Small code improvements/suggestions.

Started by Pariah, February 24, 2023, 12:07:42 PM

February 24, 2023, 12:07:42 PM Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 12:19:30 PM by Pariah
These are just tiny things, nothing major that if changed codewise I think would make the game more efficient/smarter.

Feel free to add yours you've noticed too:

1. So if you goto sleep, and then later wake up, you have to type wake then look.

Why doesn't wake just automatically look?  That's the natural first thing I do every morning I wake up, I don't roll out of bed and walk around with my eyes closed.  I instantly look at my surroundings and then go from there.  If you type wake and you wake up, I feel like you should autolook similar to if you walked in the room.

2. If you are already sitting somewhere, say a bar, and you forget if you typed sit bar, and you type sit bar again, you will get up and re-seat yourself at the bar looking like an idiot.

If you try to sit on something you're already sitting on, it should simply be like, "You're already there idiot." (or something).

Mount isn't silly like that.
QuoteYou jump up onto a large war beetle's back.
A large war beetle rises from the ground, and clambers to its feet.

201hp 175mv 178st 130fo>
mount
You're already riding a large war beetle.
I did wishful thinking with the prompt, sorta a joke.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure others have things too.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Similar echos when you take action on a target your already watching/guarding/shadowing.
-guard someone1 (while already guarding)
You stop guarding someone1.
You start guarding someone1.

If these spam like echos could be simplified.
-guard someone (while already guarding)
echo: You take notice of someone1, as you keep your guard up, still being protective.
Room echo: Player x checks his guard, keeping a protective stance near someone1

Quote from: Cordon on April 06, 2023, 11:04:57 PM
Similar echos when you take action on a target your already watching/guarding/shadowing.
-guard someone1 (while already guarding)
You stop guarding someone1.
You start guarding someone1.

If these spam like echos could be simplified.
-guard someone (while already guarding)
echo: You take notice of someone1, as you keep your guard up, still being protective.
Room echo: Player x checks his guard, keeping a protective stance near someone1

This would actually be really nice to streamline some things for immersion, but at the same time I also worry about clarity for people.  Knowing statuses and such of code ends up being a pretty big deal since it can be a pretty ruthless game, and I'd hate for there to be misunderstanding, but that could be covered in a myriad of different ways.  Nice reworks to message passing to the player could be an overall nice improvement with relatively low code time.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger