Fall Rooms, Mounts, and Climb!

Started by Gunnerblaster, April 29, 2023, 05:59:17 PM

Since I'm in no way code savvy, what would be the feasibility (and want) for a code that automatically will dismount a PC from whatever they're riding, if what they're riding enters a fall room?

As it works, to my knowledge, if you enter a room - You, as a player, can succeed on your climb check, but your mount can still fail which means you both fall. I would propose some sort of code implementation that sees your character auto-dismounted if their mount fails it's climb check, but doesn't drag you with it.

Perhaps the more intellectually inclined and code knowledgeable players of ARM could lend some credibility to this idea.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

When you enter a climb room while mounted your mount makes a climb check. If it fails then it begins falling and anyone mounted on it also begins falling. I've had mounts succeed climbing before while I'm riding it, although it's extremely rare. You don't make a climb check when you're mounted because you aren't climbing, your mount is climbing.
If you dismount before entering a climb room and your mount successfully follows you then you can mount it and climb down the wall onto a non-climb room without fail, which is pretty funny.

May 20, 2023, 12:54:02 PM #2 Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 02:58:42 PM by Kaathe
Is this a big deal anywhere besides the sinkhole?

Don't want IC details if yes.

Regardless makes some sense, perhaps with agility check.

What happens now if you attempt dismount while falling I wonder? I'll try and remember to check later.

It would be relevant anywhere a climb/fall room is adjacent to one with stable ground such as the shield wall, or various steppes.

I'm pretty sure if your mount enters a falling state it kicks you off the mount immediately and you both fall separately.

If you ride your horse off a cliff it doesn't matter how good of a climber you are until you try to grab the cliff as you fall while now being separate from the horse.

Quote from: Lotion on May 20, 2023, 08:11:04 PM
If you ride your horse off a cliff it doesn't matter how good of a climber you are until you try to grab the cliff as you fall while now being separate from the horse.

You kick free before it goes over or you are fucked.  Sure we all know a person or two that have died this way, I certainly do.