KILL ROUGHNECK
FLEE SOUTH
NORTH
KILL ROUGHNECK

That wouldn't be fun amirite ?

::edit - removed duplicate post::

Quote from: roughneck on April 20, 2023, 07:55:29 AM
What good is it and why do we need it?
If you mean the lag when something falls down and you hit it the last time to kill it, I agree.

But the code doesn't know the difference.

The delay after kill is for what Kakkarot said.  If Joe Antagonist Raider Dwarf #50012 yells about wind and comes in to attack you, you can flee away.

Without that delay, it's not game code helping you flee, it's purely down to who can type faster and some people probably cheat and use triggers

So you'd flee a direction, he's instantly follow and type kill you over and over till he got lucky and did the job.

The current way it is, it allows you to get a few room headstart before he's busting ass after you.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

The kill command opens with an attack. If it had no delay, you could KILL MAN;;DISENGAGE on repeat to spam attacks.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

alright alright, good points

I do wish they would put the coup de grĂ¢ce to not lag you though.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

April 21, 2023, 01:35:52 AM #6 Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 01:41:47 AM by Inks
I've seen PCs saved by that delay more than half a dozen times. Both coup de grace and otherwise.

Especially in group pvp or if they have PC bodyguards.

Quote from: Inks on April 21, 2023, 01:35:52 AM
I've seen PCs saved by that delay more than half a dozen times.

Especially in group pvp or if they have PC bodyguards.
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

I mean:
Spider crumples to the ground.
Kill spider
Instantly kills spider then stuck in rt for five seconds.
That's what I'm advocating to go away, the after effect where I just start at the dead thing like it's a gore movie and he stabs someone in the chest on the ground and just inhales and exhales into the camera for five seconds.

April 21, 2023, 01:43:08 AM #8 Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 01:46:42 AM by Inks
Yes I edited for clarity. I did mean that as well. I have had a PC rush into combat in that timeframe after I attacked his friend to stunned or mortally (was a while back) and saved him.

My PC was pissed but I thought it was pretty cool. Don't forget there also is that delay when an NPC knocks us to mortally in group fights against spiders and stuff it can save you.

April 21, 2023, 01:45:39 AM #9 Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 01:49:34 AM by Pariah
Quote from: Inks on April 21, 2023, 01:43:08 AM
Yes I edited for clarity. I did mean that as well. I have had a PC rush into combat in that timeframe after I attacked his friend to mortally and saved him.
I am talking about the kill blow, it happens the very instant you type kill dude.  Unless you get super unlucky and they survive that attack.

So your buddy could rush in all he wants the minute I type that command your most likely dead.  He might be able to drag your corpse away before I can move but you're dead.

That's what I'm not understanding there is no saving unless I get that super rare chance I don't one hit kill your crumpled form.

That's why I don't think it should matter on a death blow like that, cause what are you slowing me down for? So I can't get all corpse you till five seconds later?

Also if you're talking about the blow that crumples you, that has no delay unless you just typed kill.

So if I've been going rounds with you for a minute and my kill timer is elapsed, the literal instant you fall, I can go kill homie and end you.  Even if I'm fighting something else.

April 21, 2023, 01:51:35 AM #10 Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 01:53:26 AM by Inks
Okay. For your example, I saw an enraged mul bounce an attack on an elf's neck, that he had single hit to mortally. It was a miracle I have never seen before or since. The elf lived. If you  were that mul or the elf in the silo that time chime in.

Also stop speedrunning the game bro. I don't want to see people smashing through the wilderness critters faster than they do.

Quote from: Inks on April 21, 2023, 01:51:35 AM
Okay. For your example, I saw an enraged mul bounce an attack on an elf he had single hit to mortally. It was a miracle I have never seen before or since. The elf lived if you were that mul or the elf in the silo that time chime in.

Also stop speedrunning the game bro. I don't want to see people smashing through the wilderness critters faster than they do.
That is possible, but soooooo unprobable to happen, that dude should have played the lottery.

I don't know if there is still a bug, but I believe it used to be say you're fighting three chaltons and they got the gangbang bonus on you, three to one, if you knocked out one chalton, it would take a round or two for that gangbang bonus to fall to 2-1.  So I just got used to dropping shit the second it hits the pavement.

If you are engaged with other stuff you shouldn't be able to coup de grace if one of the other things attacks you before you can kill. I am not sure how you can see the gang bonus of creatures like you are describing.

Yeah the mul thing...Was the craziest thing ever. I didn't even know it was possible until it happened.

Quote from: Inks on April 21, 2023, 02:01:05 AM
If you are engaged with other stuff you shouldn't be able to coup de grace if one of the other things attacks you before you can kill. I am not sure how you can see the gang bonus of creatures like you are describing.

Yeah the mul thing...Was the craziest thing ever. I didn't even know it was possible until it happened.
Agree with you but do an experiment next time you find two sissy animals and let me know what you find.

Say two chalton.

Fight them, they both with jump you, you'll take them down fast cause you're not a sissy.

So after you type kill chalton or whatever, pre type kill chalton again and hover your finger over the enter button, the minute you see that crumple, press.

You'll find there is a delay in the system knowing your in combat and you'll kill it just as if you standing there alone, you could have seven critters all trying to kill you.

I don't know shit about the code of arm, but I'm assuming there is some lag in the computer identifying that you're still in a fight.

The kill lag is a nightmare to deal with at times.
Just having fun.

I used to hate the timer. Why do I need to spend 3 seconds killing something I just attached?

Well, I didn't kill it. So my character has to coup de grace as mentioned.

So my PC is kneeling down and slitting a throat, or standing over the animal/person and sticking a weapon in them, or swinging a hammer, etc. They're taking a full action in which they have to be focused on the task at hand, and also should have made sure they were safe to take beforehand.

Nobody is playing a medical doctor. It's not like most people are killing with scientific precision.

Now it's usually something I take as a time to emote, get in a character's head a bit, slow down, interact with the world. Play out their motivation for whatever the killing is.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Not so mad at the final strike timer, It's mildly inconvenient but whatever if it bothers you that much when you're fighting multiple enemies, type dise and you immediately set to work on one of the enemies that's actively attacking you. Having mercy on helps with that too. What _does_ bother me, is when you try to use a skill and it's impossible to pull it off, but there's the same delay as if it actually took place.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

Quote from: askaran on April 24, 2023, 12:24:37 AM
Not so mad at the final strike timer, It's mildly inconvenient but whatever if it bothers you that much when you're fighting multiple enemies, type dise and you immediately set to work on one of the enemies that's actively attacking you. Having mercy on helps with that too. What _does_ bother me, is when you try to use a skill and it's impossible to pull it off, but there's the same delay as if it actually took place.
Cough (throw) cough.

It would be very nice if when a command with delay or concentration breaking fails you don't lose concentration. I like to spam 'i' and 'l' as a sort of fidget when playing and sometimes do 'il' which would break concentration. By bruteforcing with adding a single letter at a time I deduced that I was failing to do the command "illusion".