, all skills aside, most half-giants or a mul should have almost no difficulty bashing through anything but the most sturdy of doors which is where stats come into play.

If you want a door bashed in, wish up.  I would much rather see the imms take care of the rare door bash instead of having it in game.  There are two good reasons for this.  First, putting it in game means recoding all the doors in the game.  The game needs to realize that you can't bash down the gates of Allanak but can bash down a grass tarp.  This means all the doors in the game would need some sort of strength value.  Second, if an imm has to bash open doors for you, then I imagine you are probably not going to be able to abuse it.

..you forgot "and rangers won't get it."

Shrug, whatever.  Don't think a doorbash skill would get that much use, but who knows; neat idea, would be nice if code supported.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]