Forearms

Started by Vositus, December 03, 2003, 01:58:22 AM

Please tell me if this has been brought up before, and the appropriate links. I think I've brought it up before, but I just wanted to get everyones... views on it.

Is it just me or does it seem silly that people are wearing -a- (singular)crossbow on their forearm-s- (plural)...

Would it be dificult to add another forearm location to 'wear'?

Pros::
    Improved flow with the game. No more single wristsheaths on both forearms... it looks funny.

Cons::
    Power gaming. I could see people troting around with four wrist-razors on...[/list]
    Prove a n00bie wrong please. I need to be reassured that I'm an idiot.

I personally would love to see all limbs get seperated.  Nothing would be cooler in my mind then being a true patchwork mercenary down to have missmatched boots.  I think it would fit in the world nicely, as I imagine most people are poor and tend to collect their armor a single piece at a time.  Of course, the two obvious problems would be recoding all items, items that take up more then one limb (this already is a problem), and the terrible equipment spam.

Of course it is somewhat unrealistic. That said, if we were to bring realism into it, we should kill some of the tattoo locations as well, because you can't have a blue ring on both hands at once. I do like the idea you pose, and perhaps we can also add the ability to have tattoos on either arm, either forearm, either leg, and either foot.
    Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
    >craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've long been a fan of the 'patchwork mercenary' idea. A fond hope, but probably one that won't get realized. Sigh.

What I am honestly curious about is, though.. how the heck do you wear a crossbow on your forearm anyway? Wouldn't that get in the way something awful, to have this big bulky wooden thing hanging off your arm?

Regarding dressing spam---

What if there was a simple command named undress with the following add-on options: upper body/lower body? Undress by itself would remove all your gear and simply echo "The bald man removes all of his clothing." Undress upper body/undress lower body might echo "The bald man removes some of his clothing, revealing his chest/legs."

Also, I am a advocate of the realistic dressing system, and while one might assume that it would be difficult to implement, I actually doubt that it would be. Shoes and such would have to be rewritten to match the fact that they are only one shoe, but I think that the actual addition would be simple.

On that note, remove gloves would still remove both gloves, but remove glove would only remove one.

Quote from: "Delirium"What I am honestly curious about is, though.. how the heck do you wear a crossbow on your forearm anyway? Wouldn't that get in the way something awful, to have this big bulky wooden thing hanging off your arm?

The only crossbow I know of that can be worn on the forearms is a very small one.  Probably no more bulky than any of the sheathes that can be worn on the forearms.  And I don't have a problem with it appearing to be in two locations because I can imaginify it only being on one arm.  And looking koooool.

I only wish I could buy one.

Can they actually be fired when worn, or do you still have to take them off and wield them, as per the helpfiles for crossbows? And no, I don't think I want to be spending tons of sids just to try it IC, whether an OOC mechanism is supported or not.

You must take them off and wield them, as per the helpfiles. Also, the crossbow is folded when worn upon the forearms, the arms swinging down against the stock, so that it becomes little more than a thick, three-pieced stick with a few hinges and a bowstring.

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Shoes and such would have to be rewritten to match the fact that they are only one shoe, but I think that the actual addition would be simple.

If someone volunteers to write over 1000 new shoe descriptions, this would be plausable.

Unfortunetely this kind of change isn't as easy to do as it sounds, just given the sheer size of the object database.  It would take months of going through objects.  However I agree it would be cool.  There are just a lot of other cool things we can do that would not take this much effort, like having wear locations and tattoo locations hide each other differently.

Anyway, I don't want to be a downer but I want folks to have a realistic idea of how hard changes that involve updating the entire object database would be.

E-Mail me the descriptions of every shoe and glove in the game and I will rewrite them all to say one. If you think I'm playing, try me.

What I said in my post above was meant to portray the difficulty in such a project, not promise that if a player wanted to put this effort that it would happen.  However, feel free to email mud@armageddon.org if it's a serious proposition.  A staff member would need to work with you and all of the objects would have to be approved, but if you're being serious, then go ahead and bring it up.

There is also the issue of if we decide we really want the wear locations split up, which is not something that has been discussed to my knowledge.

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"E-Mail me the descriptions of every shoe and glove in the game and I will rewrite them all to say one. If you think I'm playing, try me.

That would have to be one hell of a determined dwarf.

Change objective ... Find every shoe in the known world! Preferable the left.   :P
    Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
    Don't enter the Labyrinth.
    They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

Heh.

I'd help you.. sounds really good..
    (Doo du doo)
    I can see now that I wear one ultru low-cut left boots and one thigh high right boot.
    I love it :)
    I can help you.. :twisted:
    gloves- one green gloves and a fingerless glove.
    Let's do it!
    l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

You guys rock.
    ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
    Stains the white radiance of eternity.
     --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Oh my -werd-.

This is turning out well!
    Initially, my head began to swell because people were agreeing with me that it is somewhat funny looking.  Anyway, my thanks go to Venomz and sacac.  Weather it goes through or not, I still apprecieate the thought because I certainly don't have the patients for this.

(Falls back in thier chair) We doin' this thang or whu?
    l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.