Improving Language!

Started by LindseyBalboa, September 20, 2023, 08:33:18 PM

There is code to allow players to select words/characters to be ignored by language code.

Suggestion:*

(* the entire suggestion is assumed to exist within the confines of the rules of the game)

At every increasing skill tier of a language a player can pick a list or then add to a list of words they have been taught.

They will always say these words correctly and hear them correctly.

ex. when PC first pops a language skill at novice they can "addword language word."
They can do this 3 times in this example, picking out 3 words they know.
These can be any words. Useless, useful, swear words, etc.

check the list with "addword language list."

ex. 2 when a PC raises their new language skill to apprentice they can add to the addword list.
For this example let's say they can add 5 words.
They'll have a total of eight words they'll know.
They will always say this word correctly and always hear it.

I think this will be more reflective of how learning a language works, but also more engaging for roleplay.

A raider PC might only know how to say, "Loot," "Death," and "Durritshit." But that scene will become a lot more engaging now because of that.

A tribal in the city. An elf around humans. A GMH Agent out in the desert surrounded by figures they can't quite see.

A few words add a lot of flavor and depth to the scene even if all the GMH agent knows how to say in Bendune is "fuck," "ass," and "spice."
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

I like that over the way that the language works now. I like that they tried to make something with the parser to capture something similar, but all the syntax and stuff required makes it such a pain I don't know if I've ever seen someone use it as intended. The above I feel like might get used more, and I feel like definitely is a bit simpler, and I like that it's got the room to be sorta custom for each pc to choose what their words are (to go with the RP of lessons maybe?).

I like this idea.

While it seems complex. I totally dig it. I think with the code we can hack our way around it (for proper words like name, I forget the syntax though), and even at present I would support that.
Veteran Newbie