Basic Roles Role Call

Started by titansfan, June 12, 2023, 03:25:47 PM

Quote from: Classclown on June 16, 2023, 11:47:02 AM
Every role is the same thing. A Byn Sergeant role doesn't have anyone to vouch for them either, it's role play. We're here to roleplay. We make stuff up. That's what we're here for. So yes, those graduates would have people to vouch for them and like every role, you should have some knowledge of the role and its requirements before deciding to app in.

Yes, and no. In my opinion, an app'd in Byn Sergeant has the virtual resources to back them up. Transferred in from <x> unit which is an existing unit, with staff who can and will backup things you may have negotiated in your background, etc, as this is a Sponsored Role.

Apping in as an Atrium Graduate means there is no Terashi to blame when you're NOT pouring tea properly or when you are showing odd disloyalty to the Great Water Dragon. Where other, sponsored roll calls have some staff support these would not.

I love me my Atrium, even if its never loved me back. The complaints I'm reading about it are the same complaints I hear in every other clan. "I do not like being told where to be or being talked down to because I chose interaction over solo RP in the clan hall". Its a valid point, but personally I don't think the solution is "let people apply with all these skills and connections already in game without 'earning' them through play.

I have a hard time with app'd in Troopers and Privates as well, I still can't get my head around it.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I think something added is better than nothing currently.  All these details about back up codedly or what not can still exist if an imm wishes to take it over.  If not they don't post for the role. There's so much no in regards to trying to do new innovative things but why not just try and see how it turns out?
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

So this is more along the lines of "app in a codedly advanced Trooper/City Soldier" but instead its .... aide-social?

I'm not AGAINST the idea but I guess I just don't understand why. At that point, nearly everything is a "sponsored" role in the game. Is the game really dying so quickly that staff have to specifically mention which areas need assistance?

What if there were a way to kind of separate IC rumor boards by "IC Rumors of happenings" and "IC/OOC Rumors of positions open". Like a Job Board vs a Rumor Board, and the Job Board could be dumped to the GDB every so often?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Personally,

I wouldn't mind a board post that lists the following things:

Tuluk:
Templar - Grandpa
Winrothol Noble - Marge
Tenneshi Noble - Homer
Dasari Noble - Ned

Allanak:
Templar - Fry
Borsail Noble - Leela
Tor Noble - Bender
Jal Noble - Zoidberg

Merchant Houses & T'zai Byn:
Kadius - Moe
Kurac - Larry
Salarr - Curly
T'zai Byn Sergeant - Shemp

Where we share who the active leaders are in a particular city so that a new character in the game can just contact them and ask them for a job.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

That'd be better than nothing.

Maybe instead of names, the positions?

Either way, something is better than nothing.

Good idea.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Personally, I think the idea of a basic, staff-led, roll call for types of jobs needed to be filled is handy so players can see where attention is needed in the world before making their character.
It shouldn't give much detail (other than need and location) and RP ought to determine who gets the job and how they go about securing it.

What is the actual difference between a rolecall for a templar and a rolecall for a hunter?  Both would be done with purely OOC information.

Except where there may be numerous templar applications and only one is selected and guaranteed the position, there might be a few people who intend to play as hunters, and one, none, or several of them will go on to be successful hunters for that particular client.

I don't know. It feels like there could be a special process players have to go to, first on the rumor boards, and if after a week goes by with no bites.. well I mean, that's just so implausible anyway. Surely after advertising around for over a month in game time someone would come forward.

I think it makes sense and would facilitate gameplay.

The difference is rolecalls are specified for those working closely with staff on something or other, so there is an application process for the role based off of that; they need to get an idea of what the player is thinking, how they're going to approach things, and see if they can work with it.

If you need a basic rolecall, you can always email the staff of an area and ask them if there's anything lacking in their area that you could help fill.  It will not be a staff sponsored position, but they may be able to (or may not be able to) give you an idea of some things that could bring life to the area.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Riev on June 16, 2023, 02:39:13 PM
So this is more along the lines of "app in a codedly advanced Trooper/City Soldier" but instead its .... aide-social?

I'm not AGAINST the idea but I guess I just don't understand why. At that point, nearly everything is a "sponsored" role in the game. Is the game really dying so quickly that staff have to specifically mention which areas need assistance?

What if there were a way to kind of separate IC rumor boards by "IC Rumors of happenings" and "IC/OOC Rumors of positions open". Like a Job Board vs a Rumor Board, and the Job Board could be dumped to the GDB every so often?

It wouldn't just be for areas needed, maybe people don't always want to go through recruit year for the millionth time. Soldiers transfer units, workers relocate to different offices in different states all the time irl. So you have to learn people's names. Not having the trust built from doing your recruit year with the same unit/class would be one of the hurdles you would have to navigate and, I think, would offer a lot of rp opportunities. You would have to work twice as hard to make those connections.

You also seem to be downplaying npcs and vnpcs, as if they're not as real as players which, in the world, isn't true.

I just want to know what parts of the game are active at the time of me making a character and what niches could be filled so I'm not going in blind.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

Quote from: Kavrick on July 16, 2023, 10:17:56 AMI just want to know what parts of the game are active at the time of me making a character and what niches could be filled so I'm not going in blind.

This is how I feel. Plus, it would make it easier for people coming off breaks to dream up a new person to play.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Kavrick on July 16, 2023, 10:17:56 AMI just want to know what parts of the game are active at the time of me making a character and what niches could be filled so I'm not going in blind.
illegal craigslist could do this

Would it be possible to have copies of the ig boards on the website? It is an ooc thing in the first place. It would give some ic info, but only what your future character might have picked up in a tavern before your commencement anyway.

Quote from: zealus on June 14, 2023, 09:48:19 PM
Quote from: dumbstruck on June 14, 2023, 11:52:40 AM
Quote from: zealus on June 14, 2023, 11:43:14 AMAgreed that the atrium isn't about learning docs. It's about making useful connections. And learning the political lay of the land. That's not something you can app into.

On the one hand I get what you're saying. On the other hand, I would almost contend that having access to the Atrium and spending time there and not being forced to spend it doing virtual lesson shit for the fifteen millionth time actually frees you up to make those connections a bit more easily because your time is your own until you have an employer rather than being obligated to endless virtual lessons during the majority of your log in time and then having random free time on 'off days' subsumed into some random player telling you for the fifteenth time how to pour tea because hey that was the day that one day in three IC weeks where you and the 'host' are on at the same time and they weren't too busy for whatever rp with your char on an actual ICly appropriate day for it, etc. But then, I have very low patience for having my escapism be buried in that for six RL weeks in the HOPES that something cooler happens later, when... before people made it "more or less required" for your aide to be an atrium graduate for you to play an aide without both you and the player of the noble being kinda looked down upon about it if you knew and understood the role you could just play the damn role.

Well, just how I told my AoD recruits: Tavern duty is part of your education.
If the Atrium instructors reprimand you for not being around (when others are not) for virtual lessons, they can usually assume they are done, virtually, imo.
But being chucked together with some people who will be aides later on is useful. Forms those friendships that you can pull favors out of later on.

And rivalries. Always fun to graduate to being someone's frienemy.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

"War.  War never changes. And that's great for business!"

Dammit, I think I absolutely love my character and would never want to leave all the great stuff going on, then you guys double-dog dare me to app in as Merchant Major Hogan. I can't believe you've done this.  >:(