Am I Weird?

Started by DustMight, December 24, 2022, 05:26:05 PM

I have been playing Armageddon sporadically since before the famous Israeli hack. I logged in first in my early twenties. I just created a character for the first time in forever. I am as old as dirt. I wonder if I'm the only one from my generation still intrigued.

Pretty sure there are a lot of people around who are old as dirt, I'd like to think I'm relatively young, but I've been playing for about a decade on and off hehe
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Nope, not weird. I am old as dirt, and not even the oldest.

You're in good company DustMight.   8)
Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right

Quote from: DustMight on December 24, 2022, 05:26:05 PM
I have been playing Armageddon sporadically since before the famous Israeli hack. I logged in first in my early twenties. I just created a character for the first time in forever. I am as old as dirt. I wonder if I'm the only one from my generation still intrigued.
It's a great time to come back, specifically if you like crafting.  I'm 43, so maybe you're older than that, but I feel like I'm old as dirt.

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49825.msg1085142.html#new
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

The itch comes and goes, but I've definitely been here longer than I thought I would.

On and off though, admittedly!

Nope we're still around.  :o
"I stalk the shadows, I am the one who wears that friendly face. Behind your every move, there is nothing you can do. Pride yourself in the fact that you do not already rot and bake. Be prepared, I am always watching." - Allanaki Assassin

I don't know how to 'date' myself as one of the older players. Remember when you'd die before your hour was up, and you'd get that whole Suk-Krath the Sun message and come back completely naked?

I've done that too many times.
You don't see that here.

The withered Methuselah looks at DustMight.  "I remember you." Proceeds to pull out a bigger club.

Welcome back.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Quote from: ShaiHulud on December 25, 2022, 12:42:42 AM
The withered Methuselah looks at DustMight.  "I remember you." Proceeds to pull out a bigger club.

Welcome back.

Squinting, the weathered rough bearded curmudgeon replies, "And I you."

I dunno.  Probably not.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Welcome back! So many vets are coming back in the last few years.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I've been here all along (from 2001) and I don't even want to think about how old I am.
I'd rather be lucky than good.

you play a text game where we pretend to be mighty desert warriors and thieving elves in tyool 2022 - we're all weird, my man.

Also, several of us are similarly aged.

I mean, I don' wanna flex or nothing, but I remember fighting wild muls outside of Tuluk from my dorm room in the late 90's. . . and logging onto ISCA where we couldn't talk 'bout Arm in the Mudding forum.   

We around.

Some of us have been around for 30 years pretty consistently and taught certain members (maybe one member) 25 years ago.  Some of our kids make fun of them for playing a text based game and don't understand that some of us will probably play well into retirement (which some of us are getting close to, imagine how much they'll play then!) as long as Arm keeps going.

Is this someone weird?  You bet and have been for thirty years, ,and maybe another thirty more?  Keep it coming!

Quote from: Olafson on December 27, 2022, 09:58:16 AM
Some of us have been around for 30 years pretty consistently and taught certain members (maybe one member) 25 years ago.  Some of our kids make fun of them for playing a text based game and don't understand that some of us will probably play well into retirement (which some of us are getting close to, imagine how much they'll play then!) as long as Arm keeps going.

Is this someone weird?  You bet and have been for thirty years, ,and maybe another thirty more?  Keep it coming!

When I got back into Arm in late 2020, my teenaged son asked me what I was playing/doing.  I explained it to him, and he said "Sounds dumb" and walked out, lol.  Thanks son for dismissing in two words something I've played and loved off and on for 30 years.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

my wife was shocked when she learned i player 2 years after out marriage, first she thought it i was cheating her. then she checked game logs searched for some keywords found out other PC females were there. i spent 2 days explaining her what it is actually. she still mocks me to this day, telling wish it was cheating. she finds the game scary weird, and is convinced i have mental issues.

Quote from: najdorf on December 27, 2022, 02:42:58 PM
first she thought it i was cheating her

lol exactly what my girlfriend thought last time I logged in months ago. Haven't really logged in since (tried to MUD 3 days ago but my GF saw and made me play chess with her instead).

I have no idea what it is about a fantasy game on a terminal that makes some women [and possibly men but I don't date em and wouldn't know] go "Aaaaah scary, my partner must be sexting people." Maybe it's the extent to which it absorbs my attention which threatens her?

Glad OP isn't dealing with such a problem but nice to know I'm not the only one who's been through it!

I actively avoid discussing Arm with wife and kids. They have private hobbies, this is mine. I told them "It is like NC-17 D&D" and they let it go at that.

Ppaying 22 years? Something like that. I remember the old gdb and playing very casually for a year or so. When the new/current GDB hit was about the time me and Arm got serious.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Nah, you ain't alone.  There's a very particular itch that only Arm seems to scratch so people who get accustomed to that itch seem to never be able to just let it go.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: LXXXVIII on December 27, 2022, 02:55:38 PM
Maybe it's the extent to which it absorbs my attention which threatens her?

As someone who has been with someone who played who wasn't playing, and someone who eventually wound up playing anyhow, honestly, it was that for me. I resented the hell out of the fact that for sometimes 10 hours on a stretch nothing I said sank home and I would sometimes have to wait three to five minutes for someone to finish typing before they even acknowledged that I existed. That's not a good feeling to have. I honestly still don't like that, because I will gone in a hot second if my attention is needed by my s/o. I don't even give a fuck, RL first unless my pc is actively dying. But I suppose it takes all kinds.

@OP: Been playing on and off since 2009. Not weird.

I started out prior to 2003, I know that much. Had a fairly turbulent childhood and this was something of an escape when I was in High school even though I started to form healthy friendships and was involved in lot of stuff.

Around 2004-2005 I know I had accumulated enough karma on the old system for a fire elementalist and that character spanned my time in basic training. I remember during my tech school training I would go log in on the weekends to play for a little bit.

Fast forward almost 20 years later, and here I am.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Y'all admit it... we're in a cult.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.