Nightime, storms and torches.

Started by Kavrick, April 20, 2023, 03:46:48 PM

So something I've noticed since I've started playing is how kinda terrible the night time is. This applies to lots and lots of things, not even talking about how the shops all close and there's little to do. But primarily my biggest issue is that a lot of the time, there's just nothing that can be done about it. Using a torch or a lantern (even 'storm' lanterns) At night 90% of the time do absolutely nothing. There are areas in the game that are described as 'sheltered' and even have a firepit (for example, the rihali camp, the two-moons camp and also the firepit for the garrison all become pitch-black at night, despite having cover and a fire-pit), and yet those areas also get completely destroyed by the night and it not only makes little sense, but it also ruins rp when you're trying to chill out at a campsight with your buddies just for everything to go pitch black despite the fact you have a campfire going.

Basically, I'm not saying nights should be nerfed, bight light sources, especially storm-lanterns, firepits and campfires should 100% help with seeing at night, this would just be nice as a QoL and for RP reasons, I don't think this would make the game easier in any way.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

The you can't see shit code definitely needs an update like you said.

I've had it where I get that and whip out a torch and I'm golden, and also where five people in the room can whip out torches and still can't see.

I think outside of the super-sandstorms that sometimes pop up, you should be able to see at night at least in your room.

Also we need nocturnal animals to kill and be killed by.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on April 20, 2023, 03:56:26 PM
The you can't see shit code definitely needs an update like you said.

I've had it where I get that and whip out a torch and I'm golden, and also where five people in the room can whip out torches and still can't see.

I think outside of the super-sandstorms that sometimes pop up, you should be able to see at night at least in your room.

Also we need nocturnal animals to kill and be killed by.

I think nighttime could add a really cool dynamic to the game for risk/reward if it wasn't just constantly blinding 95% of the time. Creatures you can only hunt at night, maybe certain herbs only blossoming at night, cool stuff like that.

To go with OP, at the very least the plethora of IG areas that specifically state in their descriptions that they are covered/sheltered, lit by fire, all that jazz should be immune to the gofuckyourself code of nighttime weather and lighting conditions. The firepit in Luirs, the central gathering spot in many a tribal camp also. I don't know if it's as easy as wishing up when you're in those rooms and it gets dealt with as a piece-by-piece basis or what, but it's something I've been thinking about for a long time but never thought to bring up until I saw Kavrick's post.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

I am also all for fixing the ancient wonky code. Also apart from critters that hunt by scent or vibrations something shouldn't be able to run into the room and rek you if it is blind from a storm. You can't see it in the next room but a mek or bahamet will see you from a room away run in and kill you unless it is pitch black.

Quote from: Inks on May 06, 2023, 10:50:00 AM
I am also all for fixing the ancient wonky code. Also apart from critters that hunt by scent or vibrations something shouldn't be able to run into the room and rek you if it is blind from a storm. You can't see it in the next room but a mek or bahamet will see you from a room away run in and kill you unless it is pitch black.

I'm pretty back and forth on the inconvenience factor of night time.  As I've said in multiple different discussions, inconvenience is a tool for use to create the scenarios/gameplay that is desired, and I believe night-time having inconveniences has some unmentioned merits.  Things like the above are definitely just outright issues to be looked at and see if we can improve that element of that inconvenience though, and opportunities to make that inconvenience more interesting.  I'd agree that animal/npc night-time behaviors would be a good place to start.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on May 06, 2023, 01:10:06 PM
Quote from: Inks on May 06, 2023, 10:50:00 AMI am also all for fixing the ancient wonky code. Also apart from critters that hunt by scent or vibrations something shouldn't be able to run into the room and rek you if it is blind from a storm. You can't see it in the next room but a mek or bahamet will see you from a room away run in and kill you unless it is pitch black.

I'm pretty back and forth on the inconvenience factor of night time.  As I've said in multiple different discussions, inconvenience is a tool for use to create the scenarios/gameplay that is desired, and I believe night-time having inconveniences has some unmentioned merits.  Things like the above are definitely just outright issues to be looked at and see if we can improve that element of that inconvenience though, and opportunities to make that inconvenience more interesting.  I'd agree that animal/npc night-time behaviors would be a good place to start.

I'm 100% up for night time having inconveniences and differences. But from my experience playing the game, it being nighttime means 90% of the time you cannot see, no matter if you're wearing sunslits or if you're using a torch. So, I just end up either logging off or staying indoors for the entire time. There's no real outdoor camping, it's far better/safer to either wilderness quit or to get to a settlement.

If it's dark and stormy out, with a primitive torch or not, how far do you think you'll see? I thinkthe code on weather and night time shit could be added to, maybe tweaked some, but night time is supposed to be dangerous.

Having played a decent bit of gangSTARS I've dicked around at night alot doing thug shit. It really isnt that bad in my opinion

Nocturnal animals +1
A few night blooming flowers (or poisonous herbs) +1

Maybe add a handful of bandits that patrol the roads here or there at night. Put them on a walk back and forth, and once the sun goes up they delete or summm. Makes it much more dangerous and likely to get killed traveling a road at night