Flee skill suggestion

Started by Pariah, April 17, 2023, 09:50:42 AM

So we've all been there when we've been hunting, say we are good enough to ride and fight without our beetle yeeting us off.  We ride in, scary thing charges in, we pull out our second weapons, fight fight fight.

Things go sour, we get nailed hard on the neck.
Then we get smacked again by the flee attack of opportunity then get told we can't ride two handed or whatever, so it sorta adds insult to injury.

Why not have flee override our ability to ride and if you can't ride two handed, make it drop a weapon when you run away.

That way you don't get mollywomped and have to wait three seconds for your sheath es, flee attempt again to get mollywomped one more time.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

+1
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

My ideal would be some added granularity:

If you try to flee but can't because you're holding two weapons/2hand and CAN'T flee, then the flee method doesn't get called at all. No free hit, because you couldn't even ride away for the Attack of Opportunity.

If you try to flee, but can't, because your flee skill was too low then flee method has already been called, so free hit should occur.

Basically, trying to flee but being told you can't ride with two weapons out and getting the free hit feels a little wonky. You weren't ABLE to ride away at all, not failing at the flee skill specifically.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on April 17, 2023, 12:59:46 PM

If you try to flee but can't because you're holding two weapons/2hand and CAN'T flee, then the flee method doesn't get called at all. No free hit, because you couldn't even ride away for the Attack of Opportunity.

If you try to flee, but can't, because your flee skill was too low then flee method has already been called, so free hit should occur.

Basically, trying to flee but being told you can't ride with two weapons out and getting the free hit feels a little wonky. You weren't ABLE to ride away at all, not failing at the flee skill specifically.

It can't codedly allow the hit any other way.  I get WHY it hits you cause it's seeing you tried to flee before it sees if you CAN flee.  If it went in the reverse order and saw if you CAN flee, you'd have fled already and been a room away and the enemy doesn't get the free hit.

That's why I said it should just make you drop the weapon.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

I just wish the chase command wasn't broken by flee. You should be able to follow even someone is fleeing. Make it a stamina/speed contest instead of a key-spamming contest.

Quote from: Pariah on April 17, 2023, 01:16:44 PM
Quote from: Riev on April 17, 2023, 12:59:46 PM

It can't codedly allow the hit any other way.  I get WHY it hits you cause it's seeing you tried to flee before it sees if you CAN flee.  If it went in the reverse order and saw if you CAN flee, you'd have fled already and been a room away and the enemy doesn't get the free hit.

That's why I said it should just make you drop the weapon.

I was thinking more of having the flee code check if fleeing is POSSIBLE before running the skillcheck. Like, are there available exits, is character capable of moving, etc.

I'm also totally down for "the only way you can get away is to drop a weapon, so hopefully you weren't 2handing".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

While we're at it:

Fleeing in the "up" direction is fucking stupid.

At the very least, the code should check to see if you even have the climb skill before you try to scramble up a wall and end up breaking your neck in the middle of combat.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on April 17, 2023, 08:02:54 PM
While we're at it:

Fleeing in the "up" direction is fucking stupid.

At the very least, the code should check to see if you even have the climb skill before you try to scramble up a wall and end up breaking your neck in the middle of combat.

Agree, I feel like 'up' should only be checked if it's the only exit besides 'down.'

As an elf player I am all in favor of mounts making you drop your weapons when you flee on a mount if you don't remember to put them away. Or in any mounted scenario.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

April 20, 2023, 06:23:26 AM #8 Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 06:38:26 AM by Inks
Alias ef change hands etwo ep; flee self

Alias f flee

The foppish, snarky dwarf admonishes you: "If you can't etwo ride yet whacha doing fighting drovs instead of fleeing at the start poser."

In all seriousness the delay is fair punishment, think about it. You can't etwo ride but technically you are doging attacks while mounted and your PC isn't actually statically standing there swinging. That delay is fair considering they have been fighting in an inept way the whole combat. I realise we need to train this way skillwise but there SHOULD be that delay and attack of opportunity for the dangerous way we are behaving.

Dropping your weapon against an NPC most are just going to use gamey kiting and the npc aggro code to lure it away to chase a hawk or something and get your weapon back. It won't even be a thirty second inconvenience. The danger of using an unfamiliar style should be there.