Hording Solutions

Started by RheaGhe, May 15, 2023, 01:47:44 AM

May 15, 2023, 01:47:44 AM Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 01:49:33 AM by RheaGhe
So, I've been thinking... In my whirlwind tour of a few different factions now. I've noticed that hording is a problem.

There are certain places that you literally can't place items down because there's LITERALLY 10 years of shit all built up, literally preventing anything from being moved or placed in those rooms.

In some ways, that's historic, it adds to the history of the game.

In others. It creates a problem for new members of the faction.

I've come up with what I think might be a solid solution. And I'm gonna list it here. But I think other people might have solutions as well.

Rather than getting big warehouse storerooms, or store rooms in general. Each faction that is crafting heavy, or has a crafting area, instead has a delivery of general crafting materials related to their faction placed in the store room if someone is using it. At a routine rate, such as once per in game day.

Some examples: Guild gets poison supplies low quality, and pick creation supplies. As well as some goods to salvage that are implied to be stolen but low quality. This would enable them to train that day, a little.

Every month those resources that get horded are also packed away into a room, with a save tag, but with a purge every 6 months, so care can be taken to allow for a request of any rare resources that get purged from the main rooms.

This sounds like a lot of complexities, but I'm just trying to include what all would have to be implemented to allow it.

The upshot: "Free resources to train with daily" Increased reliance on CURRENT players for rarer goods. Rather than just finding someone with some of it in their big ass warehouse.
The downsides: No more hording, "Free Stuff"

I would recommend to have storage NPCs that buy and sell at 0 (can be done by setting discount at 100% on clan members)

Consider Salarr:
1 NPC for raw materials, 1 for armor, 1 for weapon
With 3 NPCs, you can have infinite space.

Then, the available space can be used for actual deliveries, personal items, and historical things you mentioned.

as a player, who often ends up -quartermastering- in any given clan, junk shit. Really. Junk as much shit as you can. Make room for the uses -current-. You are in a bone easy zone, junk all those pieces/short/long, that any can get easily if they want. Trade if you have the time or desire, but if just considering room space, junk it.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Quote from: ShaiHulud on May 15, 2023, 02:48:52 AM
as a player, who often ends up -quartermastering- in any given clan, junk shit. Really. Junk as much shit as you can. Make room for the uses -current-. You are in a bone easy zone, junk all those pieces/short/long, that any can get easily if they want. Trade if you have the time or desire, but if just considering room space, junk it.

I can't quote this enough.

Don't be afraid to 'lose resources'.
Is it fun for the Byn to have some crafting supplies for enterprising Troopers? Sure. But you're not a crafting clan. Junk stuff once in a while.
Are you in a GMH Clan and have "too many" of a material? Offload half of what you have and say another crew needed it. Create a 'need' for supplies.
Are you a soldier in the Legions/AoD? Just like the Byn, some materials can be fun. Sell your materials to the GMH, or an indie, or literally just dump them on a heap.

There are only a few resources that you will have a 'hard' time getting back. Maybe don't junk bahamet shell, but you may not need 50 chalton hides and horns. Nobody is balancing your spreadsheet and finding that you are fired as an AoD Officer because you didn't make enough money from your wild chalton.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I've always been a proponent of "junk it if you don't need it."

Scenario: a GMH clan with 2 active members in it.  A third is stored, but the players don't know that yet. One of the two has stopped playing for "reasons" and might or might not be back, and no one knows for sure yet. So - one actually active member. The bunkroom has around 1400 items in it, including 5 of the 7 lockers filled up.

The next room is the actual workshop/storeroom. That has another 1000+ items in it, including tools. 14 chisels, among other things. Over 50 untanned chalton hides. Over 400 feathers - including the "bundles" that you have to open to reveal either 10 individual feathers or 10 smaller-sized bundles of 10 individual feathers each.

The location: Halfway between north and south. Easy access to feathers, stone to make more chisels, and chaltons.  In fact the stone to make the chisels is 2 rooms away from the location's gate.

Junk things. Seriously. You do no one a favor by keeping it all, ESPECIALLY hunters and independent raw materials suppliers (grebbers) who need an IC reason to go out and bring back materials. You would be supporting the function of your hunters, AND giving independents a link to roleplaying with your clan, AND spreading around some of the massive amounts of coin your clan brings in, by junking and replenishing.

Submit a request to your clan staff saying that "The other (virtual) unit had an order for 50 obsidian-studded whatevers so we're down to only 5 small shards out of the 30 small shards and 10 large chunks we had yesterday. I'm sending Amos the grebber out for more tomorrow."

Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right

Quote from: Hestia on May 15, 2023, 09:37:16 AM
I've always been a proponent of "junk it if you don't need it."

Scenario: a GMH clan with 2 active members in it.  A third is stored, but the players don't know that yet. One of the two has stopped playing for "reasons" and might or might not be back, and no one knows for sure yet. So - one actually active member. The bunkroom has around 1400 items in it, including 5 of the 7 lockers filled up.

The next room is the actual workshop/storeroom. That has another 1000+ items in it, including tools. 14 chisels, among other things. Over 50 untanned chalton hides. Over 400 feathers - including the "bundles" that you have to open to reveal either 10 individual feathers or 10 smaller-sized bundles of 10 individual feathers each.

The location: Halfway between north and south. Easy access to feathers, stone to make more chisels, and chaltons.  In fact the stone to make the chisels is 2 rooms away from the location's gate.

Junk things. Seriously. You do no one a favor by keeping it all, ESPECIALLY hunters and independent raw materials suppliers (grebbers) who need an IC reason to go out and bring back materials. You would be supporting the function of your hunters, AND giving independents a link to roleplaying with your clan, AND spreading around some of the massive amounts of coin your clan brings in, by junking and replenishing.

Submit a request to your clan staff saying that "The other (virtual) unit had an order for 50 obsidian-studded whatevers so we're down to only 5 small shards out of the 30 small shards and 10 large chunks we had yesterday. I'm sending Amos the grebber out for more tomorrow."

This method is available right now, and no one does it. Hence why I am suggesting manually enforcing it in some way. With a safety room that means that you won't lose rare things.

Coming into a thread wherein people are pointing out hording is a problem. And saying, "Just junk it all." Is bad logic. It requires people to be A: Willing to take that step. And B: Willing to not use that material in some way, rather than junking it.

Just junk it, as a proposition has failed us for years now. Advocate for it fine.

But at a certain point realize that a newbie, or otherwise other player, coming in from the outside, the average person isn't likely to feel COMFORTABLE junking all the low end resources.

Hunters and grebbers are not always aplenty. Sometimes you need an overflow.

What I would like, however, is to have a kind of barter trader, maybe make it exclusively hunter.

Basically:
Trade in raw material XYZ, receive token.
Trade in token, get some stuff that's harder to get.
Like chalton hides in the Southern compounds get you tembo hides, except it's at a bad rate.

This gives the hunters plenty to do, and also gives some options beyond "Pray someone hunts the thing for us"
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

The Hoarding problem is an artificially created one stemming from player attitudes and behavior. The fix exists (junk more), it just requires a shift in player behavior to be more willing to junk.

For GMH I support the implementation of npcs that will buy House and House-adjacent crafts for less-than PC market value. These NPCs would serve as an outlet for excess materials, and inject some coin into the PC pockets. They would also be a tangible benefit of GMH clans over indie crafters.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 15, 2023, 11:22:57 AM
The Hoarding problem is an artificially created one stemming from player attitudes and behavior. The fix exists (junk more), it just requires a shift in player behavior to be more willing to junk.

For GMH I support the implementation of npcs that will buy House and House-adjacent crafts for less-than PC market value. These NPCs would serve as an outlet for excess materials, and inject some coin into the PC pockets. They would also be a tangible benefit of GMH clans over indie crafters.

Some of this seems to already be happening, or in the works.
You may not get a BUNCH of coin, but you can still turn in a dozen chalton hides for a few coins each.
Then crafters can go in and 'buy' them for a slightly increased cost and create/fill orders.
Crafters can then "sell" their materials to an NPC,
Merchants can come by them and not worry about "hunter and crafter" cuts, as they have already been paid.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

My hoarding behaviour was always a result of wanting as many different materials on hand as possible, so I could try out as many different possible crafting combinations in order to figure out recipes. It never worked particularly well. So hopefully with the new changes to analyze, at least hoarders with my psychology may be less prone to sitting on piles of junk?