Drawing the short straw

Started by perfecto, August 15, 2023, 08:38:30 PM

Surely there are ways to change the stat systems so that the bizarre differentials are reduced?

Why can't we just have a stat array with 2d6 bonus stats that are randomly applied? It's simple, choose your array. Very good strength, average wisdom etc. And then roll the bones to see what gets bumped.

That way we stop getting characters that cartoonishly over and under powered and we still preserve that fun popcorn randomness some people seem to like.

Hell give higher karma players 3d6 to roll as a starter option.

The stats in ArmageddonMUD are generated on a few things:
* Class
* Subclass
* Race
* Randomness

In my opinion, the affect of choosing a lower Age has too much impact. The penalties applied to endurance and strength should be reduced by 50% for those choosing lower aged characters.

I think changing the lower end of the aging brackets would be an easier change that would apply the desired impact than recoding how to present character stats to players.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yeah, I think it's been said by a good few people. The random nature of stats really isn't the worst part, it's the massive range that you can get that's the bad part. I think it's kinda exaggerated by the fact we only have four stats, even in DnD you have six stats, which gives you a higher chance of rolling good stats for stats you need. On top of that, DnD has 'dump stats', where certain stats are fine to be low in, like a wizard really doesn't do anything with charisma and a fighter does nothing with wisdom. Compare this to arm, where unless you're playing a full crafter, every single stat is important to your character.

Quote from: mansa on September 05, 2023, 12:55:11 PMThe stats in ArmageddonMUD are generated on a few things:
* Class
* Subclass
* Race
* Randomness

In my opinion, the affect of choosing a lower Age has too much impact. The penalties applied to endurance and strength should be reduced by 50% for those choosing lower aged characters.

I think changing the lower end of the aging brackets would be an easier change that would apply the desired impact than recoding how to present character stats to players.

I also agree with the whole age thing, it also feels unnatural to play an older character who's also only just starting off skill-wise. It's a little hard to be immersed in my 32 year old hunter who can't hunt worth a damn.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

A little late to the party but one of the things Apoc mud later did was have stat minimums and it made things a lot less shitty to not roll BA's and Poors. It never felt like 'Oh I rolled average time to suicide' either, or at least it didn't to me.

Did it fix the issue entirely? Not really. But you wouldn't be worthless.

I think there should be a bit of padding so you can actually do your 'job'.

Maybe do away with stat prioritizing for minimum competence insurance. I dunno.

I get the impression most people will just suicide if they have irredeemably dogshit stats anyway.

As long as I've been playing this game..let's see. Yeah, getting shitty stats sucked, but unless completely horrible, I dealt with it. Even had some great roles evolve from low statted characters. Its much better now in regards to the all low crap stats. And, I love the randomness of it. I wouldnt want that to change. The chance to get something awesome at chargen, or something average. It is the way it should be.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean