Lets talk about... Art?

Started by Kavrick, August 06, 2023, 10:11:24 AM

So I wanted to make this thread with the simple topic of character art. I love character art, it's super cool to see characters that you've interacted with be brought to life like that. But right now, there's a one year timer on posting character art. I get wanting to not out players as belonging to certain characters, and that's cool but- You're allowed to share who you play on your clan forum, which does rip the veil a little. But alternatively, I think it would be nice if there was a simple way to post character art as anonymous, I don't see the downsides to it, you couldn't link the character to the player this way and it would be awesome to see the current characters in arm with a proper rendition.

I was thinking either just a forum thread that hides all usernames from it, or perhaps an option in the request tool to have a staff member post your character art for you? What do people think?
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

That would be pretty sick.
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

If the art doesn't reveal anything hidden about your character (like, someone who isn't manifested posting art of them holding a fireball), I don't see why art can't be posted to begin with - but this solves all the problems lingering. Anonymous, nameless art being posted by someone who isn't the player, arbited as to avoid spoilers... The only people who would know who the character is is people who, well, already know who the character is. And they don't get any OOC info from it, if art is ensured to not have anything hidden.

PLEASE consider doing this, mods. Please. I genuinely believe this would breathe new life into the game, as a lot of people nowadays like to have representations of who they play.

Just... make sure it's actually *art* being posted and not AI stuff (i.e. credit the artist in the posts, but not the commissioner), I think that would be too divisive.
Lizard time.

Quote from: MatisseOrOtherwise on August 06, 2023, 11:35:58 AMPLEASE consider doing this, mods. Please. I genuinely believe this would breathe new life into the game, as a lot of people nowadays like to have representations of who they play.

To chip in:

I'd like to see this. It would be cool, but it would fall under staff purview, as the rule about not sharing IC info (and as a result, character art), is a game rule, not a player mod rule :)

I think Staff, ideally the clan staffer of the PC the art is about, should be the arbiter of this. It can be small things. Maybe you think your PC is obviously a guilder/krathi/crimson winder, but someone doesn't know this. Posting art with the gear/tattoos/markings will then reveal stuff that might otherwise be revealed in game. So after staff vetting, I'm all for it :)
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Message me your art and then I will post it for you but not tell anyone.

Quote from: Lotion on August 06, 2023, 12:15:22 PMMessage me your art and then I will post it for you but not tell anyone.

Nope.

Alas, this would be a staff policy not a mod policy.

This has been a long term lobby of mine.  Non secret revealing artwork posted anonymously, I believe would be big net positive.

I think there is some concern about being targeted or something? But honestly I'm not sure what the trouble is.

Ten years ago:

To help keep things streamlined and on track please keep the following rules online:

- Post character portraits for your own characters only
- Do not post character portraits of any PC that is still alive in game
- Do not post character portraits for any PC that was in game within the last year

I have to assume this is more of a "if you post a picture of Riev's PC, its going to spark debate or discussion of the PC". Which you don't want to do to someone still alive, and may lead to ongoing plots, etc etc.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on August 07, 2023, 10:57:16 AMTen years ago:

To help keep things streamlined and on track please keep the following rules online:

- Post character portraits for your own characters only
- Do not post character portraits of any PC that is still alive in game
- Do not post character portraits for any PC that was in game within the last year

I have to assume this is more of a "if you post a picture of Riev's PC, its going to spark debate or discussion of the PC". Which you don't want to do to someone still alive, and may lead to ongoing plots, etc etc.
I don't really understand the rule of not posting alive characters. If a character is attempting to hide the fact they're alive, they probably wouldn't post in the first place. If you just make a thread that doesn't show usernames and only allows for posting images, then debate can't happen. I've seen muds with a tighter grip on communication allow for art of characters who are still alive so it's a little confusing for me.

Because it will inevitably lead to "I love that guys roleplay!" and "But what about that one time he" and "You know, he did this thing once..."

We have a rule to not talk about currently living characters AT ALL so that we aren't slamming on people's fun.

You might be able to handle it. I might be able to handle it. Someone else can't, and will start posting about how they 'hated to interact with Kavrick's PC'. While you're still playing it.

Could we just make a thread that's just character art and no discussion, and any discussion or commentary is moderated out?

I've seen character art threads on another game that's even stricter on OOC communication than this one is, and it worked fine.

Quote from: Riev on August 07, 2023, 01:15:11 PMBecause it will inevitably lead to "I love that guys roleplay!" and "But what about that one time he" and "You know, he did this thing once..."

We have a rule to not talk about currently living characters AT ALL so that we aren't slamming on people's fun.

You might be able to handle it. I might be able to handle it. Someone else can't, and will start posting about how they 'hated to interact with Kavrick's PC'. While you're still playing it.

I mean, I don't see how posting art will prevent or cause that to occur. The ban on talking about in game events and people still exists. And whether or not art can be posted won't change that.

Because you're not linking the fact that I just put up a picture of your Previous PC to the fact that now people here and on the Discord are going to want to talk about it.

Its not inherently bad, its a preventative measure. Don't want people talking about a currently living character? Don't post about them, not even in pictures.

Quote from: Riev on August 07, 2023, 04:50:46 PMBecause you're not linking the fact that I just put up a picture of your Previous PC to the fact that now people here and on the Discord are going to want to talk about it.

Its not inherently bad, its a preventative measure. Don't want people talking about a currently living character? Don't post about them, not even in pictures.

I just feel like that's a rather extreme conclusion. By that, anything related to any character will push them to talk about characters. Talk about the arm? Well you're gonna talk about arm characters. Talk about tuluk? Gonna talk about tuluki characters. I feel like letting people post art of their character's isn't particularly that sort of minefield.

Quote from: Riev on August 07, 2023, 04:50:46 PMBecause you're not linking the fact that I just put up a picture of your Previous PC to the fact that now people here and on the Discord are going to want to talk about it.

This is a good point
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

Quote from: Kavrick on August 07, 2023, 05:45:09 PM

I just feel like that's a rather extreme conclusion. By that, anything related to any character will push them to talk about characters. Talk about the arm? Well you're gonna talk about arm characters. Talk about tuluk? Gonna talk about tuluki characters. I feel like letting people post art of their character's isn't particularly that sort of minefield.

No, your premise is flawed. We're talking specifically about player character art, not clans. Talking about the Arm brings up the Arm, and frankly? It will cause people to start talking about some Arm thing they disliked that happened 6 months ago.

I get it man. And I wish things were different. I'm trying to explain to you why the rules are there, not telling you you're wrong.