Small Villages, Camps, and Outposts

Started by Twilight, November 26, 2003, 08:08:04 AM

Would you like more or less out of the way "open" villages, outposts and camps?

More.
32 (88.9%)
Less.
3 (8.3%)
Destroy them all!
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: December 16, 2003, 08:08:04 AM

Used to be, a while ago now, that if you were travelling down from Luirs to Allanak, you stopped by at the Salarr Outpost, rested up your mount and maybe bought/sold a weapon.  Then it got destroyed.

Used to be, on your way to Mal Krian, you could stop by a Kadian shop.  Then it got destroyed.

Used to be, a while ago now, if you wanted different sort of mount, you went over to Mal Krian.  Then it got destroyed.

Used to be, if you were travelling from Nak up to Tuluk, you'd end up stopping at Luirs.  Then, from what I have read, it...well you get the picture.

I liked those small, out of the way places.  My favorite places are still those few out of the way places of some degree of civilization that pretty much anyone can go to.  They've slowly been getting killed off though.  Perhaps this is to concentrate playerbase.  Perhaps all in the name of RP.  Maybe they are just destroyed when they get too well known, then replaced by ones people don't know about (this one is my hope!).

I'd like to see a few more out of the way villages, camps etc. pop up though.  It doesn't have to be large.  It doesn't have to even be big enough to support a player living there.  Maybe a nomad camp you can enter, that has a single merchant.  Maybe a village with a quit room and a place to buy food.  Little places.  Places with color, and their own atmosphere.

IC'ly, of course, these places exist.  They are the nomad camps, the hidden places filled with refugees, etc.  I imagine most of them are closed to outsiders.  But a few would be open to them, I would think, at least for basic trade.  Trade that maybe would be along the ways that merchants used to make their money.  Buy low here, sell high there.  Trade in things a bit too exotic for the cities.  Or maybe just different.

Do you like these kind of places?  Do they add to the game for you, by adding in those hidden places it is fun to discover?  Or do they detract from the game, spreading out the playerbase, making for "elite" players who know all the little places like that?  Or should they all just be destroyed in wonderfully colorful ways until just Allanak and Tuluk remain?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I am always in support of new places. In fact, I prefer that the new places that you mention mostly be just as you have thought of...small, colorizing places. You know, for example, that Tuluk has a few surrounding villages. Where are they? There is one, and you risk halflings to get there.

What about the various nomad camps? Let's see more elven markets, more broken wagons, more raider camps...let's see more, period, in terms of world size, world contants, and world flavor.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing a new outpost or two spring up that people frequent. It'd be nice for a change. Maybe make it small with absolutely nothing to do: a tavern (with a quit room), a grocer's, and a few merchants and that's it.

Cenyr and Red Storm East are like this, if I recall correctly.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Oh...  :shock: That would be great...
You and a band of warriors are heading off to a little known village when you chance upon a raiding camp.. And you figure you could easily take it over.. do you do it?

Anyways.. that would be really great if there were more littles places..