Who c

Started by Rogerthat, June 12, 2023, 03:57:00 PM

I don't understand why clans don't have this implemented, in my opinion having WHO C in all clans would be beneficially for players to find others who are online to roleplay with. There is ways to hide around who c such as barrier if you really don't want to be known of being 'around'. What do you guys think? And why?
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

Quote from: Rogerthat on June 12, 2023, 03:57:00 PM
I don't understand why clans don't have this implemented, in my opinion having WHO C in all clans would be beneficially for players to find others who are online to roleplay with. There is ways to hide around who c such as barrier if you really don't want to be known of being 'around'. What do you guys think? And why?
Concur.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

You'd need a way to switch "active" clans for people with more than one, but I think this is reasonable. Plus you can likely meet everyone in your clan and region within a single RL week. Or using the GDB.

For the Guild, or clans with membership that's not that open, I agree it shouldn't happen.
For the Byn/GMH/AoD/Legion?

I don't see the added roleplay experience to do

contact amos
contact talia
contact malik
contact samos

Over
Who c byn

contact malik

If someone can make me understand why, that'd be great.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

June 12, 2023, 06:21:09 PM #4 Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 06:36:40 PM by Kaathe
IMO keeping it to tribals makes sense because tribals are much more immune to the abuse of who c than non-tribal clans (because of tribal bonds and general lack of hiring/firing/punishing), and much higher in need of connecting due to small size and isolation. It's also a pure OOC tool that leaders would use to make IC decisions based on the output. I don't love that.  Staff opinion varies a bit of course, but there is a consistent policy in place that's been there awhile. 

The added role play experience is stuff like you could break a barrier you'd never have tried if you had who c. At the same time you can who c with no lag making it easy to see who is dodging duties even if you're busy.

Quote from: zealus on June 12, 2023, 05:01:21 PM
For the Guild, or clans with membership that's not that open, I agree it shouldn't happen.

contact amos
contact talia
contact malik
contact samos

Over
Who c byn

contact malik

Barrier can defeat contact. Barrier cant defeat who c, and sometimes you don't want to be known even by your own boss.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 12, 2023, 08:47:34 PM
Quote from: zealus on June 12, 2023, 05:01:21 PM

contact amos
contact talia
contact malik
contact samos

Over
Who c byn

contact malik

Barrier can defeat contact. Barrier cant defeat who c, and sometimes you don't want to be known even by your own boss.

Acshually...
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Barrier hides you from who c, which I think is why it was scrapped from clans as it use to be. But so many people just shielded up that there wasn't much point in it.

I do think it would be a good thing to bring back for all clans, not just for the clan leader though, but, for everyone in the clan over recruotment year, like, comes with the 'full member of clan'. So that people can see the new boots and see if they need help doing whatever.

I'd like some more OOC tools to find interaction. It'd give more reasons to be clanned as well as prevent the endless contact scroll. That's especially annoying when you're in a clan that has PCs in different locations of the Known or just Allanak.  If there are particular clans where it'd be problematic then just don't give it to those clans.

I think only officers need who c.

Quote from: Kaathe on June 12, 2023, 06:21:09 PM
IMO keeping it to tribals makes sense because tribals are much more immune to the abuse of who c than non-tribal clans (because of tribal bonds and general lack of hiring/firing/punishing), and much higher in need of connecting due to small size and isolation. It's also a pure OOC tool that leaders would use to make IC decisions based on the output. I don't love that.  Staff opinion varies a bit of course, but there is a consistent policy in place that's been there awhile. 

The added role play experience is stuff like you could break a barrier you'd never have tried if you had who c. At the same time you can who c with no lag making it easy to see who is dodging duties even if you're busy.

I think you are right, if we were seeing 75 players on steadily. Given our current population levels, this is a quality of life perk. Either give all the clans it, or none of them.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Add it to all clans, make a nosave toggle for players who don't want to show up on the list.
Barrier works okay, but then you get attacked by a scorpion while grebbing and just show up on the list anyways.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on June 15, 2023, 08:35:24 PM
Add it to all clans, make a nosave toggle for players who don't want to show up on the list.
Barrier works okay, but then you get attacked by a scorpion while grebbing and just show up on the list anyways.

Oh I like this a lot. If it's something anyone can opt out there's no reasonable reason why not to have everyone able to access it. All it can do is offer more RP that way without any need to worry about it being a burden to those who don't want to be effected.

QuoteI don't understand why clans don't have this implemented, in my opinion having WHO C in all clans would be beneficially for players to find others who are online to roleplay with. There is ways to hide around who c such as barrier if you really don't want to be known of being 'around'. What do you guys think? And why?

There are a couple problems with this reasoning.
Who C works for those that are in your clan.  So let's look at the instances where you would use who c to find rp that you cannot otherwise find.
1.  A clan member is on but is not in clan-oriented rp areas:  They are either not set for interaction, or got involved in something to entertain themselves while you weren't online.  Who c does nothing in either case except for allow you to do what you'd normally do anyway; contact them.
2.  A clan member is on and is in a place ready for interaction:  You just...go to where the interaction is.  Or contact them.
3.  A clan member isn't on: Without who c, you look for interaction by looking to see who's on and what's going on, or you try to contact people and log off.  With who c, you look for interaction knowing none of it is clan oriented, or you log off.

Who c actually makes very little difference as far as finding interaction.  What it -does- do is make more people log in to check on who c and log off without taking the time to see if there's something -else- worth doing.  It offers very little in terms of logistics, the information it provides is useful in...very few circumstances, and it usually means the game provides less interaction rather than more.  Having had it several several times, I actually generally think the game is better without it altogether, from tribals to militias to clans, with rare exceptions for leaders.

The fact is, the playerbase is based less on finding interaction, and more on finding interaction they choose.  Who C is generally wanted so that one can decide to play arm, know they have time for it, but not walk around playing arm unless they know they can do what they want in a specific amount of time.  Great for gaming, not so great for sandbox rp games trying to make fluid interaction.

QuoteI think you are right, if we were seeing 75 players on steadily. Given our current population levels, this is a quality of life perk. Either give all the clans it, or none of them.

I'm in the none of them camp, but to be clear here...there was a long period of time before 75 players online where things are the same or stricter than they are now in terms of who c.  There was a long period of multiple years that 30 was primetime holy shit lots of people on, where there were more clans open, both cities open, tribals, raiders, and everything in between...in numbers that were sometimes a large proportion of the players, and sometimes small, always waxing and waning.  These QoL things are not what made us suddenly get a huge upturn in playerbase; it was shit happening.  It was people being around in predictable ways so that interaction was not something you had to arrange and facilitate.  It was plots from above (staff) and plots from below (players) being mashed into small spaces (cities) and needing things or venturing into large, dangerous spaces (wilderness, hunters, raiders).

Our playerbase today plays Armageddon very differently, where avoidance is just as common and more facilitated than it was in the past.  We have private areas super accessible (apartments vs the scarcity of apartments before), we have less common area necessity (clan compounds for storage and hard to get resources), we have less need to be in congestion for collaboration (upgraded guilds and subguilds that push for self sufficiency).

These things can be called good or bad from a bunch of different perspectives.  But this isn't a thing that increases interaction, this is a feature based on time.  So if we want to make everyone's time saveable with the log in/log out if no one is in, we can certainly do that, but it comes at the cost of the interaction you're seeking.  Interaction comes very very readily, even with low player count, when people welcome it and welcome interdependency instead of avoiding it until they find the right flavor and using their time for pure personal enjoyment in the meantime.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger