Staff Using Character Backgrounds?

Started by geminferno, February 12, 2023, 12:23:32 PM

It was suggested by the lovely Halaster to resurrect the discussion of staff using characters' backgrounds! Do you think this should resume again? I believe it's only right if someone's background is in-depth and has plot hooks built in that staff should be able to do something with it! Why not? This is a roleplay intensive MUD so why not facilitate some roleplay?

Im going to play devil's advocate again, say only certain people's backgrounds. Majority of players probably have a generic background and figure things out in game as they go, I know I do. Unless its a role call or special app, most characters are pretty blah and they shouldn't expect much use of their background in the first place. Actually, that should go for all characters. Excpect nothing, and be pleasantly surprised if it does happen.

Oh, I know specific characters. I specified that if a character's background has plot hooks and was in-depth and not one of those generic ones then staff should play with it, ya know?

I think your average, run-of-the-mill PC isn't going to have a background with any significant hooks that Staff should be obligated to make plot points out of, for them. To me, it sounds like wanting to be able to make a PC that has plot hooks that affect things in-game is akin to trying to make your PC a "main character" when, in fact, no one in ARM is a main character.

If you want a character involved with in-game plots and such, a special application or applying for a special role call is probably the best way to go about it.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Wasn't it just like two months ago that staff said to just throw in a request if you, the player, are okay with staff having full discretion to use your character's background for rp purposes? Is that not a thing still, or was that just discussed on Discord?
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on February 12, 2023, 03:13:17 PM
Wasn't it just like two months ago that staff said to just throw in a request if you, the player, are okay with staff having full discretion to use your character's background for rp purposes? Is that not a thing still, or was that just discussed on Discord?

It's still a thing as far as I know. I sent in a request to let them know my character's background is fair game and got a response.
Halaster the Shroud of Death says, out of character:
     "oh shit, lol"

Usiku, "Seemed like Jeffrey Dahmer was pretty pro at the locked apartment kill."

It looks like there are two different things being discussed here:

1) I want the staff to use my background to create rp plot stuff for me.
2) I want to let staff know that I consent to them using my background, if they choose.

I'd say, from my perspective, it's great if you consent to my using your background to RP scenes with your character. I might, or I might not, but it's great to know that I may.

If I get folks pointing out their backgrounds and saying "I'm putting this in my background and need some RP around it" I would probably answer exactly as I did above: I might, or I might not, but it's great to know that I may."

Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right

I think they might be referencing this directive from Shabago:

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,58019.0.html

Not sure how relevant point #2 is currently.

2) Player background and player started plots:

Player created and/or started plots will continue to receive support, as they have these past years. This will come with the addition of staff utilizing player backgrounds if/as able to help tell a characters story on the micro level. Staff, when spotting something in the background of a player in their area, zone or clan that they wish to bring to life and have the available time, will do so. In order to make this less jarring or go against player wishes at present, it is asked that players note in a character report if they wish to have their background or bios be free game. This is an all or nothing aspect - either all of your background/bios are open for usage, or none.

My personal opinion, it should be a toggleable flag on your account, similar to the 'Review my RP' flag that isn't overly used as far as I know. Something like 'Do you give permission for Staff to use your background for future animations, plots, and plot devices? This is entirely optional, and can be toggled from the home screen after logging on to your account. [Y/N]
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

At the current time, you need to send in request for that flag to be on. It turns off after your character dies or store.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on February 15, 2023, 06:32:30 PM
At the current time, you need to send in request for that flag to be on. It turns off after your character dies or store.

Is that documented somewhere?

If not, it should be, or it should be somewhat automated (via chargen etc) maybe every time you make a new PC or something.

--Immanuel Kant

It feels as it it was hinted rather than be official. I was only able to find this thread: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,58020.msg1076667.html
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I assumed using backgrounds was in-character lore and fair game....

Let this be my eternal consent for staff to use my BG to harass me and build the story.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: WarriorPoet on February 15, 2023, 07:27:50 PM

Let this be my eternal consent for staff to use my BG to harass me and build the story.

Same here. I just sent in a request stating all my current and future pcs backgrounds are open to be used
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Legit this. Like. 100%. If I have it in my background, it's something that's happened to my pc or applicable to them in some way. Please do not pull punches if you're considering using something, even if it's something small and weird or obscure. I'm not looking for hella storylines. Sometimes something like 'You remember the last time your father sat down and taught you to whittle.' on a pc whose background talks about them learning woodworking from their father while they are working wood at 2 am can be devastatingly effective as a roleplay prompt.

I feel REALLY confused. It hasn't been "Free to use" ever or is this a recent change?
Why are the reasons people WOULDN'T want this to be a thing?
Why would you write something in your background and not want it to be part of your characters future?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Maybe you have a family member that you don't want animated. I dunno. I'm hard pressed to find. Reason.

Maybe it should be "opt out" instead of "opt in". It's part of when you make an account or new PC, and you can choose to opt out at that time of your PC background being fair game to use by Staff.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Veselka on February 17, 2023, 12:21:11 PM
Maybe it should be "opt out" instead of "opt in".

Yes, please. I wonder how much fun stuff I have missed out on not knowing about this. :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.