Re: Violins and modern instruments

Started by Down Under, July 26, 2023, 11:29:32 AM

July 26, 2023, 11:29:32 AM Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 11:42:15 AM by Down Under
Yo —

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kithara

Because violins didn't exist in their modern European form back in Nero's day. So "fiddle" is a modern euphemism as a Kithara is very foreign to a more modern audience.

Violin like instruments have existed for quite a while in other continents. The musical encyclopedia of instruments is a great reference. It may help players and Staff not operate on assumptions or emotions on which instruments may or may not be appropriate to the setting When compared with cultures/timelines in our virtual reality setting. 

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-illustrated-encyclopedia-of-musical-instruments-from-all-eras-and-regions-of-the-world/1671180/item/36724371/

Cheers!

Edit:

As to my opinion, I think whatever floats peoples boats at this point. I'd personally play a Bard that plays the Kora or Oud or Saz because they're way cooler than guitars or violins for me, but I also have personal experience with what they look like, how they sound, and how to best represent them via text description. I totally sympathize with that being difficult for people who just look at an image of an instrument.

"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

July 26, 2023, 11:59:14 PM #1 Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 12:01:07 AM by LindseyBalboa
well... yeah the last 1/3 of my post is:

"-instruments need to be recognizable to be imagined and this is a text-based game, so having known instruments benefits roleplay
example: "Nero fiddles while Rome burns." Evocative, imaginative statement.
         "Nero cithararizes while Rome burns." Confusing, what the fuck is a cithara."

to be more clear i was unsure how there's an argument that instruments from the viola family are anachronistic when there are European crossbows, katana, wooden locks that can't be opened without an actual key...

whole heartedly support you playing any instruments you want - doesn't seem like the place (to me) to say something doesn't belong when the game has longswords, recurve bows, katana, and yataghan in the same weapon store.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts